Fibromyalgia is a type of rheumatism

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just doing some research which I do from time to time and knew this from the beginning when I was told my issue is FM.    

Fibromyalgia is a type of rheumatism which affects muscles and ligaments but not joints.  Not only does it cause aching, stiffness and tiredness in muscles, tendons and ligaments around joints, but the worst aspect of fibromyalgia may be the muscle fatigue, tiredness, lack of energy, and lack of endurance that can be severe enough to disrupt personal and family life. It may affect one or several different parts of the body such as limbs, neck or back.  Less frequently, symptoms include: tingling, numbness, poor circulation or swelling of the hands and feet, irritability, feeling low or weepy, forgetfulness and poor concentration, irritable bowels, and waking up feeling tired. 

Of course symptoms like these can have other causes - your doctor can help decide whether any further tests or advice are required. 

There is unfortunately, no specific blood or x-ray test for FMS

What causes Fibromyalgia? 

There is no single specific cause of fibromyalgia but research has revealed that people with fibromyalgia lose deep sleep.  Lack of deep sleep may have several causes and more than one cause may affect any particular individual, e.g.-  the pain, stiffness and stress of an injury or of a disease like arthritis, emotional pain, anxiety or the sadness of bereavement all may reduce restorative sleep.  Once fibromyalgia sets in there is a vicious cycle producing more pain and more sleep disturbance. This can be enough to cause mild depression even if this was not present initially.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Joy I totally agree with your research . I have had this horrible condition plus other stuff going on but at least now its recognised as a chronic condition.....I am sure your research helps other's.... Thank you for your comments and wish you and other member's well. Regards Brenda
  • Posted

My gramdma and mom and sisters talked about their rheumatism many many years ago....I never heard the word Fibro until 1999 when the endo I went to see, said you have Fibro....

I sleep deeply and it took a lot of hits and misses to get the right sleep combo..today the fibro pain is not that horrible for me, but I deal with OA and a mess from hip replacement....so a lot of other pains going on.   My apt looks like a supplement health store.   J

• Posted

Damned this condition plus OA plus CS ....the pain goes on....I am just coming out of a massive flare.........4 Days in bed needed help with bathroom needs.....I have a brilliant understanding husband and family x
    • Posted

I don't have many flares and maybe due to all the supps I take...and no fog stuff....and I t hink that is due to grape seed extract.....  no husband here and a daughter who is raising teens on her own.....the kids dad died last year of cancer so I'm thankful no cancer.....things  can always be worse.  J
    • Posted

Joy so sorry about your sad loss....     Are you living in USA? Can you not get any carer's in to help if you have insurance?
    • Posted

Brenda, I'm in Southern Calif.   and live in a small apt which is very adequate for me...love my living alone life....  When I have heavy cleaning to get done, I have someone come into clean.  Otherwise I keep things up.

Do you take thyroid support?    Do  you take supps for what  you deal

with.....  What is CS?     You are probably in the UK, right?

I was "trying" for 10 yrs to get thyroid "food" and the doc I was seeing was not on the ball and I knew nothing back then...this was 1991-2002.

Finally got on thyroid help in 2002 and I was 63 thinking back to my age....so I was believing I needed thyroid for a good 10 yrs.

My thinking NOW, is that if I had been on thyroid "food" when the trauma hit me, I could have been saved some from all this nerve clamity.   And then the trauma of surgery hasn't been a positive for the nervous system....   I have a lot of time to think....

There is so much info on the thyroid and FM connection... 

• Posted

Joy,

I admire your determination to carry on ....bravo.

CA is Cervical spondilitis along with Anckilosing spondilitis in discs C 5 6 and 7....Thoracic Arthritis plus visual problems... Had nerve conduction test's done but negative as my theumatologist thought I had M S..........OK I am 57 and yes live in England Manchester. Hey nice to meet a new friend in this huge world that don't accept us xx

• Posted

I am suffering all the time with the aches and pains. Sometimes I wish I could just stay in bed but with me as soon as I lie down and am just about to drop that's when the pain starts. I also suffer with the fog side of it. Some days I don't even know what day it is. I also have a very supporting circle of family and friends who are very patient with me. Sending love to all. X
  • Posted

Yes we who have FM are in a catagory with many complications. However, I take them one at a time as I have a great RHUMY and we address each one the best we can. 

Know ur triggers.

stay with a good diet.

exersice or walk.

sleep studies at hospitals has helped me a lot. Always stay with a bed time routine.

Take med at the same time every day weather RX DMARDS , bios, or OTC.

stay informed.

check with teaching hospitals for studies in UR area. 

And so much more on this site under RA solutions.

im just glad I'm not living when my grandmother had RA..there was nothing then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.