Fibromyalgia or Anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I wont go into to much detail (feel free to check previous posts) but about 3/4 months ago all of a sudden had a panic attack supposedly (first ever one) and since then have had chest pain, hip/rib pain mainly on left side.

Doctors (3 in total) say it is anxiety and I am now taking sertraline but am not happy as have put about a stone in weight on in the last 8 weeks whichI think is making these pins worse. Doctor advisrd use ibu gel for the past 4/5 weeks and as of Friday jjst gone was given omeprazole and ibuprofen for internal use but it doesn't seem to be helping. Doctor said it may be costochronditis hence the ibuorofen but I still dont believe it.

The pain is there 80% of the tine sometimes when laying down, sometimes moving, sitting down and when I push on the area I can feel the pain almost like a bruised feeling. The other night I couldn't even take a deep breath without this bruised/stabbing feeling

Fibromyalgia has popped up a couple times but I havent a clue just fed up feeling this worse way. Worse Christmas in almost 29 years of being alive

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi there,

I really feel for you, its misery when you are unwell and dont know whats going on!

do you have any other symptoms at all... i say others as fibromyalgia has so many.

ive recently been diagnosed after several test to rule other things out.

i also suffer with anxiety and depression.

The new tablets will need time to work for the anxiety i know having a new tablet can be very hard at first, but stick with it if only to see if it does help.

keep a record of your aches and pains to show your doctor if they persist.

the weight gain may be temporary we sometimes turn to food well i do!

RE fybromyalgia its very complex well it is to me.

If you dont feel well mentally it comes out in the aches pains headaches lack of concentration my knees ache ankles wrists all over and bruise easealey every day i have to go for a lay down. Get tired so quick after doing simple tasks. then paying for it the next day. Headaches that can lasts for days.

if you think you do have this tell your Dr they will do tests as i said to rule out other things but theres no one test for it.

Also anxiety is so very cruel and has so many symptoms makes people think they are having a heart attack very cruel.

i hope things pick up for you!!

vicky xx

• Posted

hi

i tried to reply to you! goodness knows whats going on!,

ill try to pm you if you don't mind?

vicky

• Posted

Hi

That is fine, normally they moderate if there is a web link etc in the reply...... who knows haha

• Posted

I have costochondritis and it sounds just as you describe it. I also have PTSD, depression, and constant anxiety (mostly the kind you don't really know you have) which leads to muscle tension and an increase in pain. I mostly have ribcage and sternum pain; it almost feels bruised. And although I used to get flare-ups, it's been pretty constant for months.

I also have the constant problem of not being able to take a deep breath. The ONLY thing that has helped me is massage. I have a massage therapist who does myofascial release and it really helps. She says that all of my muscles are very tight and bunched up and likely causing a lot of my pain. I also have hip pain and she said I have large knots in the muscles there.

Of course, I also have fibro; not sure which is worse.

• Posted

have you been diagnosed with fybro?

im still learning how to live with it, good days bad days aches pains tired have to have a lay own every day!

on my pm to you ive put my symptoms theres so many!!

i hope that you can get some help re this, its very complex if you are not well mentally it will make the aches pains headaches worse. its all to do with the pain receptors and messages not getting through to the nerves?

very complicated

i will say my DR says i have to get my mental health right and then we can work on the fybro which im doing now.

feel for you, its so awful! i mean i don't know how i'm going to feel each day! it dictates my life!!

im trying swimming that helps a lot.

feel free to pm me if you would like

take care

vicky

• Posted

Most Doctors aren't keen to diagnose Fibro.

This makes it hard on you. I am no Doctor but you have given more to say anxiety rather than Fibro.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.