Fibromyalgia or Vitamin D?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

So for many years now I've dealt with a lot of pain. My earliest memory of this was in school, I had a lot of aches and pains in my legs and lower, middle & upper back, plus headaches. My GP at the time put it down to stress and growing pains, so I thought it was that too. I had to quit dance during school due to the pain also. When I left school and started college (I did a Uniformed Public Services course which is like army-type training if you want to be in the police etc.) and that course required a lot of physical activity, I was 16 at the time and I remember trying my best but getting a lot of compensatory pain afterwards which was added onto the pain I had anyway. I had to sit out most times and this was noticed by my teachers and I remember one told me it was a waste of time me doing the course and they told me I was just “lazy” and that got to me massively and even got me thinking that perhaps I am lazy... I left college when I was 19 and now started going towards being a veterinary nurse (I decided against training for the police after what the staff member said, I didn't want to be unreliable) I'm now at the age of 22 and I work at a vets but the pain is still as bad as ever, plus other points of my body are now hit with it. I booked an appointment at the doctors and wrote everything down so I don't miss anything out and he said it sounds like Fibromyalgia, so he set me an appointment to have my bloods done to rule various things out and this was last week and he said it could take at least 4 weeks for all the results to come back. I got a letter today (10/2/18) from the GP saying I have very low Vitamin D and I have an appointment with him next week... Now, I've had blood tests before and they've all tested for Vitamin D and other things, and they've all come back fine so I know for a fact it isn't just that. I am very convinced I have Fibro and at this upcoming appointment I don't want to be brushed off. Can you have both low Vitamin D & Fibro? I just don't want it to be a waste of time, it took me a lot to book that appointment and tell the doctor everything as I've been telling myself it's going to be fine but now it's just too much. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

After having read thousands and thousands of posts of fibro-patients, I can tell you that low Vitamin D and fibro go hand in hand. Seemingly not causing each other but being both caused by the same cause. Hope it helps a little...

• Posted

I've had both - vit d was < 10 and took shots to bring it up thinking it the deficiency causing all the pain and fatigue but later on was diagnosed with fibro. Had my uric acid, RA and CBC, Vit B12 done too. 

• Posted

Hi, yes you can have both. I have extremely low vitamin D, so I have to take supplements regularly now. Fibromygia just doesn't have enough research that 🏝 the problem. Try things like yoga and meditation for short term relief.

• Posted

9 of 10 patients with Fibro have lack of vitamin D .. mine was so low and i get the pills ..Magnesium too .. ask your dr to check your Magnesium level.. feel better.
    • Posted

Do you take Vitamin D every day ?

​We do not have Vit D testing here and so I was reluctant to take it, unless I knew I really was lacking it. I do spend a lot of time outdoors in the sun.

​I did not realize that so many Fibro patients lacked Vit D

• Posted

I take vit D 50000 every week.. I am at the sun during the day too but my Vit d was super low 😕

• Posted

I have had very similar experience, I was overjoyed when my blood showed extremely low Vitamin D because I New that this can cause a lot of the symptoms I had, however several months on having taken supplemental vitamin D my symptoms persisted, Fast farward several years and many blood tests, ex rays and scans later, all showing no problems, the consultant rheumatologist came to the conclusion that I must have fibromyalgia, then it seems you are virtually on your own, this is my experience. I also have an under active thyroid and have been taking medication for this for over thirty years, and restless legs and take Ropinirole 2mg with Pregabalin 150mg if additional meds are required. Living with this is a challenge my heart goes out to all my fellow sufferers, only we know how difficult every day life can be. Last summer I had several months remission it was both wonderful and sad because it highlighted all the life I had lost over many years, this condition is life changing for thousands of people, with little help from the medical profession.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.