fibromyalgia, PMR or both?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was originally diagnosed with cfsabout 14 years ago then fibromyalgia shortly after. I have steadily got worse over the years and about 4 or5 months ago could barely cope with the pain and couldn't function due to the horrendous fatigue. Several weeks ago I raised the possibility of PMR with my gp. My inflammatory markers have been raised on every blood test I have had over the last 15 years or so. I was started on 20mg of pred for a week then 15mg for the following 4 weeks. I am due to have another blood test next week then I will see my gp the following week. I feel so much better on the pred, my fatigue is so much improved and much less pain.

I'm wondering though do people have fibromyalgia and PMR together or do you think that it's been PMR all along? Thanks in advance, Deb

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello.

I am thinking from what you say that you have always had both. I have

FMF, RLS, and overwhelmig fatigue. The pain is unbearable these days

so I understand your pain. I would personally go backb to my GP to

organize exactly if have both I had both.

Good luck.m

• Posted

Hi, yes it is possible to have both hence the pred working for you. Hopefully your inflamatory marker will now come down. Mine are also always elevated and blood tests show my esr to be between 28 and 68 and my crp around 17. The fatigue is awful and some days I can't even get out of bed during the day at all and the days just fly by and you feel like you have no life. Have you had your thyroid checked? I've just been found to have an under active thyroid and I've started medication I've felt like the old me again. Just a though. Good luck!
    • Posted

What is esr and crp?  My GP is always taking blood samples and has never mentioned these. I have suffered with Fibro since childhood, now 70yrs old and also got M.E. along with 6 other serious illnesses. Regards Anne
    • Posted

Hi Anne, crp and esr are inflamatory and infection markers. ESR stands for erythrocyte sedimentation rate. It is commonly called a "sed rate." It is a test that indirectly measures how much inflammation is in the body. C-reactive protein is produced by the liver. The level of CRP rises when there is an infection or inflammation throughout the body. I hope this helps. Best wishes Paula

• Posted

Hi Gizmo, I already take thyroxine for an under active thyroid. About 5 months ago it was increased from 175mgms to 200 and after 3 months it was increased to 225mgm. I am having a thyroid blood test next week tto see if it has finally stabilized. I had an over active thyroid 22 years ago, had surgery to partially remove it. It then made me go underactive for a few years, it then regrew!!! I had radioiodine to stop it which then made me go very underactive. Since then I have yo yoed with my thyroxine ranging from 150mgm to 225mgm. I know usually when its on its way down as I gain weight and suffer even more fatigue. It's not been a lot of fun...I'm also diabetic just to make sure I never ever 100% well. Deb
    • Posted

Hi Deb, oh dear, poor you to be diabetic too as well as thyroid problems for many years. I have several conditions too and a lot of them seem to go hand in hand with one another. 
  • Posted

Hello, I am new to this forum, but post on the PMR, because for the last three years I have been taking steroids for PMR, and have had Fibro/ME, for many years.  After taking the steroids at first I felt so well, like a car with a new engine, but alas, it dosen`t last....I now have the pain back from the fibro, and the fatigue is creeping back.  The one thing I have learnt over the years, is everyone is very differen with their symptoms of fibro, some people work part-time, some are bed or wheel- chair bound.  If you felt really well on the steroids...that`s the clue to PMR diagnosis....not fibro..Also not everyone`s markers are raised with PMR either.....Hope this helps.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I can't say about the PMR however I have had Fibromyalgia for years and years and arthritis. Now I have CFS, osteoarthritis, FMF (Familial Mediterranean Fever), among others and I Do know that Fibromyalgia Does Come Hand in Hand with MANY other diseases. Especially Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and some form of arthritis. I'm sure glad you are getting relief from the steroids! They have helped me get through flare ups! I've had the dose packs of the little tablets, shots in the hips and a few IVs! It still Amazing to me how much they help! If they weren't so hard on you I'd take an IV everyday! LOL😄😃😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.