Fibromyalgia Rhumi Appointment

Posted , 5 users are following.

You will think I am mad.  I have got my first appointment with a Rhuematologist in 3 weeks.  I have had severe pain off and on for 2 and a half  years. Always in pain and just gone through a patch 3 months with severe pain. At the moment it has calmed down and now I am worried that if I go along to my appointment like this I will not be taken seriously. Any advise please would be really appreciated 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have MS and that's my worry all the time. Write down all your symptoms so far and keep a diary, good luck you're not on your own💮

• Posted

It's probably calmed down a bit because of relief and hope just by getting the appt. Perhaps less worry and allowing yourself to relax a bit has also helped. Our mind remembers experiences and triggers like foods, and weather changes, causes of anxiety like fears , feelings and emotions...

I suggest you write down your health history, health history on both sides of your family then do pain diary to take along. If you've been experiencing hip, back. knee, neck, ankle, elbow pain , i would tell Dr asap then ask for fulll bloods, and some X-ray's and maybe mri so you have some reports to take with you. . I was diagnosed with AS 18 mnths ago and fibro 4months ago. Hope you don't have AS but it sounds like arthritis or nerve pain or both. Sooner you find out, sooner you get educated on it and reduce physical and mental stress in your life the sooner you will get better management and relief. We've all had forced lifestyle changes to some degree with AS and fibro so that we can cope better. Counselling helps lots, hydro, physio, meditation nd Reiki and positive thinking, not over doing it and building a support system for yourself, and venting via these forums. Hope this has been helpful to you Sue and others in similar boat! Lyrica 150mg before bed helps me get decent nights sleep and mild dose endep reduces anxiety nd depression. Panadol osteo helps reduce my joint pain- also sulphazaline and methotextrate. Last we, I had first needle of Humira and certainly have felt some improvement.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advise.  Its a horrible thing and effects us all so much   x
  • Posted

Hi Sue; do as the others have suggested....but just not your pain now, but write down and say Exactly what Type of Pain you are/have been experiencing when you have bad times, and where....what you think causes the increase of pain (eg the weather/emotions/activities etc of the particular time).   These things are known to exacerbate Fibro and CFS, so just because you are not feeling too bad, now, the Rhuemy will understand if he/she gets the "whole picture".  Don;t be afraid of being Honest, and sometimes some have exagerated the level of pain to make the doctor get the right impression, and not tell you "to come back again in 6 months" etc. 

?Have you had scans/x-rays as these will help to clear any other conditions?  ...............keep us informed, even with what your Rhuemy tells you for treatment wise, as some of us have been diagnosed for a long time, and I for one, would like to know if there is any New treatments over the last 6 months or so.                  Thankyou Bron

• Posted

Thank you for your help Browyn, lovely welsh name, I really struggled right through the summer the heat made everything much worse.  Take care x
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

I think that both Bic and Jillian make good points.

If I am under any kind of stress I always have a flare up and the pain is horrendous, you have probably dropped down the stress scale a bit now that you have an appointment with the Rheumatologist.  

As the others say, write things down and make notes if you realise what triggers it.  I don't for one minute think that they will not take you seriously, if it's the same as mine, they will do loads of tests, bloods, scans etc.

I hope the appointment goes well for you, let us know how you get on. x

• Posted

Thank you sukes.  Stress does agrivate everything for me.  All the advise given me has been so helpful.  I will let you know how it went.  x 
  • Posted

Hi Sue.  Definately go Sue and I am sure you will be believed. I had been in severe pain for 3 weeks by the time I got an appointment to see a rhumaologist it had gone or atleast eased up.  She did a check on me at certain points and then said I think its fibromyalgia but ordered a MRI scan just in case it was spinal arthritis.  Luckily it wasnt too serious but was fibromyalgia which has sadly now caused me a lot of pain, loss of earnings etc.  I hope you get sorted and let me know how you get on.  I also find its best to pace yourself when doing tasks.Take care,
  • Posted

Thanks you so much for your advise.  Sat down this afternoon and made a list of  symptoms very long.  It is not until you write these down you understand yourself what you are dealing with. x 
    • Posted

That is so true Sue, I know when I did it, I felt like crying and like you only then started to understand what I was having to deal with.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.