Fibromyalgia symptoms?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone.

As you all have before I am sure, I am feeling overwhelmed. I'm incredibly frustrated because I feel like I am getting nowhere. I feel like this is my fault because I just shrugged off the weird pains for so long. And then I wonder, well hell, am I actually feeling the pains? Or are they even that bad? Or do they not seem bad because I've dealt with them for so long??

I just dropped close to $1,000 on MRIs (after ultrasounds and a CT scan - even nerve conductivity and EMG) - good news is that I don't have MS which I am very thankful for. I have some neuropathy in my left arm that may be remedied by a fairly simple surgery. Ok, that explains my left arm tingling/weakness.

I feel random electrical sorta feeling shocks down my arms and legs - definitely are worse when I am stressed. Which is likely why my doc told me 10 years ago it was my anxiety. My new doc wants to explore this as she doesn't believe anxiety would be causing this. It feels like sciatic pain but in my arms, legs, and back - some times my left jaw (which is weird... I have my wisdom teeth removed 3 years ago - but it some times hurts around the same area). My doc put me on a low, low dosage of Cymbalta a few months ago before I saw my neurologists. It doesn't seem to affect the pain - but it has been helping with an issue I've been having with obsessive thoughts (I am also on Wellbutrin and have anxiety and panic disorder). I still have some pelvic pain (I have had ultrasounds and CT scans - everything is fine) - it's a kind of dull, droning pain if that back sense, almost feels like my lower back - hell, maybe it is. It's there almost always. Was misdiagnosed as having interstitial cystitis. A urologist agrees that he doesn't think I have it either. There are certain places on my body that hurt so much when people touch them (maybe this is everyone?) like my sternum and (sorry TMI) but mons pubis. Just thinking about someone putting pressure there makes me physically cringe.

I have headaches a lot. I am tired a lot. But then again, I don't sleep well. I have been driving a lot for my job, and driving has always exhausted me. So I thought maybe that is it - but this has been going on for longer than I've been at this new job.

I am not trying to discredit my doctor. I really appreciate and like her. And I know this is super, super messed up, but I was almost hoping that they would find something in the nerve testing (other than the peripheral left arm neuropathy) because anything is better than not knowing. 

I know everyone's pains and symptoms are different, but do any of mine sound similar? Does it matter that I am, for the most part, able to make myself get out of bed and go to work, etc, etc? I know this is kind of long, but to anyone that takes the time to read and response: I appreciate you. Am just feeling very down and confused tonight and just want to lay under a heating blanket.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Let me tell you something.. wherever you had pain before even a little pain like you said the pain in your wisdom tooth , in your Fibro flare up this little pain turns out to 1000 times worse..

I have the pain on my lower back( kidney area) right under the 12th rib ..It started after my gallbladder removal surgery 6 years ago... whenever I have fibro flare This spot hurts so much ..it radiates to the right side of my belly...For 6 years I thought this pain that comes and goes every couple months is caused by surgery but finally a good Dr said It’s not related to gallbladder removal it’s just fibro attack ..When I get nervous, or after Flu or after heavy work I get my flare up and it hurts.. I just try so hard to deal with it .. hot pad and hot shower helps me .. I hope you feel better ❣️

• Posted

thank you - i really appreciate you. was feeling quite overwhelmed - it helps to know others have felt this and that it's not in my head. <3

• Posted

👋 Hi saudades

Just read your post. Sounds like you are going through what I went through in the very beginning when they were trying to diagnose the fibro. I went through a whole bunch of tests to rule out something else before they concluded it was fibro . A lot of us have the same sign and symptoms so you are not alone. I hurt 😞 in my neck shoulders,lower back, both arms  and weakness in my arms left buttock down my leg into my foot. Very fatigued but I’m very anemic also so that doesn’t help. I take anxiety meds and antidepressants which helps because it can be very discouraging being in so much pain 24/7. But I try to remain positive. I’ve tried so much from physical therapy to meds to natural herbs with no response. Had to stop working in 2016 due to so much pain. So keep us updated on your progress and Stay encouraged. Big 🤗 hugs to you.

• Posted

thank you so much for your response. it really, really helped. i was really frustrated last night, and i'm happy to know there are others that understand.

• Posted

I am feeling the same tonight, very down and unsure of things. I hear what you are saying and can relate. I have been in some sort of pain/discomfort with "odd" symptoms for 17 years. It started with lumbar herniated discs while I was pregnant with my last baby. I was in pain for years and went through chiro, physio, accupuncture, surgeons, massage, and a great great deal of narcotic pain meds. I finally received nerve blocks which helped a great deal. I was tested for MS, arthritis, lupus, celiac, and more because along with the sciatic pain came facial numbness, tingling in my ears, problems with bowls and more. Most of the pain was explained by the disc issues but small things continued to happen. A couple of years ago I also herniated 2 discs in my neck which caused severe shoulder, arm and hand pain. Again, that explained most of my issues but not all. I have been re-tested for MS. Negative. Everything in my thighs, calves, arms, back, shoulders, feet, hands, chest hurt to the touch. I can't stand anyone grabbing me as it sends me through the roof. They thought I had hip bursitis so I had 6 cortisone shots in each hip and went to physio. Nothing helped. Everything feels like it is severely bruised. I have major head fog and can't think straight half the time. I forget things that people have told me...I forget how old I am...I feel I need to concentrate so hard to just get through the day and seem normal, it makes my head hurt. I have not slept well for 17 years due to the pain and having periodic limb movement disorder with periods of insomnia. I have also had iron deficient anemia up until 2 years ago when I finally had a uterine ablation. I still take Oxycodone for pain when I can't stand it anymore.  I have been on Cymbalta for years for depression. I am a person who kept going at life and didn't let it slow me down too much. I have recently been told by my new doctor that I have Fibromyalgia and when she tested my pressure points, most of them sent me through the roof. It explains so many of my symptoms over the years but I still find it hard to believe and accept. I am not sure where to go from here. I am feeling very old and very tired and it is effecting my ability to work and function at home. Do you relate to anything I am going through? There are so many more things that happen but it is hard to jot it all down! I see a urologist for a cyst I have on my kidney and he feels I don't have fibro because I am not debilitated enough...my mind is debilitated for sure lol! Then...I wonder what else could it be?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.