Fibromyalgia & Tinnitus

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone know if there's a connection to Fibromyalgia and tinnitus? 

In view that there's no cure for either one of them and I have suffered with both symptoms for 25 years, I was curious if any connection can be made to the two of them.

Thanks for your help!

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Glenn. It must be a connection because I suffer from both also! Do your ears buzz?
    • Posted

mine do more of a hiss.. constant.. Pitch is high. Mostly constant. Every now and then I'll catch a day where it's not as loud. I am suffering some hearing loss now and it's so frustrating.

• Posted

Have you seen a rhumy. I have taken demands, cymbals and bio drugs all helped so much. Had to stop due to side effects.

Read about a clinical trial that anti vitals may help due the the latent herpes zoster shingles virus in our backs once we have chicken pox as a child. that gives us some hope.

just looking good is the old adage , Can't judge a book by it cover ! It's how this progressive disease makes us feel on the inside. 

Thats why I take OTC Meds they too have many side effects.

take care see a rhumy soon.

• Posted

Yes, Hope, I was under the care of a Rheumy for many years. I do not see him any longer as he retired and I didn't want to start with a new one and there didn't seem to be much advancement on treating fibro over the years. 

My ears have a mind of their own and when they're as loud as they are right now, it's so difficult to make much sense of it and thinking nothing is going to work.

Have you heard of any surgery for the ears? Someone told me there's a surgical procedure that could help tinnitus but I've never heard of it. Somehow they actually drill a hole in the ear drum or somewhere in the ear? Sounds like more misery to me.

• Posted

Hi, I have had Tinnitus for many years and I have learnt to almost ignore it.  I have now found since having Fibro that it is far worse and can't be ignored.  Even watching tv or listening to music will not mask it.  I have also noticed that noise even in the background can really agrivate it.  The other thing I have been having problems with is bright light eg If the sun is shining when washing dishes in my sink that is by the window I need to wear a pair of sunglasses.  Firbo seems to cause so many strange things in our bodies.  Hope you find this helpful.

• Posted

Hi Sue - you are certainly right about Fibro being the great pretender of a lot of different maladies. There were many times I went to the hospital ER thinking I was having a heart attack only to learn my fibro flare was in rare form. 

Similar to you, I can live around my tinnitus but when it peaks out and is so loud from the time you get up until the time you go to bed, you feel like you've done battle all day with yourself. I pray for miracles. 

The last visit to my doctor, I asked him if when I die, I would still hear that miserable loud hissing sound.. Of course, I was being a smart guy and although he found it comical his reaction from a doctor was typical.

My doctor also says that tinnnitus is the early signs of losing your hearing. As he put it, I'm in the middle of the cycle right now. As the tinnitus worsens and heightens, my hearing will diminish to the point where I will lose my hearing completely. I then asked him again, if I will be able to hear the disgusting hissing and buzzing. He said, no... So, I guess either way, this is not a story with a good ending..

More than noise my tinnitus is aggravated by having a beer, certain OTC meds like Alleve, certain foods, aspertame, salts and sugars and dramatic weather changes like we experience here in New England. 

I hope your eyes adjust better.. that must be nerve racking.. 

We all need a break!!!!!! 

• Posted

There certainly is a connection, I have both and sadly tinnitus it is a known symptom of fibro. Gives you the s***s hey????
    • Posted

It has to be all around brain chemicals. I know it has something to do with serotonin levels in the brain the interfere with every bodily function from eyesight as Sue stated above to IBS, cognitive issues, chest pains that feel like a heart attack, etc, etc, etc.. So, yes, IBS, plays a big role with it. How long have you dealt with it, Dippy?
  • Posted

Hi Glenn;  I have read some of the other comments re Tinnites/vertigo and headaches etc; and feel that it is probably all to do with the Fibro, myself, for having been reading this forum for probably about 12 months now, there have been Many comments on same....one lady in particular is driven very mad with her ear-aches/tinnites etc, and has been told it is a symptom of fibro, although not officially listed (that I know of).

?I, too, get dizziness, which has been getting worse this last few months, and have had GP and physio telling me "it's the crystals in my inner ear, which they have tried to re-align....and of course with no success....surprise, surprise....).......Bron

• Posted

Thanks, Bron... I am beginning to believe that the tinnitus, hearing loss, vertigo and all the rest of it, go hand in hand with Fibro. I never made the connection before and I should have. 
  • Posted

hi glen  shortly after being diognosed with fibro i developed tinnitus and problems with hearing. I now wear 2 hearing aids which help with the tinnitus  my ENT doc told me it can get better with time and  yes i think there is a strong connection with the 2 conditions
    • Posted

Thanks, Christine... Do the hearing aids mask the tinnitus completely? Hearing aids are so expensive but definitely worth the cost, that's for sure. I was just curious what they do for the actual hissing.. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Glenn,

I finally was diagnosed with fibro about 2 months ago on top of  severe myofascial pain and numerous other conditions. I also have had tinnitus for almost 2 years in both ears along with some hearing loss, sometimes it's hissing other times ringing. It pulsates and is louder with movement of my head neck and jaw. In addition to that I have frequent outer ear infections and very itchy ear canals. I'm from New England area as well and my ENT has given me the option of hearing aids to help drown out the tinnitus by amplifying the ambient sounds around me. He also said they have a white noise setting in them that can be used while sleeping to mask the ringing and hissing. I'm still debating on getting them because of the frequent ear infections. 

• Posted

Hi Tracey - so sorry to hear about your issues with the ears. It seems we are in about the same position. I have been given several hearing tests and my high range hearing is 80% gone and the tinnitius doesn't help it much. I do much better with the hearing tests when my tinnitus isn't screaming loud. I am reluctant to go with the hearing aids right now though because my left ear has started this clogging business that I think is related to sinuses. I'm going to see an ENT that specializes in sinuses and ears. My ears today have been at the lowest decibel in a long, long time. I really don't want the day to end because I know how short term it is. I know when I make up tomorrow this fairly silent period will be gone. Let me know if you go with the hearing aids and if they help with the noise. Also, let me recommend to put a humidifiier in your rooms you spend the most time with. I have found with the two humidifiers I bought, they have helped with the ears. At least enough to notice. 

I hope you feel better soon. Stay in touch... 

BTW, the things that aggravate my ears and intensifies the ringing is, alcohol, alleve, short cat naps, various meds, aspertame and other sweeteners, change of seasons and a fibromyaglia flare, just to mention a few. Do you use any cortisone creams for the outer ears and itching?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.