Fibula Fracture

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

27 Oct. I fractured my R fibula due to a simple fall. 1 week brace plus 3 weeks plaster. Doctors not very much with patients so im very uninformed with the issue. Its my first bone to break

First doctor saw me said that its simple oblique fracture needs at least 3 weeks of immobilization. Ultrasonography showed no tissue or bond damage.

Second doctor conservatively wants me to at least 6 weeks NWB in plaster. Im 25 male and consider myself healthy

I upload my first x-ray

After 6 weeks can I walk without crutches?

Let's discuss a bit im bored in 3 weeks smile

thanks in advance for all considerations

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Wow.  I wish my ankles look as great as yours.  Just take care of the ankles.  Those are your weak links in your legs.  Take care, get well and do your rehab and you will recover.
  • Posted

Hello Batu,

It is very important to work closely with your doctor on proper treatment. If your doctor won't open up and discuss all aspects of your injury and treatment then it is time to go doctor shopping.

You're lucky you have a simple oblique fibula fracture-- no surgery required. But it is crucial that you keep that ankle immobilized as long as x-rays and doctor's expert opinion demand.

Period of non-weight bearing is usually an attending physician's call based on x-ray evidence of bone mending and based on their experience and judgement. Usually a patient goes from NWB to partial weight bearing (in a boot), and then to full weight bearing. Again, it depends on how fast you are healing and a doctor's opinion. Doctor's opinions can very widely from one doctor to another-- there doesn't always seem to be a rhyme or reason for ranges of opinions.

For a successful recovery, you need to determine extent of ligament damage that may also have occurred in a fibula fracture. Again, if ligaments were torn it will be necessary to protect ankle until they are ready for full weight-bearing and movement. Otherwise, you may risk ankle instability from unhealed soft tissue, and the possibility of arthritis (and possible reconstructive surgery) later on.

This all may seem very boring but you need to take your injury seriously.

• Posted

Hello I’m 19 had broke my ankle and have 4 screws in my foot now 4weeks In recovering starting to get the feel of my foot and the screw I think  sometime hurt  but no as much I’m on a boot have it on 24/7 take it off everyday for about 30/45 min then put the boot back on Haven’t started putting weight on it Will I ever be back to normal ? How long does full recovery take ?  be Thinking so much bout my future needti get back  Need advice? 
  • Posted

Are you a Weber B? I ask because it looks a bit higher than mine (which is graded as a Weber A). Your NWB requirements sound similar to mine. I was originally assessed at needing 6 weeks, it was later reduced to 4 weeks due to my progress with ankle ROM exercises (NWB ones). I had plaster for a week and then an aircast, which I highly recommend if you can get them to prescribe one (as it allows you to do daily ROM exercises on your ankle which will speed things up when you are allowed to start weight bearing). I used an iWalk 2.0 instead of crutches (its a knee crutch). You might want to look into that as it would give you a lot more freedom during the NWB phase (having hands free is great, and once you get the hang of it, walking is easy).

I went from NWB to fully weight bearing in my boot in three days (no crutches at the end of that). I believe that to be on the speedy end of the usual time ranges. I attribute it to keeping my upper body and legs in good condition with the knee crutch. At 6 weeks I was allowed to walk without the boot. I just did it... no crutches were needed. I just made sure I had a very supportive pair of shoes (I went with a spendy new pair of backpacking/hiking boots as hiking is my sport of choice).

I had atrophy in the lower right leg only and with intensive sports med physio-therapy it is improving a lot. I'm currently 9 weeks post injury and at about 80-85% of normal now I'd estimate.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story Carolyn, doctors didnt say anything but as far as I search on the internet yes its weber b type fracture.

Its been 4 week until the injury today i tried to give some weight it did not hurt there was no pain at all. I guess its a positive sign of healing. Next week i will see doctor I hope to see some tangible progress on xrays and take off the plaster.

• Posted

Good luck at your next checkup and I hope they let you out of your plaster so that you can begin to work on walking again. Be sure to ask for a PT referral. I did not need one for regular PT (because my ROM was so good) but I did get one for a sports med PT (which I pay for out of pocket and get some of it reimbursed by my employer group health insurance) which has been amazing... well worth any out of pocket expense! Keep us posted on your progress smile
    • Posted

Hello I’m 19 had broke my ankle and have 4 screws in my foot now 4weeks In recovering starting to get the feel of my foot and the screw I think  sometime hurt  but no as much I’m on a boot have it on 24/7 take it off everyday for about 30/45 min then put the boot back on Haven’t started putting weight on it Will I ever be back to normal ? How long does full recovery take ?  be Thinking so much bout my future needti get back Need advice 
    • Posted

That sounds about right for 4 weeks. You definitely have your young age on your side - younger bones do tend to recover more quickly and completely than older ones smile

I did not have to have surgery, so my experience is a little different. Did they give you some ankle ROM exercises to do while your boot is off? I did a set three times a day (point and flex, circles both directions and writing the alphabet with my toes) and that really helped me once I was allowed to begin weight bearing in the boot as I had about 85% of my normal ROM. I'm not sure how long to full recovery when you have screws - will they be in permanently, or are there plans to remove any of them at a later point?

• Posted

Haven’t spoken to my Doctor about the screw being remove but also he told me start Doing 1 exercise with a towel and pull it back I do that sometime and move foot forward and backwards all the time Thank you for replying back and reading it appreciate a lot be depressed at Time about get back. so that I’m young should I’ll recover well hopefully 
  • Posted

Just came from orth. he opened my xrays taken 3 weeks ago and said okey remove the cast but do not bear any weight for ONE MONTH. He didnt even bother to order a new xray. Is that even scientific? to not bear any weight two and a half months just for a stable oblique fracture.
  • Posted

Today I went to another doctor. After 5 weeks my fracture disappeared doc couldnt see it on xray. I have been allowed to start partial weight bearing till I find myself sufficient to walk without crutches. Cast removed.

• Posted

Great news! I bet you will be very successful with this next phase of your recovery. Are you doing any PT to help regain your strength and mobility?
    • Posted

Doctor said I dont need any PT sessions. Only thing I should do is to walk with crutches till I eliminate them. Aaand good news today I feel more confident I can walk without crutches within the home of course.
    • Posted

Good news!

I do want to point out though that there is a difference between "need PT in order to actually walk"  and "need PT in order to get back to a 100% functioning ankle + get back to all of your former fitness/recreational activities". My doctor also said that I did not need PT when I was cleared to start walking without the boot at 6 weeks. When I asked about getting back my strength for hiking, cycling, snow-shoeing, etc... she said "Oh you want to see a sports med physio" and so I got a referral for that. I had already booked the appointment (for the very next day... lol) and was prepared to pay out of pocket for it, but appreciated the referral as this way my insurance should pay for a percentage.

I had a custom home training program prepared for me (based on my needs and altered as I progress), and each time I go in she works on the ankle (deep tissue massage, heel release, whatever is needed) and assesses my progress. There is no way I could have progressed as fast as I did without proper PT. I went hiking this past weekend (hills, paved and unpaved paths, some light bushwhacking... about 8KM over two days) -  I'm 10 weeks post fracture date at this point and my progress is considered to be quite rapid. I credit the PT and my own stubborn determination wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.