Fibula fracture no surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I broke my fibula on 7 May 2016 and was sent for X-Ray. X-Ray shown a broken fibula right into half about 2 inch from ankle with minor displacement. I was on fibreglass for 3 weeks and X-ray still shown the same displaced position except the bone has got 'sticky'. Doctor asked me to start walking but I just feel not right as it is still swelling and my ankle is so stiff. It feels better when I put up my leg in lying position, and whenever I stand up,my leg get swelled. I am worry about the displacement as it looks like my fibula bone isn't straight in position. Need advice.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Def seek second opinion by a good OS.  Sometimes surgery can NOT be avoided but it may PROLONG your recovery due to other possible complications that can be extreme.  Do a lot of research online and on this site "when to have ankle surgery and when it's not okay."  I fractured right fib 2" from ankle bone just like yours. Not sure of any displacement but was given no option except surgery.  Was in so much pain I did not seek 2nd opinion or research.  They operated 6 days later and put in plate with 10 short screws, one very long.  Two weeks post op, was told I needed to non-weight bear another 7 weeks because needed 2nd surgery to take out long screw.  I am 12 weeks out from surgery and still only partial weight bearing with a lot of nerve issue sensations, pain and swelling and still a limp.  Was never explained what I was in for, time frame, etc., even after surgery.  There are a lot of issues that can cause surgery to be a poor choice such as age, phyical condition and other present health conditions that can complicate things.  I still wonder if all this was necessary.  I almost would have rather walked with a limp then go through the surgery. I am 56 and have hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia, osteopina, and peripheral neuropathy, among other back injuries.  All these things should be discussed.  Obviously if surgery needed, the sooner the better but just a caution to do the research and don't think it will be a quick fix with the surgery.  All my best to you.  
  • Posted

If its displaced you'll need surgery. I broke my left fiblua sept 25, 2015. Surgery was oct 9th, bone realigned and a plate with 7 screws. I was playing ice hockey again bt the end of Dec. Get another opinion. 
    • Posted

Thanks. I will get do that. So far my leg keep swelling whenever I stand up, it feels very uncomfortable. By the way, were you on cast after surgery? For how long?
    • Posted

I was in a splint; like a half cast for the week after surgery. After that I was in a walking boot that I could remove when I wanted, that lasted about 8 weeks, then I was in an ankle brace. I was in therapy for 2 times a week for 8 weeks (Dec-Feb)
  • Posted

Hi all.. thank you for all the prayers and advices. I have seek another doctor's opinion and yeah, my anxiety solved. He said as long as the bone is in the right position, the broken fibula will healed beautifully by itself, maybe up to 6 months for full recovery. I was so happy when I knew I don't need any operation. For speedy recovery and ease of swelling: don't stand up for too long; have to put up my leg when I sit down; and practise to walk as it helps the blood circulation. Last but not least- take calcium tablets!
    • Posted

Great news Florence glad your mind is now at rest.

You will get where you want to be it only takes TIME unfortunately.

I am now walking FWB with a walker as of today wearing velcro sandals & so far so good, not walking very far but every little helps. Ankle swells but just put it high on cushions & ice packs do help take swelling down.

Good luck with your recovery. xxx

• Posted

Nice! I had my Calcium, Vitiman D, iron and Thyroid checked as per my insistence when mine didn't heal. All came back absolutely normal. Great to rule it out though.

Don't forget your vitamin D by going out in sun for at least 10-15 mins daily.

You're lucky no op. Its OK, just takes a bit longer.

@(*+*)#

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.