Fibula ORIF 3/15/16 & still can't walk

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

Any advice on my situation?  Seems so long and truly starting to think I am never going to walk again. 

Broke my right fibula on 3/8. Rolled my ankle off my shoe getting out of my car and fell.  I am 56 years old.  Extreme swelling and pain upon movement next 24 hrs, unable to place full weight, I was basically hopping on one foot.  Went to walk in clinic on 3/9.  Did plain xray and said ankle was broken.  Put in splint, given NORCO for pain and crutches to walk NWB until I could be seen by see orthopedic surgeon. 

Went to ortho on 3/10/16, he confirmed break and said needed surgery.  When I looked at xray seemed pretty simple fracture of fibular a couple inches above ankle joint (imagine peeling a banana upside down, the fracture looked like one of the peels were lifted upward 1 to 2 incles).  No other alternatives given except surgery.  Said surgery needed to clean out and fix tendons etc and he probably would put in plate with ONE OR TWO SCREWS for fracture stabilization. 

I woke up from surgery on 3/15 (they scheduled quickly and did not wait till swelling was gone as many of you have stated??) and was placed in hospital overnight.  When I asked the nurse to point where the two screws, she said two?  You had a plate with 10 screws put in and one large screw across the ankle.  "WHAT" I said.  Needless to say, doctor never came to visit before I was discharged the next day, his PA came to look at incision, confirmed the hardware was in fact what the nurse said and discharged me w/2 week f/u.  I also had a 13 1/2 inch incision with 21 staples.  They gave me entire leg nerve block prior to surgery so I was numb without pain at this point.  That was the beginning of my nightmare.  I was in a splint from toes to bottom of know and a wrap.  I was told to NWB, use cruthes to walk (argg) and elevate and ice until my 2 week f/u. 

At 2 week f/u, staples removed, incision healing nicely.  NO CAST.  At that point he gave me a walking boot BUT said ONLY WEAR IT FOR SUPPORT AND COULD NOT BEAR ANY WEIGHT FOR ANOTHER 7 WEEKS.  I literally thought he was joking but not, I think I was in shock.  Within 3 days I called and said that was impossible for me, weight of boot was making difficult to hold up leg while walking on crutches never mind seemingly to put me off balance.  Could not sleep in it as pressure of the boot caused ache and pain in my ankle, especially at the incision site.  They told me it was ok to take off when elevating, sleeping and bathing.  Well, since this was bascially was all I was doing at that point at NWB, I only wore the full boot when I went outside to doc appts or to pharmacy with the help of friends driving me.  I used knee scooter to get around house, using just the inside soft wrap of the boot for support (yes, the frankenstein boot actually comes apart). The full boot .. was too painful, caused swelling, pins and needles, discororation (red and purple) and spasms and electrical type sensations that concerned me that the boot was causing more harm then good.  Even the PT could not understand giving me a walking boot when NWB instructions.  He called doc and he okayed the use of the wrap from inside of boot only since I was NWB.     

He also told me at that appointment that after 7 weeks of NWB I needed a 2nd surgery to remove the big screw and that should relieve some of my discomfort, and then we would re-evaluate for WB.  WHAT, again?  I was terrified to move with that big screw in, he said if I bear weight could cause it to break.

F/U four weeks later, doc said bone healed and could start moving ankle during my physical therapy for ROM but still foot off ground.  Surgery was scheduled 3 weeks from that date.  I was doing PT and my ROM was good and hardly any swelling but I was doing all the PT with my foot off ground or in the air.  My calf muscles, significant atrophy since 2 weeks post op.  Excercises 'off' the floor helped ROM but not the muscle atrophy in calf.  

Just had 2nd surgery on 5/16.  Outpatient.  Large screw removed with two regular stitches.  No nerve block this time.  Actually felt some relief that that screw was gone.  Was off the pain meds for two weeks but started again but only do once a day cause they make me sweat, sick to stomach and itch. 

He told me at that time that I could start "WB as tolerated" with PT and boot.  I was so excited, thought I'd be walking in two weeks or less.  And I was scheduled for a F/U 5/28/16.  PT didn't come for 4 days and only came twice, started me ROM and some weight bearing but it has been sooooo painful to bear weight, again, especially in the boot.  I do them every day but extremely difficult, I still think I'm hurting something due to pain.  Not just an ache, sharp shooting pain.  I am very weak, lost weight, sweat a tremendous amount when doing PT and get so exhaused easily sometimes I feel I am going to pass out.        

Two weeks post op appt. doctor said bone healed nicely.  I told him I was having a lot of trouble weight bearing.  Bearing 'partial' weight causes pain in entire leg, a lot in knee, EXTREME SWELLING in ankle and foot and toes after walking on crutches with boot ...  I can do it but only with a lot of pain, still pins and needles and discoloration and aching when foot down or showing with foot just slightly touching ground.  When doing the PT march, I have to still hold my weight with my arms on counter to put weight on right injured leg.  Am I being too agressive thinkng I should be able to stand on one leg, my injured leg, at this point after 11 weeks?  He didn't answer.  Can anyone out there answer?

He gave me a shot of cortizone in knee thinking some inflamation from the knee walker or a meniscus tear and said that should help with WB. 

It's only been 5 days since that appointment and I am working so hard each day to walk in boot, do excercises, massage, everything, etc, etc.  The shot did not help.  The pain and swelling has gotton worse and is today causing me to back off on the WB.  I should be hearing from PT today to schedule an outside appointment.  (How I'm gonna get there since I'm not cleared for driving is another story ...).  I actually feels as though the ankle is broken again, but now having more nerve pain in entire leg.  Even when I take a deep breath, cough or sneeze I feel an electrical shock in my foot.  Weird.   

My questions:  

1.  Have you all had cat scans and or MRI's prior to 1st surgery or was a plain xray good enough?  It seems to me that more investigation should have been done and something could have easily been missed.  Anyone have advice? 

2.  Should I request scan now and if so, what is best; Cat scan or MRI?

3.  At 11 weeks today and I am going crazy, depressed and overthinking every little twinge of pain.  Need some encouragement.  

4.  If I think I have nerve problems, what type of doctor should I see and what type of tests will they do?  

5.  OR is this just normal and just keep following this doctor's instructions.  

6.  I think I should be walking by now.  So many of you are walking at 8 - 10 weeks (again today 11 weeks since 1st surgery, 12 weeks since accident).  I know I'm 56, and that will take more time, but I think I should be full weight bearing.  Am I not being patient enough?

Surgerys:

3/15/16 lateral malleolus ORIF (think that just means fibular ORIF).

5/16/16 removal on long screw. 

Any advice is appreciated.  Seems so many of you have had worse situations/breaks and are recovering earlier.  Mostly concerned about future complications and causing more injury when WB since so much ache, shart shotting and nerve pain, swelling and other weird sensations. 

Thanks.  Sorry so long. 

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well you're doing WAY BETTER THEN ME I'm 7 months IN surgery 1/10/2017 and still I'm limping large amount of scar tissue is the culprit in my road to recovery, according to my ortho's Iam the reason why my healing didn't go as planned because I didn't follow instructions (TOO PAINFUL) 6 weeks  after I was placed in boot which was excruciating (like you) (the boot caused  pain and discomfort against the incisions. in my case both side of my ankle have plates and screws).. I didn't comply with my pt doing the required excercises  when she WARNED ME this would be the END RESULT. not moving the ankle will cause severe STIFFNESS.. which is the reason why I cannot walk my ROM is good (past 90) But I cannot rotate my ankle it's NO MOVEMENT... my ortho said they were gonna go the back in the O/R and do a MANUAL manipulation Which takes 4hrs to bring my ankle where it needs to be.. I will say our age plays a big FACTOR in recovery when it comes to BONES & JOINTS Iam 48 everyone at my clinic  who have the same injury  started WALKING Already WITHOUT the boot. I will say keep doing what your doing these types of injuries take really long to before we're at  100% but with physical therapy and DETERMINATION we will get there I too was feeling  as though I would NEVER gonna walk again but  I know I WILL about the scans, I was told I CANT have MRI because the metal plates hold RADIATION I can only have X-rays how true 🤷🏻??? Good luck to your road to recovery all the best 

• Posted

I know the feeling, I had my ORIF on ankle 1/10/2017 it’s 8 MONTHS and I Cannot walk I have SEVERVE STIFFNESS AND BARELY ROM.. 2/2/2017 my stitches were removed but only one side because it was so painful my doctor scheduled for 2weeks follow up to remove the other side where the stitches were i was placed in my Boot on 2/16/2017 which was a nightmare I was extremely PETRIFIED of the boot being placed on my ankle because of FEAR of PAIN.. the my foot wasn’t placed in the boot CORRECTLY because I was tensing up I gave the PA Who puts the boots on the patient a really hard time he became disgusting and left my foot as was NOT FLAT INTO the boot when I got home I was in severe pain.. just opening the straps ontop of my foot was EXCRUCIATING..  when I got the boot off it was worst so I KEPT IT ON for 2WEEKS never taking it off my ankle was pointed downward while in the boot for the 2weeks Next  I TOLD my ortho I KEPT MY BOOT ON FOR 2weeks NEVER REMOVING IT.. he took it off to look at it it was MASSIVELY SWOLLEN my ortho said keeping In the boot WITHOUT movement  constricted the circulation and that’s why it was so swollen I NEVER PUT ANY WEIGHT ON MY FOOT while IN THE BOOT it was EXCRUCIATING.. the only pain meds I would take WERE TYLENOL 325mg every 4hrs my.. my doctor WARNED me to BARE WEIGHTS as much as possible  however IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE.. I had physical therapy in Home 2weeks after the surgery while still in cast walking  1 flight   Of stairs which had when I was done had me COVERED IN SWEAT & EXTREMELY WEAK but I got through it.. rotating the ankle I couldn’t do my physical therapist would rotate my ankle very gently but she couldn’t complete it because I couldn’t take the pain.. in May 5/25 my doctor said I had VERY MINIMAL ROM.. and had ACCUMULATED A LOT OF SCAR TISSUE.. which was CONSTRICTING the ROM.. and said he was considering doing a manual MANIPULATION in the O/R To break up the scar tissue and get my ankle to Wear it needs to be. I ASKED HIM when he was going out the order in for PHYSICAL THERAPY..OUT PATIENT  long story short finally after 4 months I started physical therapy at my bone & joint center which Iam still in 2X a week still CANT WALK still can’t push off of the ankle when I walk still have pain where the incisions are when I walk still have swelling STILL NO PROGRESS.. I requested anthropology  because it seems to be the only SOLUTION.. I commend you for your STRENGTH.. I was a WIMP through my recovery process and I guess that’s y Iam where Iam NOW 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.