Fifth metatarsal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke fifth metatarsal 6 weeks ago 

It been a nightmare after 5 weeks dr recommend surgery cuz isn’t healing I’m deficient in vitamin D . She prescribed ergocal 50,000 every week. Last week she saw a little improvement. I have an app next Thursday . I’m just crossing my fingers I’m not a big fan of surgery .hopefully it’s a hope next week .

It’s very depressing not to be able to do things it feels like never will end 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ugh it is the most difficult to be non weightbearing!! I was 67 at the time of my stress fracture, waited 4 weeks with no healing and decided I wanted the best outcome so had my physician put a screw in. Best decision. Had another 4 weeks non weight bearing, 4 in a walking boot then back on my horse.

It guarantees there will not be a  recurrence. Go for it.

It was not painful at all!!! I did however, have a fabulous foot and ankle orthopedic  preform surgery.

Good luck to you!!    

• Posted

Thanks sandi , I’m just very disappointed cuz dr told me  it was a mild no-displaced fracture & i will be back to walk and work in 6 weeks I guess no 😏 I got X-ray last Monday, she said the X-ray looks a little better ... the top of the fractured it doesn’t look so dark ( I don’t know what she means by that ) .

Next app the Thursday the 31 im hoping for the best or I will have surgery or just wrapped it and walk even with pain .

😕

• Posted

sounds like it is starting to heal. I was an X Ray Tech and my husband a retired Radiologist. Problem with this particular fracture is low blood supply therefore SLOW healing and at times recurrence  a year or so later. I have had many accidents because of horses and that particular one was a pain in the ass. I did get very strong arms though!! smile and bought a knee scooter on Craig's list. Best thing ever. OH and my doc sent me a bone stimulator. She swears by them. let us know

• Posted

Hi sandi 

I went to dr this morning. She said isn’t looking much better but isn’t looking bad either 😏at this point she said I should start putting weight on with boot to start making my  foot stronger ( I need some circulation there ) . 

It hurts all over , my toes are so cold 😱I don’t feel them it’s a weird feeling.

X-rays in two weeks, hopefully I can go back to work by the end of June 

Thanks 

• Posted

I broke my 5th metartasal February 28th - pseudo Jones. MT orthopedist has had me in a cam boot for 13 weeks now but I take it off at home and am going through physical therapy with full weight bearing. I really don't understand why the ortho has me in a boot for so long but maybe because I am 64 and have bunions which affect my balance. I also use a bone stimulator. The PT is helping immensely with my ankle which is stiff from lack of use. If I ever have another break, I'll definitely have surgery as it was tough to "lose" 3 months of my life! Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi deb : 

I’m glad you are doing well . I don’t understand every doctor say different things . My doctor told me yesterday full weight bearing but my bone still no healing and she said no physical therapy or nothing until June 14th when I X-ray to see how is healing .

Every thing is a mess 😖my toes hurts , my ankle I have a sharp pain in the side of my foot . I think it will never get over 

Times goes by & still same . 

• Posted

Does the spot where your fracture hurt? My toes and ankle hurt when I walk without the boot which is to be expected for a while. Just work at physical therapy when you have the doctor's ok and do the exercises at home. I warm up my ankle in bed in the morning befor I get out of bed doing the alphabet  with my foot leading with my big toe. The pain is decreasing. Hang in there. It is tough to lose this time, I know!

• Posted

Hi 

Yes , the spot of the fractured hurst 😖 it’s a mild shard pain I’m not walking a lot & being really gently .. little by little . My ankle feels much better 😀my toes are not able to touch the ground completely but much better 😀

Hopefully in two weeks dr give me much better news.i made several app with my physical therapy but I have to cancel everything . It doesn’t make a lot sense to walk full bearing with no complete healing or physical therapy but I need to listen to my dr and body . 

Yes it’s a very slow process , I’m loving this boot with this dry dry heat in Denver 😅.

Good luck 🍀 to you !!

• Posted

Ugh it is the most difficult to be non weightbearing!! I was 67 at the time of my stress fracture, waited 4 weeks with no healing and decided I wanted the best outcome so had my physician put a screw in. Best decision. Had another 4 weeks non weight bearing, 4 in a walking boot then back on my horse.

It guarantees there will not be a  recurrence. Go for it.

It was not painful at all!!! I did however, have a fabulous foot and ankle orthopedic  preform surgery.

Good luck to you!!    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.