Fifth Metatarsal Fracture

Posted , 3 users are following.

Two weeks ago I fracture the fifth metatarsal of my right foot. The xray showed that it was non-displaced and my ortho insisted that I be non-weght bearing for 6-8 weeks. After doing some of my own research, I feel that this is kind of a long time and I am now starting to get anxious (tempted to cut my own cast off). Even if I cut the cast off, I would still use a soft splint that was provided to me through my urgent care faciliy prior to going to th ortho, but having the cast on is giving me anxiety. Any one have anything similar happen? Not being able to walk or drive or do anything for myelf is really making me crazy

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I do sympathise with you as I have broken my fifth metatarsal in a similar fashion.  Apparently there are a couple of schools of thought about the recovery.

My ortho favoured a Darco post op shoe and elbow crutches for the first 6 weeks, taking half weight with the crutches. The reasoning for this is that some weight bearing assists in the repair process.  As I have osteoporosis he was also concerned that if I had a plaster cast I would lose bone mass.  It is a very slow healing process and I wore my funny looking shoe for about 15 weeks but all is well now and I am back to my daily routine of 5 km dog walk each morning.  However, my ortho is not sure about any day long or multi day walks as the fracture could recur.

A good deal of patience is required for a favourable outcome- difficult though that can be in these circumstances.  Good luck with it all.

• Posted

SIERRA I broke 5 metatarsal 5weeks ago was put in airboot but told non weight bearing also told it would take 6 to 12 weeks to heal and come back next Monday which will be 6 week's. The cruches are awful I am 62 and get it hard.you are not on your own. Hope you are back on your bfeet soon
  • Posted

SIERRA I broke 5 metatarsal 5weeks ago was put in airboot but told non weight bearing also told it would take 6 to 12 weeks to heal and come back next Monday which will be 6 week's. The cruches are awful I am 62 and get it hard.you are not on your own. Hope you are back on your bfeet soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.