Fifth Metatarsal fracture

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I am a young dancer who fractured this bone two days ago. I did this by rolling over my foot in dance rehearsals...immediately afterwards I got back up a little tear eyed and continued walking and dancing a bit. I was limited in lateral movements and felt excruciating pain pointing my toe, his lead me to get an X Ray about three hours later. They originally diagnosed me with this fifth metatarsal fracture but also in the growth plate. I went to see an orthopedic 8 hours later determined to find out better news. They said the same thing but I was not growing therefore it was not in the plate. I was given a boot, and told I could weight bear but to use crutches for a week or so. Dance is something I am serious and passionate about and this injury according to professionals would set me out for 6-8 weeks, and truly I don’t have that time. So I pushed it and asked them to get me an appointment in two weeks, they agreed because they saw I was persistent. I AM EXTREMLY CONCERNED... I have done research and some people have said the healing time is months for this kind of injury. I ditched the crutches the first day and was weight bearing on my own with the boot I woke up today (day two) and there is swelling vertically from my fifth toe to my heel. I am still able to walk in the boot. I have even tried to walk without it a bit in the shower and I can without pain if I probate the foot a tad.

Does anyone know if I am causing damage by ignoring the pain and attempting to get blood flow to this bone by walking on my own? Is there anyone who has had a speedy recovery for this injury? Anything anyone suggests to speed this up besides eating healthier, because again I am very young and take good care of my body unless under a circumstance like this? Is swelling an indication to stop putting weight on it? For anyone who has recovered, has it been a full recovery or were you still restricted to strenuous activity? 

Overall my goal is to be able to get this boot off by week 3-4 which may sound risky and dangerous to others but as a young adult I have very important auditions, performances, and events coming up in my life leading to my first year of college. My biggest concern is getting on my feet and causing a further injury, I am not concerned about arthritis for it is painful but something dancers are able to dance with if needed. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Maddy - I am a dance instructor and studio owner.  You need to take the time to heal.  If you don't you will always have problems with that foot.  I speak from personal experience.  Take the time.  You can cross-train and when allowed to you can swim.  Don't risk a career.  Take the time needed for the bone to knit together. 

• Posted

Many people have told me that it is best to stay off the foot as much as possible.  Find a way to exercise that does not put weight on your foot- upper body exercises, etc.   so that your blood is still circulating.  Research supplements too.  I read turmeric helps with inflammation and healing  so I take the supplements. Since I have been on them I have not gotten sick - all winter- so I feel they’re doing something!    Also vitamin D3 and calcium are important for healing. Research to take the proper amount.   To stay off your foot try using a knee scooter. I got my second hand.    Maybe visit a physical therapist and also see what they recommend because they gave me many recommendations that my doctor did not.  Sorry to hear about this interrupting your dancing ;(. Prayers for quick healing!! 
  • Posted

Yes!, I am afraid your fracture will not heal if you continue to use that foot. You are literally separating the bones that may be trying to heal. I would say you will be off dancing at least 3 months. I am an older horse rider and it is so difficult to be non weight bearing. I am surprised a doctor told you to walk in a boot.

The treatment is usually Non weight bearing for 6-8 weeks.

So so sorry. It is the classic dancer’s

Fracture although mine was a stress fracture.  Take care of that foot and keep it elevated when you can. Swelling is not good!!

• Posted

I also bad a knee scooter and a bone stimulator which my doctor got my ins company to pay for. Your feet are important so stay off that foot and keep it elevated. It is difficult but not fatal!! 
  • Posted

Fifth metatarsals can apparently be tricky to heal depending on the exact place you broke it in, so you don't want to do anything that'll slow it down otherwise you could end up being out of action for even longer! Absolutely do not try and stand/walk on your broken foot without the boot on until the doctors say you can, and you'll still want to avoid putting much weight on it. I was told by the orthopedic doctor to use crutches for at least the first 2-3 weeks and then slowly ease into walking with the boot as pain allows (I broke my foot 4 and a half weeks ago and I'm only just starting to try walking with crutches these past few days because I'm scared of doing more damage!). If you haven't had pins surgically put in your foot to hold the bones in place (I didn't either) there's a risk they could slip out of line and heal deformed, or stop trying to heal due to too much movement between the bone fragments. 

Broken feet are the worst - I know it sucks not being able to do your normal activities for so long. I've mostly been sitting around bored at home because it's so exhausting trying to go anywhere on crutches. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

You are so correct! It was awful. After 4 weeks of mine not healing at all, I did have a pin put in then another 4 totally off,

4 in a walking boot.  I was so bappy to be able to walk in a boot. This will all be behind you one day!!

• Posted

Hi Maddy - so sorry about your accident - I have a dancer with the same injury - stupid jete attitude that she has done for over seven years - a bad landing - more a bad "step out". She is in week five at the moment. The first four weeks were in the boot - she was allowed with or without crutches - she did crutches for the first few days and hated them. The first part of her fracture (closest to heel) was healing nicely but the top near her pinky toe wasn't what the OS was hoping for. He took her out of the boot and put her in shoes (NO DANCING just WALKING) and we now have a bone stimulator. She is anxious to find out if she can compete on April 13th - but we know there is a possibility that won't be the case. DO NOT use ADVIL!!  Use Aleve or Tylenol for pain. Ibuprofen is bad for bone growth. Take extra calcium - do extreme hot to extreme cold - supposedly that helps too. But most of all follow doctor's orders and rest your foot. If you have insurance ask about a BONE STIMULATOR

• Posted

Okay this may make you feel better.... daughter was in boot for four weeks ..... then she was able to “walk only” out of boot for three weeks - she had bone stimulator as well / she did feet and toe exercises - push ups (on knees) sit ups and stretching - at the end of the three weeks she has been given the green light to try dancing - if it hurts she is to stop and try again in few days. So basically 7 weeks of no dancing - she is fourteen and in great shape

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.