Fighting temptation

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi. I've been proud of myself for staying sober for nearly 10 years, but for some reason the urge to have a drink now is quite strong. Maybe the time of year, or the fact that I'm approaching a major milestone (10 yrs) and will be able to control my intake? I just don't know. I had no problem stopping, no medication or withdrawal symptoms. I know I shouldn't, but the 'need' to have just one social drink is always in my thoughts. Any ideas out there? 

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi John ..

Just seen your post and replying as fast as I can.. 10 years is a huge milestone and they say that if/ when you restart after stopping ( no matter how long you are likely soon to.pick.up where you left off )

I had 14 yrs sober and what great years..I lidded myself and everyone else I could drink normally ...not ! My drinking is different now but still impacts on.my life hence finding this site for advice ..I have always quite got why one drink.led to so many .I am.now on trying TSM have now been taking nalmafene for 2 weeks and can now see positive changes .. I am holding out a lot of hope that this us my way forward.. However I wouldn't be doing this had I not been so stupid as to start drinking again but as they say everything is for a reason ....

Just ponder carefully ...I know how tempting it can be 🙃🎄

• Posted

Excuse all the errors...was trying to send this really quickly 😊

• Posted

Thank you. It's good to know that people do understand.

• Posted

Temptation stay away, especially if your triggers are saying in your mind just one drink. 

One drink can set you back all those years of sobriety. Is it really worth it?

just find a fizzy drink and leave it at that. Your hard work all these years took a lot of courage to maintain no alcohol. Don't give in to the brain trying undermine all the years of having a life without alcohol. 

Many prayers sent your your way for extra courage to say no!

HOPE4CURE

• Posted

Hello John.  I managed 20 months alcohol-free, a few years ago.  That thought, in my mind, that I could drink socially again, was VERY WRONG.

I went right back to heavy drinking , really quickly.

Please, just try to leave it out of your life.  Experiment with non-alcoholic drinks... find something you like.  

It is amazing that after 10 years, you are thinking about drinking.  It must never really leave our minds. 

I hope you decide NO !

All power to your will.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Thanks Alonangel. I'm not sure why these thoughts are coming back now after so long without a drop. Possibly because ten years is a 'magic number.' I have looked on these years as a sort of punishment for my excessive drinking. I'm talking up to over half a litre of spirits in an afternoon. But my head is telling me that I'll be ok now as I've proved to myself that it's not a problem any more. But....? 

• Posted

Well, got through Christmas Day ok without a wine etc. Should be ok over New Year, not going anywhere. Thanks again everyone. 
    • Posted

You in the frame if mind I admire your courage and strength.

Hopexxx

• Posted

So good to read this...keep it up and keep the happy smiles xx
  • Posted

Holy Sh*T.....I didn't read any of the replies..

JOHN!!!  NO....I had 8 years sober..please click on my name..read some of my posts..over the last 3 years! 

I really thought I could have a 6 pack after 8 years sober.  Since then been in hospital over 20 times (alcohol related) and almost died about 5 x and that is being generous on the low side.

And I am not wreckless...I am not stupid....I am not weak.

I am an alcoholic and SO ARE YOU.

• Posted

a lot us know your story and happy that you are still alive. Of the 1000s of post I have read over nearly 2 yrs yours are certainly the most brutal and honest but also a message....there is another day tomorrow...I am not being simple or over simplifying matters but we have to carry on for tomorrow or we die.....you give us hope Missy and all the best to you!! Robin
    • Posted

Luv u Missy. Your another wonderful bright knowledgeable inspiration for us all! You honesty has been the most impressive brilliant character strength I have not witnesssed in many people thruout my life. You have no ulterior motives but to be well and help anyone who will learn from your experiences. 

Hopexxx

• Posted

What an achievement to you for 10 years but do not do it. Do not even think of one small drink since it will most likely lead to more and more...i was there and did this and not proud of it...now nearly 4 years sober and I know that I cannot control myslef..that is my advise. Do keep well and Happy New Year to you and again well done! Robin
    • Posted

Thanks Robin. Happy New Year to you too. Once I get past this month and into 2017 I'll probably be ok. The 10 years will be up on 11th February, so I have to avoid giving myself a 'well done that man' drink, believing that it's all under control now. Thanks again. 

• Posted

Hey I did this too Robin after many years sober and like you am not proud of it and was very smug about it at the time trying convince everyone I was a'normal'drinker again ..woweee what a different story behind closed doors . The recycing man knew lol I have never since starting again managed more than a few weeks without drinking but doing better this last few weeks with help medication, something just had to change !.....As some may say you can get off the train at any time on this journey but you will soon be pretty much back at that place where you got on.. We are all on the journey together supporting each other over the often rocky and bumpy track ....... but we must remember there can always light at the end of the tunnel if we reach out for it x All good wishes everyone x

• Posted

You are doing so well John....just keep with it ...11th Feb is in sight ,you are amazing and have come such a long long way.. 😊😊

• Posted

Thank you for all the sacrifices and struggles you have made to have a better life. I have read your story through out with the many others . Thank you for the inspiration you have shared with many of us here. 

HOPE4CURE

• Posted

Hi hope4cure..Thanks so much

I love this little family on this forum and feel so grateful and blessed that I found all you lovely guys. This last few weeks has been made so much easier by the supoort I have received here. I was about  to begin the nalmefene journey but was really apprehensive so sought support and advice here. I learnt a lot in such  a short time which has  made my path so much  smoother and easier., Without the support here  I doubt I would have continued with the nalmefene as I realise now how poorly equipped with information I was before arriving here. I feel very positive about it now inspite of it still being very early days. Everyone has  so much to give here and I need  now to be doing the same and giving something back. x :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.