Fighting temptation

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi. I've been proud of myself for staying sober for nearly 10 years, but for some reason the urge to have a drink now is quite strong. Maybe the time of year, or the fact that I'm approaching a major milestone (10 yrs) and will be able to control my intake? I just don't know. I had no problem stopping, no medication or withdrawal symptoms. I know I shouldn't, but the 'need' to have just one social drink is always in my thoughts. Any ideas out there? 

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi john - after reading all these posts, I don't think I would want to chance it.  It would really make me cross if one drink started me off again on that old rocky road. 

Stick with the guys advice - all the very best for 2017.

G.

• Posted

Thanks Gwen. Posts like these do help. I feel as if I would be letting myself down as well as those who have posted, even though I'll never actually meet any of you. I got through New Year ok,so now it's the Summer holiday time when a cool, refreshing beer would be quite pleasant. But I won't. 

• Posted

5 pm now on 11 Feb 2017 where I live. Exactly 10 years since my last drop of any alcohol. I'm not looking for any more 'well dones,' I just want to thank those who encouraged me recently during the last 2 months or so when a voice kept saying, 'one little drink won't do any harm!' With your help I told it to get lost and now look forward to a booze free future.

Keep fighting! confused

• Posted

Sorry john I know you said you didn't want any 'well dones' but I'm giving you one big  WELL DONE

• Posted

hi joHN...I have 5 years to go yet to achieve 10 years like you. Amazin life and good for you.. Robin
    • Posted

Well done Robin .It's an amazing feeling isn't it.I wish I had kept at all those years ago.You feel sooooo good about yourself and life 😃

• Posted

Robin "you are our inspiration " to use the words of corporal jones from Dads Army. You'll definitely reach your ten years and more. Brilliant example to everyone.

• Posted

That sums Robin up perfick Vickylou 😋

• Posted

Accepted with thanks vickylou and Robin. We have an annual ritual on the anniversary at 5 pm when I throw a soft drink out the window, except it was Whisky back then and say 'I don't want any more!' She then hands me a note with an estimation of how much money I have saved. Surprising amount too! I got a smiley face drawing this time as well. All part of the support she gives. I still shudder to think of how I behaved when drunk. A very tolerant wife! 

Best wishes and health to all out there. 😍

• Posted

How nice to read a post with a happy ending. Best wishes to your wife as I'm sure her support over the last ten years has been invaluable

• Posted

Hi John.  I am so happy to know that you made it to the 10 YEARS, ALCOHOL-FREE... no " well done", from me...WOOPPPEEEE !

Your booze free future is safe.  No going back..... ever.

What a Wonderful Achievement.

You are an Inspiration.

CONGRATULATIONS.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Thanks for the WOOPPPEEEE! Made me laugh. And for your support. I can't ge back now, partly because as well as letting myself down, I would be letting all you wonderful people down as well! I'm really glad I found this forum. biggrin

• Posted

And also John why on earth would you want to go back to undoes all that bloomin hard work .Take a bow young man ☺
    • Posted

Couldn't have put it better myself nat!

• Posted

Yep. I found my December birthday and the Christmas and New Year times a bit difficult this time for some reason. Then of course the 10 year mark. Maybe as I wrote before, because I was wondering if it was now under control. But reading other posts made me realise that it wasn't worth the risk. I'll be ok now. Other things on my mind like my 9 monthly check with my cancer nurse on Friday. Should be ok. But that's another forum! Thanks again. X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.