Fighting the battle of hypothyroidism.!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

(side note im not from UK but NZ hope thats not a problem just looking for some imformation)

At the age of 16  i was in a accident which to my luck helped my doctors find a very large goiter growing inbetween my chest. A year later the whole thing was removed along with my thyroid, parathyroid glands and a few small nicks to my vocal chords.  Preping myself for this big procedure my doctor, instead of informing me on all the mircles hypothyroidism brings i was constantly reminded my weight will just "fall off".  How wrong was she. i am now 22 and still trying to get my head around this whole thing. Ive battled hardcore depression, moodswings, excessive weight gain and due to the lack of my parathyroids i cramp up all the time.  what didnt help was my doctor would prescribe me crazy pills and weightloss pills while taking 200mg of levothyroxine its a wonder im not in a mental ward.  So as i am here im just wondering has anyone got some tips and tricks how they are battling this, or has anyone else been in the same boat. Being as young as i was when it happened or even now i have never had somebody to talk to, to just get my head around it all. x smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carron NZ

had my thyroid removed 14 months ago and I have just found this website.  The weigh gain, depression and cramps are only some of the symptoms I am having but finding out the questions and information we should be asking and getting from our GPs is helping.

Keep reading and talking on this site and any others you find it helps.

Chin up. x

• Posted

Hi Christine

Thanks for sharing, i only found this site about 20mins ago and feeling a alot better for my entire teenage years i thought i was the only one.  With your cramping are you getting it everywhere like your face hands and legs??

• Posted

Hi Carron

Yes but not all the time it seems to be one thing one day something diff the next.  Todays symptoms are tiredness and tingley fingers.

I am finding out a lot on this site and you will find that someone who knows a lot more than me will reply to you and give you information on your symptoms.

keep reading smile

• Posted

Hi, trust me you aren't alone. I am not sure about the support in NZ as I'm now living in the UK, but there are some good forums around on other sites that seem to have some very knowledgeable patients as members (e.g health unlocked - look for thyroid UK). You might also want to check out books like stop the thyroid madness, although that is very US focused but has lots of info that might help. I'm still learning (only diagnosed with hypothyroidism in Sept last year), but it appears that having a good level of certain vitamins and minerals is important - e.g sellenium helps convert T4 (most likely the thyroid medication you are on) into the T3 that your body needs to regulate it's metabolism - from what I've read NZ'ers are prone to being deficient in this as there isn't much in our soil. Zinc, magnesium, vit B12, iron all key as well. Sorry for the rambling response, but there is a huge amount of info out there. Chin up!
    • Posted

Hi

I am amazed at how much info you can put into an answer.  I am very much a learner.

chin chin smile

• Posted

Hi Carron84528

Ahhhhh, there's always so much we all want to know, as I genuinely believe that not enough information is passed onto patients, and hypo/er thyroidism is so dismissed in many many ways.

(Besides all of ^^^^)

I also had a Total Thyroidectomy in June.

And post surgery, I woke up with tingles all over my toes then hands which gradually increased and spreaded all over my face - which resulted in me having a full on spasm! The feeling is traumatising!!

So what I then found out that my parathyroids had been damaged (temporarily)

So to avoid that- as its due to calcium deficiency. i drank at least 3 glasses of milk a day.

Cheese, milkshakes, etc..

I also asked (after research) if I could get hold of some Sandocal which you could dissolve in water and drink when symptoms are starting to appear.

Also maybe try take up any form of sport. Definitely helps.

I've gained about 7kg since my operation. And since taking up a sport. (I only go once a week)

It helps with the moods and shifting the weight.

I hope it's helped but that's what options I have taken to avoid any form of spasm & mood swing, weight gain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.