Fighting the depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on 50 mg of Zoloft for 4 weeks now. RIght now, every time I take a pill, I try to convince myself that things will be better tomorrow. It has to get better eventually. I keep telling myself every day that it’s going to get better, and sometimes I even believe myself. Other times though, I feel like I’ll never come out of this hole. It’s not just a chemical imbalance. I hate my job, being there is detrimental to my mental health. I’m trying to find something else, a “real job” if you will. I’m 32 years old and have an 8 year old daughter. I will hopefully be graduating with a bachelors in interdisciplinary studies this December. And I am realizing for the first time since going back to school that there isn’t going to be some magical amazing job waiting for me. I have no skills. My depression and anxiety has kept me from doing so much. I had a miscarriage this year in January and that is a constant source of depression and guilt. I’m supposed to be getting ready to have my baby now, instead I’m worrying about if I can afford to live in my home for the next month. I can feel my fiancé pulling further and further away into his own depression. He doesn’t want treatment of any kind, and I feel helpless in that situation. I feel helpless all around. All around me I am watching my friends get more and more successful, meanwhile I’m on welfare and food stamps. I feel like I’ve failed in life, and that I’m going to continue to fail in life. The only thing that truly makes me happy is being a mother and I couldn’t even give this second baby life. What is so wrong with me, that I deserve to suffer so much? I know people everywhere are going through so much worse, it’s just hard to focus on that. I’m in therapy. I’m on medication. I’m trying to get better. But it feels like every time I take a few steps forward I get knocked back a mile. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It will take a while for the Zoloft to work and the doctor will probably will increase the doses as needed. I went through the same thing and eventually I am doing better. Don't give up there is hope and also praying will help you get throught

• Posted

My wife is on Zoloft and it took her about 6-8 weeks to start feeling better. Outside of the medication you've been through a lot, Darla. Miscarriages are rough for both partners, but you'll get over the grief in time. My wife and I had several and ended up not having any kids (we're in our 60's now). 

I'm sure your degree will help you get a good job, so relax about that. And don't compare yourself to other folks, that's not healthy. Nobody has it all together, trust me. We all struggle in some way.

• Posted

Thank you for that. It is something that I struggle with daily. I hate that I spend so much time comparing myself to others. I’ve felt like this for as long as I could remember, that I was never enough, that everyone else was always better than me. It’s so hard some days. I know the Zoloft is doing it’s thing, I just wish it was faster. Today is a rainy and gloomy day and I’ve slept about 12 hours. Way to waste a day off work!
    • Posted

Sleeping is never a waste of time! It's your body's way of telling you you need to take it easier. When we're feeling stress and anxiety we need more sleep, not less. Your body needs all the rest it can get to deal with those challenges.

I'm going to sleep at 10:00 pm tonight, because my usual midnight bed time just isn't sufficient for the challenges I'm experiencing lately. I was really dragging at work today. Don't want to feel the same way tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon, Darla!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.