Finally...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Got the hospital letter I've been waiting for, I'm being admitted on 9th June for possible ovary/cyst removal / hysterectomy. So glad to finally have a date but now I'm onto the next stage of worrying lol, feeling a bit crampy tonight sad

Any advice on what to pack in my hospital bag and/or recovery tips would be gratefully received 😊

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bryony. I was admiited last month for salpingo oophrectomy and cyst removal. All went well and I was allowed home the next day. You'll need a nightdress, (not PJ's), towel and toilet bag plus some pads if you're hgaving a hysterectomy I think. I took my Kindle, (tablet) and mobile phone. A book would be useful if you read. Anything else you might need for your comfort. Sweets to suck as you might have a dry mouth plus any medication you take regularly. I was advised to take it easy for a month or so. That would be three months if youy have a hysterectomy too I beleive but your consultant will explain all this prior to surgery. My admittance letter had a list of things to take in with me. Try not to worry, some of these posts may help if you read them. Best wishes, Pollyanna UK rolleyessmile
  • Posted

Please excuse typo's. I didn't check before sending. lol wink 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying pollyanna, I'll just be glad when it's all over and I'm really hoping I'll be discharged home the next day. Thanks for all your advice, I better buy some nighties 😂 defo taking my phone and I've got a couple magazines to read. Yeah my consultant has been through all the different scenarios 😊 this time in 2 weeks it will all be over (hopefully) just hope my kids don't bring any nasty bugs home lol xx
    • Posted

Make em wear face masks! lol wink T shirt nighties are ideal, they need quick and easy access! rolleyes Time will fly and you'll soon be back home, a lady of leisure for awhile anyway! Make the most of it while you can. xxx
    • Posted

Oh I intend to, I'm actually looking forward to watching hubby trying to get the kids ready for school/nursery every morning mwaaaahahaha!! Face mask is a good idea, maybe get myself a gas mask or something 😂 xx
  • Posted

Best of luck with it all.Ive already had two surgeries and will have my remaining ovary and large Dermoid Cyst removed soon.The best thing that I pack in my case is dry shampoo!! And you will need pads!!! Plus all your usual things.Wipes are handy too as hospitals are always so hot.

I'm sure you'll be relieved to get sorted,I know I will be when I get a date.

Take care and try not to worry (impossible,impossible know) smile x

• Posted

Yep bought dry shampoo and we've got loads of baby wipes so I'll pack some of those, I really should start getting my bag organised 😂 I'll definitely be relieved when it's all over xx

• Posted

I had my ovarian cystectomy May 10th.  Admitted for two nights.  Aside from the usual hospital items (book, phone, personal items), don't forget to bring comfy clothes!  I actually found I liked very loose, soft PJ pants.  My incision was a low bikini line, so it was easy to just pull them on over (husband was there to help me dress).  A robe is also very handy.  Lastly, I brought a pillow from home to brace myself.  It helps with feeling secure, and a small pillow is easier to quickly use if you're going to cough, sneeze, etc.

Having been through surgery twice now, I've found eating lightly 2-3 days beforehand is very helpful.  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate in the days prior too.  and, most importantly, check with your doctor about a stool softener.  I took one for two days prior to surgery and resumed as soon as I started eating again.  It took a few days for things to work again, but it didn't hurt to "go" after surgery.  Not fun to talk about, but with a tender incision, the last thing you need is straining over a toilet!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Bailey, I really appreciate it!!

I have to admit I can't decide between wearing pajamas or a night dress, I would normally be comfier in pj's but obviously don't want the waist band to irritate my wound(s).

Hopefully this time next week I will have had the op eeeeek 🙈 xx

• Posted

Hi Bryony, not long now as you said. I found a short nighty easier whilst in hospital, so you can be examined easily without removing anything. Back to PJ's as soon as I was home. In fact I was a PJ lady for several days while 'resting'! wink  My best wishes for the 'op', keep in touch and let us know how you got on. Pollyanna smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.