Finally a diagnosis!

Posted , 5 users are following.

So, after nearly a year of back and forth to thr doctor, having internal scans, ultrasounds etc... I was referred to a gynaecologist, and she thinks I have endometriosis as well as PCOS, but I'm having a lascoropy next Wednesday. So hopefully this will be the end of the pain. Anyone had a lascoropy before, and has any tips?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chloe!

I had my first lap in December 2013. I do have a few tips.

1. Don't rush yourself to recovery faster than your body wants to. You'll have so much time "off" and if you're anything like me, you'll want to use that time. Lying in bed for a whole day sounds AWESOME and feels good. For a day or two. Then you get bored, drugs or no. But don't push yourself. If all you can do on Day two, three or four is take a shower and get back in bed, do it.

2. If your stomach isn't upset, you'll probably come out of surgery very hungry. Try to take it easy when you have your first meal at home and eat something bland and simple. 

3. Don't feel embarrased or guilty if you have to call your OB Nurse advice line more than once if you have any questions or if anything feels differnet than you expected. You'll likely just have them settle your nerves or remind you of what was discussed before surgery, but we can forget these things when we're stressed out. Remember, if you have any fever above 100 (or whatever your MD tells you on your discharge paperwork), if your pain is not controlled by your pain medications, or if you have excessive bleeding (more than a pad per hour) to call the advice nurse.  

4. Your doctor and nurses may tell you that you should be back to "nromal" activities within a week or two of having a lap. This was not at all true for me. Some of us take longer to recover and each of our experiences and procedures are slightly or drastically different from the next patient. Don't be discouraged if you're not magically back to yourself within XX Days. 

5. The gas. Oh god, the gas!! I knew to expect the gas after having a lap, but it still surprised me! This may be TMI, but I highly recommend buying a stool softener before your surgery and having it available for you when you get home. Pain killers can constipate you; stool softeners makes nature take a much gentler course when you've just had abdominal surgery. I had excess gas for well over a month. If not two. True story.

6. Bring something really loose to wear home from the hospital. Nothing that has to zip up or button up. I'd recommend bringing lose fitting sweats. And comfortable underwear. Also, bring a pillow with you in the car. You'll appreciate having it to put between the seat belt and your belly on the way home, and/or you can use it to "nap" in the car on the way home. Comfort is key.

Follow your post op instructions to the "T", and make good friends with the advice nurses as well as your recovery nurse. She/He is your lifeline to everything good and comfortable (well, as comfortable as possible!).

• Posted

Also, I can remember how relieved I was to finally have a real diagnosis, and have it confirmed by surgery. I was literally happy and excited to have surgery after suffering crippling abdominal pain for years and having damn near monthly ovarian cysts. And I have discovered that so far, I'm living a much better, much more pain free life now that I've found the meds that work for my Endo and repeated ovarian cysts. Those things are hideous. So here's to hoping you have a successful surgery, and that you can find the right medications to keep your condition in check too. Best, best of luck to you, Chloe!!
    • Posted

Thankyou SO much! I'm glad I've had someone like you tell me the truth, the doctors definitely wouldn't have told me about the long time gas problem aha... I hope I recover quickly though, as I'm moving into university this Saturday, and my surgery is next Wednesday, during freshers week sad
    • Posted

Hi. Chloe just wandered how ur op went? As I am due a week tomorrow and I am really nervous sad the anaesthetic scares me, waking up knowing if anythg been done and the recovery process! I am on diazepam atm as I've been sooo nervous had anxiety sad

Is there any advice you can give regarding the lead up to the op rolleyes

Hope u are feeling better smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.