Finally a Doc that gets it

Posted , 8 users are following.

After my GP couldn't figure out what to do with me he referred me to a neurologist. When I told him what was going on he totally got it. Strange headaches with numbness in face and arm, leg cramps,etc.

He explained that even though the actual virus may no longer be active, the damage has been done and it's likely that my spinal cord is still inflamed. He said it can take as much as 6 months for it to heal.

He also said it's not in common that the virus can hop across the spinal cord and affect other parts of the body. Which is totally opposite from what other DR's say.

He even had 2 of his associates in the room with him and expressed multiple times that a lot of these 'new shingle symtoms' need more attention and are becoming more prevalent.

He ordered an MRI so he can get a look at my spinal cord to see exactly what's happening.

All that to say, I'm glad to be connected with someone who finally gets it.

I do have a question for anyone: He gave me a sample of Lyrica. Has anyone had any experience with this med? Any crazy side effects or things to look out for?

Thanks.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good evening Thedwp, I started taking Lyrica for my nerve pain on the second week of my Shingles outbreak. I could sleep at night because the sores were in my scalp and face but the Lyrica took the pain away. I had no side-effects but that is different in everyone. The Dr gave me samples to take every 12 hours. The pain was pretty severe and was no match for the Ibuprofen 800 I was given initially. I hope this information helps.
  • Posted

I can sleep i had singles 10 months ago and left me itching in the head I think I will ask to go to see a neurologist also getting headaches 
  • Posted

Lyrica is not approved by the FAA if your a pilot. Makes you wonder.

Hope u feel better.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear of your experiences with the Shingle Virus!  I have no experience with that, but I do have experience with Lyrica and it is one of the best medicines I have ever been prescribed!  I had jaw joint replacement surgery that damaged the nerves in my face, jaw, shoulders, and even fires as far down as my feet and the Lyrica has been a tremendous help!  It may take awhile to get your dosage right, and it can make you tired, dizzy, and almost a "drunk" feeling, but it will only last for a couple of days.  I have 4 relatives taking it for diabetic neuropathy, a mother using it for fibromyalgia, and so on.  They take 300 mg 2x a day, I take it 3x a day.  The side effects have not been bad for any of us.  However, after being on it for awhile you will notice if you miss a dose. So, be sure to take it as prescribed.  I hope this helps you some!  I know it may not be a med that helps everyone, but it t has made life livable and enjoyable again for me and my family!  I hope it does the same for you!

• Posted

i was already taking lyrica for the nerve pain in my S1 disc and i think i escaped the 'xcruiciating pain that goes with shingles BUT the major side effect for me was BED WETTING = nasty!!!eek  so glad for the internet or i would have just thot i was going crazy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.