Finally almost pain free and off the Tramadol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m relieved to say that the Pregabalin & Amitriptyline I have been prescribed have made me more or less pain free and I have been off Tramadol for just over 6 weeks. I had a few nasty withdrawal symptoms but not as bad as I was expecting. 

It’s not all good news though. When on Tramadol I was experiencing memory loss issues which have continued as Pregabalin and Amitriptyline cause the same issue. Work is my biggest problem as I have been making mistakes and at times completely forgotten I had done something as well as making stupid, costly mistakes. 

It’s taken over 16 months to get a diagnosis and get the pain under control so I really don’t want to change medication. Has any of you had the same issue and if so have you found a way to improve your memory?

Thank you in advance and good health to you all. 

Regards 

Martin

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm happy to hear you're nearly pain free! I have friends who've used amitriptyline for years with no problem.

I was on a high dose for years & last year lost so much cognitive ability I was labeled "demented" & an appointment set up with neuropsychology. I'm 58yo & my dad had dementia so my Dr suggested while I wait for that appointment I stop taking meds one at a time. No improvement until I stopped amitriptyline! Within 2 months I passed all cognitive tests. My memory is good, I don't make mistakes driving, dont lose things.

If you're already having issues & things get worse I bet it's the amitriptyline. It's not easy to withdraw from so keep a careful watch on symptoms.

• Posted

Can't really help with the meds and maybe this won't work if memory loss has caused bad memory.  But I have read that rosemary essential oil helps memory.  You could get some pure essential oil and just keep a few drops on a handkerchief in your pocket and sniff it occasionally.    

The other thing is to pay attention when you do something.  Easier said than done, believe me I know!  But that helps move the memory from short term into a longer term storage.  And good quality sleep, not with sleeping pills, is supposed to be the best thing. 

• Posted

I mean, of course, if medication has caused memory loss  
    • Posted

Many thanks for that idea, I'll get some Rosemary asap. Sounds good!

• Posted

I've been on amitriptyline (one or two at bedtime) for a week. It's concerning me re memory loss. I'm 71 and don't want to get any worse memory loss by taking it. I take 2 x paracetamol and Voltarol gel 4 times a day and it's not doing me one little bit of good. Back to docs on Thurs !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.