Finally and end!

Posted , 9 users are following.

just waiting on a date to remove my stump and have a perm ileostomy...

Cant wait, bring it on! feel a weight has been lifted and life can get kick started again...

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck. I have to make a similar decision later this year.
    • Posted

My decision wasn't really in my hands...but still what I was pushing for to resolve...
  • Posted

Very best of luck with the op and my sincere good wishes for a happier and healthier future.  Pete

• Posted

Not really a choice for me, the drugs weren't working so the last bits coming out for a permanent solution...15-18-20 BM's a day was pulling me down...so back to some form of normality...
  • Posted

Hi Jon

I am having mine next week. I know they say having a pouch is a better option but I can't wait to get rid of it! Good luck on your op!

• Posted

I tried without a pouch and don't want to take a chance on a pouch and it not work (saying that a pouch wasn't discussed). Just happy to be finally over it all!

Good luck with your op and hope all goes well!

Speedy recovery!

Regards,

John

• Posted

Fantasic news Jon I am happy that you have the go ahead now !!  wishing you all the luck in the world and lots of happy times ahead with enjoying your life with your family best wishes x  
  • Posted

Hi Jon, good luck with the surgery, shame that the "old style reversal" didn't work for you. Thank goodness the stump removal and j pouch surgery worked for my son. Just shows these surgeries are improving all the time.

Hope it works out for you , Sheila.

• Posted

just waiting on the date coming through, but likely to be in March! Woohoo!!!
  • Posted

Great News Jon!! the light of the tunnel is here wishing you all the best with your operation keep us posted. ;-)
  • Posted

Im a newby to all this forum and ulcerative colitis stuff but I'm at my white end.  I was diagnosed about 18 months ago after suffering for about 2 years silently.  I had a big flare in January and was hospitalised after 3 days of constant bleeding, dr's sort of got things under control and I left hospital 4 days later and have just finished 56 days of prednisalone but I really don't feel they'd done much good. I'm still loosing a little blood, feel shattered and am now short of breath. And wait for it!!!!! I've just been to the logo for the 8th time today and notice that one of my 3morning octasa tablets was in the pan!!!! Any advice guys??
    • Posted

Hi Janet

Welcome ! I had UC under control till last year Prednislone didn't work for me either was still bleeding and had my flare for 9months while pregnant and after my little boy was born I got so ill I was on all the meds and the immune suppressants which didn't work for me I tried anything and everything but had an illestomy in sept 2015 I have no regrets as I have my life back next stage is j pouch but I'm not rushing right now X just back to work and enjoying my family and friends if u need anymore advice let me know X

• Posted

Hi Rachelle,

thanks for your reply, I'm just so shattered and couldn't believe that my octasa tablet hadn't been absorbed is that normal? What ever normal is, I'm lucky to have a job that I can do at Home most of the time but have lots of office days at the moment and using the toilet in a public building isn't nice. I've a follow up appointment at the end of this month and bloods scheduledbefore that.  I dread the thought of a bag but you seem so positive which is great 

• Posted

Hi Janet, you really must suffer in silence. One of the best things I have done is ask a question on this site, there are lots of people in the same boat as you and full of really useful advice and support. Now about your colitis, it really is a heinous disease and flare ups can be very exhausting and worrying. It's a shame the steroids didn't help improve things for you. You must keep drinking fluids and eating. Don't worry about the octasa passing through. It has a coating on it that ensures it can pass through the stomach without being dissolved, the coating dissolves as it reaches the colon so it can deal with the inflammation there. Sometimes the coating doesn't break down fully if it is travelling quickly and it can pass intact. Sounds like what is happening to you. Are you taking any loperimide to slow everything down . You might know of it, if not it helps absorb water from the colon I think. You can buy it over the counter as immodium, it's used for diarrhea. The box says max 8 a day but my consultant says you can take up to 64! I am not suggesting you do that! Talk to your doctor about it.

I had colitis for 17 years, lots of trouble but have recently gone for a permanent stoma, ilesotomy. Am starting to get my life back, it's not so scary if that's were you end up. Keep asking questions , keep in touch. I hope you start to feel better soon. Alison x

• Posted

Wow, thanks Alison your comments have really helped to put my mind at rest thank you
    • Posted

Looks like the flare is agressive I was the same anything I put in my mouth even water I would be running for the loo!! I was exctally the same about the bag but you have to weigh up what's more important for me it was no life I was a nervous wreck had so many accidents lost all my confidence before my op and yes it's life changing but my little friend (my stoma ) has given me my life back I never thought I would cope with a stoma but I'm sure the ones that have one now will vouch it's a lot easier than battling with UC I hope your follow up goes well and this flare gets better X
    • Posted

Colitisjanet, I've pretty much been om prednisalone since Feb last year in one form or another and seen marginal difference if any. I also had pentasta granules which I'm sure I used to see in the stools, but then everything was going straight through me so thats not a surprise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.