Finally Caught Out - I'm scared

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking co codomol 30/500 for 14 years since my daughter was born. I have been a using them for about 7 years. Taking 4 at a time, getting my script from doctors every 12 days. Buying them online in between. Borrowing them off anyone that has them. Anyway 3 of my online chemist caught on and cut me off so I tried to get mine earlier from GP using the whole going on holiday routine. For the first time in 14 years, she caught on summonds me to her office to tell me she is giving me 140 and that has to last a month - no more - 5 a day !! I can't function on 5 a day BUT I do think I want to stop. That idea of not hiding from everyone, not getting the rins every morning if I don't get my AM dose down me quick enough. I don't need lectures I k ow the damage I am doing - I know I could die. I just wonder if anyone has beat this, how they did it and how they are now??

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I hate to sound dumb but what are u taking?
    • Posted

It's in the first sentence, Teresa - cocodamol. It's a combination of codeine phosphate, a minor opiate, and paracetamol (or acetaminophen if you're in the US).

k31754 - I don't have any advice to offer, but I'm very glad you're going to stop now. Not sure whether you know, but the paracetamol content in cocodamol is very dangerous for the liver. In many ways, it's worse than the opiate content. Don't be tempted to try and make up for the loss with paracetamol (Panadol) tablets, will you?

Good luck on your journey.

• Posted

Hi k ..I was on codeine 30mg for 10 years same as your tablets but without the paracetamol I took them for severe migraines sometimes 16 a day only my script so I'd run out before next one was due..never ending cycle pain ..take the codeine..I didn't feel ok unless like you I had my morning fix..but I've been off them now for 1 year and nearly reduced all my other meds it's sounds daft but I changed to decaf tea..pop etc and slowly lowered the dose..I know 5 a day doesn't sound much but if you work out your routine you will manage each day..my family think I'm a whole new person now I'm not relying on meds to crawl through each day ..I'm finally living.you've made the first step take another small step each day..good luck x
  • Posted

Hi k31754

My mother was addicted to pain killer for 30 years and it did the most terrible damage to her system, and killed her in the end, so very good you are willing to do something about this problem. Addictions are so very hard to give up, so I send the very best of luck, hope and strength. The best way I think, is to slowly reduce over 6 weeks. 6 weeks of agony is worth it for the sake of your health and your life. It is a small price to pay for the great gains of health and freedom at the end. Well done you for taking control of the problem. Big hugs and best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.