Finally found some relief from perimenopause symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

HI, All,  I wanted to share some things that have actually HELPED my perimenopausal symptoms.  When I am having a particularly bad day with anxiety, thoughts of doom/gloom, heart palpitations, waking up at night or waking up super early, and occasional panic attacks, I am equally saddened and relieved to find these discussion groups.  Saddened that so many have to go through this and are being misinformed about treatment options and also relieved that I am not alone and I am not crazy.  Just going through the hormone HELL!  Anyway, I found some GREAT resources that are legit (forget hormone/coritsol testing, adrenal fatigue and all of that stuff, unless it is giving you a placebo effect, which you could just as easily get from any so-called remedy) and TRUST objective and well-researched resources.  Visit ... for valid and relialbe information.  After seeing my PCP, neurologist, allergist, GI doc, and a holistic doctor who put me on about 10 different "natural supplements" (all of which did NO GOOD), I found a NAMS-approved (see webiste above for for info. on this) nurse practitioner who prescribed Levora, a mix of estrogen and progesterone.  It is "the pill," but in order to keep my hormone levels stable, I take it constantly with no off days unless I have 4 days of bleeding.  I have had a dramatic decrease in severity and frequency in all of my symptoms. While they still present their ugly heads at times, I haven't had a crying meltdown AT ALL and thoughts of doom are rare.  PLEASE, MOST IMPORTANT, there is SO MUCH mis-information about treatment for perimenopause symptoms, use research-based, valid treatment options. YOU DESERVE IT.  And, other things that have helped:  mindfulness relaxation, massages (yeah!), sharing MY STORY and getting support from family, and knowing I am not alone and am NOT crazy!  I wish all of you the greatest strength and love as we go through this trying time in our lives.  Cherish the peaceful moments and don't listen to the bad moments-they are NOT REAL and are merely symptoms.  Take care!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Coneja, thank you for trying to help us who are suffering with the menopause. I am Progesterone intolerant so sadly don't think this would work for those of us who are. X

• Posted

It goes away when you stop using it?  I have these now, without the progesterone. Some women say that progesterone is soothing and calming. Figure that!
    • Posted

BTW, did you have this before perimeno?  Also, have you tried estrogen by itself, without the progesterone?

• Posted

I have been Progesterone intolerant all my menstrual life. I got the awful effects in the 2nd half of my cycle when the body produces Progesterone.  I am absolutely fine with Oestrogen, happy and content.   Not every woman is Progesterone intolerant, many women are better with it.x
  • Posted

Thanks for reminding me this is the birth control pill I took when I started the peri symptoms. It was the best pill I ever took, but sadly I made the mistake of going off of it after a couple of women scared me to death about getting breast cancer. You can take it safely for a few years.
  • Posted

Coneja thank you I feel exactly the same we deserve as a woman to take care of ourselves and have the best treatment available.  I went through the whole crazy times horrible nights and days, until I got Duevee HRT, but the anxiety still strong even taking Buspar 5 mcg 3 times a day. Now my new OBGYN said that I will feel better with the mix of what you are taking Premarin and Progesterone together I haven't start yet. I never try it so many drugs in my life. How do you take it Morning or night? Calm your anxiety? Anything more details that you can share using this drugs will very much appreciate.

So glad that you are doing better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.