Finally getting somewhere... or at least I hope so.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went back to my GP last week as my pill is nearly done and i wanted to find out what my next steps are for diagnosing my pain. After my horrible experience at gynecology where they washed there hands of me, I have been referred to General Surgery to find out what is wrong with me and what is causing my pain. My GP even read the letter he sent to them to me, and put in it that is think it could be endo. Lately my pain has been worse, to the point i had to leave half way through a lecture and doubled over in the bathroom, almost crying ( didn't help that it was a lecture about pain and assessing pain, ohh the irony). He believes that i might need a collaboration of gyni and general surgeons to get to the bottom of my pain. He said that because i am a young women (19) with non specific abdo/ pelvic pain it is going to be a nightmare to diagnose. I just want to know what is causing my pain and how, if it can, be stopped.

However on the down side, this is the second GP that I have seen for this problem that is leaving the practice, which i don't think is helping my situation. MY first one who did the referral to gyni left a few weeks after i saw her and now the one i saw yesterday is retiring. Why is this happening to me. He did tell me to look after myself as I was leaving which i thought was really sweet of him.

At least this is a step in the right direction to a diagnosis and treatment. or at least I hope so. 

1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

  • Posted

    I am going through horrible pelvic pain, but my is not nonspecific. When I had my tvultrasound my right ovary was awful. Unfortunately no one is taking the doctor who did this test seriously. How did you get someone to listen to you and do a ca125, ct, or send you to a surgeon? 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Ring consultants secretaries, get PALS, the Patient Liason service involved and kick as many butts as you need to.

      I have been doing this for two months, it has worked in 75% of cases, the other 25% is still ongoing. I now have a diagnosis, a consultant and an operation date.

      First came up in 2003 but not chased, wish I had, better late than never. I have found that it is a case of They who shout loudest.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I have been going back and forth to my GP for a year now. The appointment at my GP was my 6th in 8 months. I have been on medication for ht emost common problems (laxido for constipation, buscupan for IBS and amitryptiline for neuropathic pain) all of whcih did nothing for the pain. I had a TV Ultrasound which only showed a small folicol on my right ovary, was tested for PCOS which came back negative. After all that my GP sent me to Gyni which was a disaster and left me with more questions and no diagnosis as well as the consultant not believing me. Went back to GP who then contacted General surgery to see me for their imput. 

      I have been very persistant in getting answers for a few reason.

      1) I don't show pain that well, so not many professsionals know when I am in pain.

      2) I am a student nurse and know the questios to ask, plus i do a lot of extra reasearch into my symptoms so know what to look for and what the doctors should ask.

      3) The pain has been increasing over the year, effecting my sleep, studying, and me on placement ( but not to the point i have had to take time off)

      I think part of it has been luck as well

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I would insist that you have an ultra sound.

    I remember my agonising pain, before I had my right ovary taken with a 3 lb cyst!

    This was years ago. 

    But you should say this is your body you know that 

    You need attention ASAP!

    But Definitley get an ultra sound.

    All the best .. 🐥

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I have got 6 ultrasounds the cause a ton of pain, they trigger heavy bleeding,  and they all show a growing solid cyst on my right ovary.  Every GP and gyno. say they won't do surgery on a virgin or a person who hasn't had children yet. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      They can and will remove the cyst by surgery virgin, childless or not. This removes only the cyst and has no impact that I know of on childbearing.

      Presume you mean a transvaganal (internal) ultrasound. They have guidelines, if the first caused pain and these symptoms then it is not acceptable for them to do it again. Part states that if a woman is a virgin, cannot tolerate internal examinationsetc  this test should not be done.

      In my case a smear test is excruciatingly painful for a number of reasons so this was deemed innappropriate.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    My name is Michelle 53 in menopause. I don't no if you can help me. I had a transvaginal ultrasound and three doctors viewed without any mention I just saw my gynecologist looked over a report indicating fluid in my cervix. He told me I should get a procedure to remove the fluid on my cervix and I don't think it's serious the doctor wants to make sure nothing's wrong with the fluid. He wants to do this as an out patient procedure with an anesthesiaologist to put me asleep and scared I won't wake up

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up