Finally got a date for surgery!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, I have an 8cm dermoid cyst and have finally had a date for surgery.  I am to be admitted on the 28th Jan for surgery on the 29th (as long as there is a bed of course). 

Due to my age (54) they are removing both ovaries as well and as the cyst is close to my urethra I have to have the urology team involved in the surgery too.  Because of this, and previous surgery it has to be done by laparotomy, although they don’t know if it will be done vertically or horizontally yet.  I have been told that I won’t be able to drive for six weeks after the op too.

i am trying to eat really healthily and have stopped alcohol since I’ve had by date (every little helps!). It is manic in Work as I am trying to get as much as I can done and everything in order before I go off.  Thankfully, I am on leave next week and am having some time away with my family (crazy time in Center Parcs with the grandchildren) which will hopefully take my mind off things a bit.

Any advice anyone can give me pre/post op would be gratefully received.  I aim to let you all know how it goes as and when I can and I’m sure will be asking for even more advice!!

thank you,

jane x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HiI was also the same age had both ovaries removed and large dermoid tumour cyst removed ,I had staples about 22 ,it was 6years ago,make sure you do as they say and rest and you will heal fast .took me approx. 6weeks but then mustn't lift for 3months .all the best x

• Posted

Hi how did your surgery go hope all went well😊

Having 8cm dermoid cyst removal on Tuesday and starting to become really nervous x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.