Finally got enhanced rate after a year of fighting my case

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All

I have Ostioarthritis it started in 2015 when l was 42. I first was told l needed both hips replaced and got these done and when l applied for a blue badge the woman told me that l would be getting badge for 3 years and be assesed again but also told me about pip. I have worked full time all my life then suddenly my life was turned upside down. The pain just moved its way to my knee's and spine. At this point l was in constant pain and was told both knee's needed replaced. I had to give up my position as bank manager and go part time as the pain was to much and getting worse. I could hadly drive. I applied for pip and the form was a nightmare. I read a lot into it and Denise on here also advised me a lot on it. I got my 1st f2f which l must say was ok compaired to some of the stories l had heard about ATOS. The woman was fair and full of empathy and a few weeks later l was awarded standard rate for both catagories. I made sure l sent in loads of evidence like letters from my consultants, xrays and a letter from the lady who assesed me for blue badge. But as time went on so did my OA is spread to my ankles and feet and my back was sore constantly. So l sent in a change of circumstance. Well doing the form again was hard enough but my f2f this time was awful. She was meant to be a nurse and tbh l think she had made up her mind before l entered the room. She did the trick about getting me to walk to the very end of corridor. I had just had ankle surgery and was in crutches with a moonboot on. My husband had to basically help he all along and l stopped in middle as l was struggling and eventually got there but was in tears. She was the most unpleasant lady every. I suffer from anxiety because l an rarely out the house now and have been off my work so long because of diffrent operations. She never gave me a medical exam and there was no bed in the room. I was crying most of way through assesment but she never once asked if l would like a break or water or if l was ok. She would not let my husband answer questions even though l was struggling. I never once looked up at her but had a hankie in my hand. I did not do well in the memory tests as l am on high levels of morohine and get mixed up. Everything l told her was true that l could not get in and out bath even with bathboard and my husband washed me upper and lower half and my hair as the pain in my back was to sore. I told her l had slept on my couch for 2 years and things were just getting so much worse. I provided more evidence from my consultants. But it was like the fastest she could get through it the better. I said l was unable to drive now as concentration had gone plus l had a manual car and my ankles would not allow me to drive it without severe pain. She got to end and handed my husband a leflet and said l should not be telling you this but to appeal and win get a nore detailed letter from doctor to say tou can't do tasks. I just wanted out but my husband said to me walking out well thats us either getting the same or less because of how she was. I called and got a copy of my report. Well to say it was a total farse is an understatment. It was full of lies and contraditions. I worked it out l had scored exact same as first one......2 points of getting enhanced. I though about it for a while and again got some advice from Denise (thank you). I went to citizens advice where they done my MR letter for me. I got another 2 more detailed letters from my surgeons. I also went to my local MP and asked for her help. She was brilliant. Firstly she pointed out that this nurse had puta detaied medical review for me which never happened and found all the flaws. Like her saying l did not have anxiety yet cried. There was loads. She wrote a letter of complaint to ATOS and to the DWP. A month or so passed and my mum was terminally ill in a hospice and unfortunatly died last week. But l got a call on friday to let me know l had got my enhanced rate without going to appeals. Although the news came at such a sad time for me and it has took the feeling of achivement away it just shows you what you can do if you don't give up or give in as thats what they want you to do. I went through every channel to get help and back up and it worked. Now l have no job as my OA it to bad and my husband has to work part time from home to be my carer. I have lost most of the income coming into my house.

I just wonder now l have no job because of my illness l would be entitled to any other benifit or would pip be my only one.

Thanks Again

My advice don't give in and get a copy of the report and check it again and again. And get as much evidence as you can. I just wish my mum was here to see that l had got what l deserved.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi haven't seen this mentioned but could have missed it.  Don't forget you can also claim a council tax rebate.  Not saying you will get one but you might.

Don't forget also to check your tariff from your energy suppliers.  If you are under a certain income (look online or ring them) then you might qualify for the warm home discount.  I am with BG for duel fuel and last year I got a cheque for £140 back.  They don't advertise this of course. 

The other thing is if you need to buy any equipment for your disability investigate the possibility of having the VAT discarded.  This is legal so check into it.  Good luck.  x

Ps I agree Denise is brilliant.  smile 

• Posted

Thanks so much for your advice to its appriciated. All things l never new.

Thank you x

• Posted

You may not fall under the other criteria for the warm home discount..yet. This is because mostly PIP alone won't qualify you. You have to be claiming that and another benefit to go with it, as that seems to be the case with most of the energy suppliers. The other qualifying benefits alongside PIP would child tax credits with an income of under £16,000ish, Income Related JSA/ESA, Income Support, and if you have a child claiming DLA, but do have a check online. Just search for the warm home discount and check your supplier through that. I've reseved it for that last 2 years but i claim Income Related ESA and PIP. Thank you also for those kind words! xx

• Posted

You can also get this just on the grounds of low income too Denise.  This is how I got mine. It's not totally benefit dependant.  x

• Posted

Yes indeed you can Bev but only if you claim Tax credits and have an Income of less than £16,000 ish. The broader group cirteria is very wide and varies considerably depending on who the energy supplier is. xx

• Posted

WELL DONE HUN NOTHING BETTER THAN HEARING GOOD NEWS. THE SODS THINK THEY CAN TREAT PEOPLE LIKE DIRT ! 
    • Posted

Thanks michelle l am not one to give up at the first hurdle like they hope people will do. I have been through hell the last 2 years and have basically lost who l used to be. When l go for something that l deserve l will not give up until l get it no matter what l have to do. Its just a pity l got the news when l am grieving for my mum. But am over the moon l took all Denise's advice and went further and got an MP involved and 3 consultants. I have a folder full of evidence. I even changed the entrance to my house took all the stairs away and made a ramp. It worked for me at mandetory reconsideration.

Lors x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.