Finally got the Shingrix prescription! Wanting side effects info

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been trying to get a prescription for Shingrix for ever and finally got it. I am now trying to locate the vaccine since there is a shortage. I am 44 years old and have had shingles about 30 times in the last 15 years. I am trying to find out what to expect as far as side effects. Anyone around my age have the shot? If so what were your side effects? Thanks!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nancy,

I’m 40, and had the Shingrix vaccine about 2 months ago. I took it just as soon as a spot on my face was clearing up. By the time I got home, I was already running a fever, and was really sick by that afternoon. Flu like symptoms for almost a week. It could have been because of taking it on top of having the shingles at that time, or it could’ve just been the way my body reacted to it, but it had me down. I don’t know if anyone else close to our age who has taken Shingrix. Please keep us posted as to how it works for you!

Will

• Posted

Bless your heart Will. Sorry you went through that with the vaccine. Yes, many as young as in their 30's are taking this new vaccine because shingles is hitting all age groups now. You are most likely correct that you had the side effects because you had an active case of shingles brewing inside you. Hoping you are all better now and was able to take your 2nd dose of the 2 dose vaccine. Take care friend.

~Rhonda

• Posted

Thank you Rhonda. I’m getting better slowly.

I haven’t taken the second dose yet, and will probably stretch it on out another month or so. I’m hoping it’s the cure and I don’t have to stop counting at 140! 

• Posted

hello nancy

I Am thingking of getting the shringrex vaccine but i am scared. I HAVE had shingles 4 times now! Was this after side affect with the first dosage of the vaccine or was that the second dose?

when did u feel better?

THANKS

Myrna

• Posted

Hi Nancy. Happy to hear you finally got the prescription. I went through the very same thing with the old vaccine with no one wanting to give it to me because I was too young back then. When they came out with the new Shingrix vaccine this past January 2018, i didnt run into any delays there as I am already age 50. Sounds like you have been through alot. I am so sorry friend. Same here.

This vaccine gave me my life back. I wish it had come out 10 years ago because the delay has left me with permanent nerve damage and pain but I am STILL thankful because my quality of life is so much better, even with the pain. With a 97% success rate, it's helping most sufferers, even with the PHN that plagues many after having recurring shingles. I suffered with shingles for several years and we stopped counting my outbreaks at 140. My shingles started on my hip but after recurring often on my hip for couple years, the shingles began to show up in my face and right eye. Be watchful for that because the initial symptoms in your eye are very mild and can be missed if you are on a daily regimen of antiviral that masks it. The reason i say be watchful is shingles in the eye requires hospitalization most every outbreak because your eyesight is at risk, it is very close to your brain which can cause painful lifelong nerve damage and also shingles in the eye is considered the most painful shingles site of all. Not that shingles doesn't hurt anywhere it strikes because it does. I also say be watchful because shingles in the eye often strikes people with recurring shingles,such as yourself. Dont want to scare you but these things you need to look for. The initial symptoms of shingles in your eye is a mild breakout on your nose. You will have some face pain but it first manifests on your nose and the tip of your nose will turn fire red and extremely sensitive to touch. Get to your doctor, tell them you are a shingles sufferer and they should know what to do from then on.

I will tell you now what I know about side effects from this vaccine but first want to say, despite the side effects, whether they be mild or extreme, IT'S WORTH IT to take the vaccine. Hopefully you will have mild like most people but without this vaccine, you have very dark days ahead of you, friend. It is a two-dose vaccine, taken 2 months apart. Be diligent and get that 2nd shot on time.

The docs prefer you to take this new vaccine when you do NOT have the shingles. There is no 6 month waiting period after you have had shingles, just make sure you are clear few days to a week is all. Unlike the first vaccine, this new shingles vaccine in NOT a live vaccine, so for extreme sufferers, cancer patients, etc, if the vaccine must be administered during shingles outbreak under doctor's care, it can be, but they STRONGLY advise against it and so do I.

If you do not have an active case of shingles, most people have little to no side effects from the Shingrix, except for a little soreness at injection site and an annoying headache that stays with you most of the day. STILL WORTH IT.

For recurring shingles sufferers that the shingles may not be present but kind of lingering in their system without your knowledge, the side effects can be a little worse to include flu like symptoms and an overall bad day for about 3-5 days. STILL WORTH IT.

For people like myself that had no choice but to take this vaccine DURING a shingles outbreak, under close doctors care, it was pretty brutal. I had shingles and chicken pox at the same time and those were the milder side effects. I was hospitalized after both vaccines and it was rough. STILL WORTH IT.

This is a great website that I found by good fortune myself while I was suffering, with alot of good, great, wonderful people here that have suffered like you, with shingles for many years. I have not met any of them but I love them ALL. These good people here will not steer you wrong. They were a lifeline for me during my darkest times and I feel blessed to have found them. Shingles is a lonely illness because ONLY other shingles sufferers can know your pain and frustration. Lean on these good people here, for needed support. They truly understand what you are feeling and going through and can give you other valuable advice to make your symptoms easier to manage.

Go get the vaccine. Keep in mind that it CAN take nearly the entire 2 months before you begin to see results, so try to be patient.

As for WHERE you can find the vaccine, due to the shortage, try going off the grid. Most people will go to chain pharmacies, corporate facilities. Look for a privately owned pharmacy who might not have the funds to advertise like their larger competitors but most of them still have the vaccine or can order it for you.

You will most likely have little to no problems with side effects from this vaccine but whether you have mild or worse side effects, it WILL pass. Just take it easy for few days. This is not something you will be able to power thru. Just take it easy, do not stress, trust that its normal, have faith in the 97% success rate (huge for ANY vaccine) and trust that thousands of people younger and older than you, healthier and sicker than you, stronger and weaker than you, have done well with this drug and keep telling yourself that YOU WILL TOO

: )

Hoping this will be helpful to you and i sincerely hope you find relief. I will keep you in my prayers. Take care.

~Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Nancy,

I am 66 years old and as I have Shingles every three weeks in my right ear, and had escalated to include my right scalp, as well, I had the vaccine when I had shingles, as well.

The adverse reactions I experienced were the following:

sore arm and redness at the injection site

mild fever

fatigue

malaise.

What the symptoms informed me is that I was mounting an immune response to the varicella virus.

The symptoms I experienced were mild compared to the episodes of Shingles I have. To me, it is my only hope as the shingles is escalating in severity and dermatomes.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello Merry

The reaction to the shingrex seem to be mild being yiu took it having shingles

Was that the first dose? Did the second made you sick too?

IF you took the second how did that follow, Did it stop getting shingles?

What did you means shingles is excalating, did you mean yourself or general public on shingles? Also what do you mean dermatoma?

I Am scared getting the vaccine being i once took a vaccine for a different thing and i got a terrible flu like reaction! I have told you i got shingles 4 times bow since February of this year! I Was clear for almost five months since March and just yeaterday got a mild bout abd webt to the doctor abd she gave me

more anti virals for a week!

So i see people here have had shingles for years and after many bouts of shingles they decide to

The Shoe Lady here has had shingles for years i read and if i am bot wrong she hasnt decided to get the shingrex vaccine as yet!

Do you think I Should get it?

Thanks so much

myrna

• Posted

I had a case of shingles when I got the vaccine but they do say that’s normal. I would treat that week to accommodate being sick if you can. Second shot didn’t have side effects for me. I can’t say the vaccine helped me a lot because I’m still getting the pain and fatigue from shingles often. It’s not putting me in bed anymore so I did have some relief. I am in my 40’s and I have shingles for 20 yrs. good luck. I would recommend it. 
    • Posted

Hello Deborah

When you got shingles, how long would it be a bout to the next one? I got shingles from 3 months apart a d then since March i just got a mild one yesterday and went to the

doctor and

gave

me more anti virals!

So scared on getting the new shingrex

But you say you got relief after the second vaccine? How long after the second vaccine did yiu find relief being you say you still get pain and fatique? But do you still get shingles and the blisters too or just after the vaccines you just get nerve pain?

Sorry for so many questions but I am so depress with this

and confussed with the vaccine

Thank you in advance

Myrna

• Posted

myrna the shot did help me because my new outbreaks no longer put me in bed i used to spend almost a week a month in bed because i couldn't move my back in any way due to the level of pain i was in. since the shingrix i now dont get that type of severity anymore i still get shingles monthly about once a month but now its manageable pain. i dont not get the blisters anymore at all now its just fatigue. i wouldnt be scared to get the shot because every case is different and a lot of pp had a lot of success. i too feel it was successful, i just didnt get as much relief as others but i still got some relief. i hope this helps. after the second shot it took 3 months before i had any outbreak at all. now unfortunately i am back to outbreaks monthly. but again, not nearly as bad.

• Posted

I had my first Shingrix this Monday, having last had shingles a few months ago. I have never had a reaction to a flu shot, but this gave me moderate flu symptoms for 3 days. My injection site was swollen and painful as well. If you read the CDC literature, this is normal. I would have preferred knowing prior as I had to cancel my PT appointments. When I get the 2nd dose after December, I will keep in mind to allow 3 recovery days..then...no more shingles damage and pain! I am a very young, active 61 year old, I doubt age plays much part in side effects.

• Posted

I am going to take the shot next week. I had shingles back in March and even with a mild case it was the most painful thing that I have ever went through. My husband took the shot and the first one had no reaction but the 2nd one he had a big red hot spot at the injection site as well as some aches and chills which is a normal reaction. It went away after about 3 days. The shot is so worth it compared to getting the shingles. As I said, I was in horrible pain with a mild case, so I can't even imagine how a bad case would be. For those debating whether to take the shot or not, my recommendation is to take it. Shingles is a nightmare!

• Posted

Sandi,

I certainly agree with you. I have recurrent Shingles every 2-1/2 to three weeks for the past 22 years in my right ear, mouth, throat, and now my right scalp. I am very sick for 7-10 days each time.

The Shingrex vaccination does cause a sore arm, and mild flu-like symptoms, but it is mild compared to having Shingles!

Even though the antibodies have not reached maximum effect yet, the Shingrex after one injection has helped markedly decrease the episodes to one very mild case, with no pain and a scattered rash on my right scalp. I should have had 3 episodes of Shingles by now!

My quality life is improving!

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

Very glad to hear that the injection has helped decrease the episodes. Hopefully, eventually you won't have any more!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.