Finally had MRI results back from a scan i had in October

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi it has taken such a long time to get my results i was thinking it must be nothing much and i must have a very low pain threshold. I have had bilateral sciatica since May 2018 but, the pain has always been far worse in the right leg. A letter arrived Friday from hospital which, states i have L5/S1 discogenic degeneration with an annular protrusion impinging on primarily the right S1 nerve root but, also the left S1 nerve root. The letter states if i still have leg pains either bilateral or the right worse than the left then they would suggest surgery in the form of a bilateral L5/S1 lateral recess decompression.

I have great improvement in my left leg about 70% better and slight improvement in my right leg pain. So i am wondering what i should do as i have to let them know if i want surgery within 2 weeks of receiving this letter.

Where i am now some 8 months from when it started , I still have pain all day but, it is better than it was but, i still take naproxen, amitriptyline with the occassional tramadol. I still have to lay on the floor each evening as this helps to relieve the pain, i cannot cough or sneeze without pain shooting down my right leg nor can i sit for long or put my socks on normally. I still cannot bend forward and my social life has been none existant as i have to lay down in an evening. I have managed to continue to work all the time since it began (i really do not know how i have managed to do this tbh) and can drive very short distances with pain but, i no longer cry every day nor want to cut my leg off due to the pain anymore. So things are getting better. Do i risk surgery as it comes with risks like any surgery, or may i get back to normal without surgery? Any advice please?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HI I don't have an answer for you, im responding because we are in almost the exact same position.

I suffer with spondylothesis, slipped disc, spinal stenosis and I also have a synovial disc sitting right on my spine.

I was in excruciating pain for a whole year, trying all the conservative treatments, 4months out of that year I resulted to walking with a cane, really needed a wheel chair, I couldnt walk, sit, or drive.

Finally set up surgery, while waiting for the surgery.... MIRACULOUSLY 80% of the pain went away and has been away for the last 2 mos. I keep pushing the surgery date back, because I cant see me getting an open back surgery and having 6 screws put in my back and Im almost back to my old self.

So like you Im baffled and not sure what to do.

I'm not sure if im causing more damage to my spine by not getting the surgery. The only thing I know is I wish it never returns, but the surgery dont guarantee that.... GOOD LUCK HUNNI, you pray for me and ill pray for you.

• Posted

Git 'er done!!! If you have a bone compressing a nerve, a decompressive laminectomy is the answer. I've had a few...always worked.

• Posted

hi amanda, i have the same issue with my back my L5/ something, but i also have ptsd so my memory is shot, so all i really remember is my siactic nerve is damaged seprate from my spine, so my spine is degenarating and they could build me a bionic spine but my nerve is still damaged and thats whats causing my pain and they can't fix that with surgery. So should you have a operation that could put you in a wheelchair for ever to fix something that they can't fix? I Chose not to have it and just take my chances, some days are better than others my pain moves from one leg to another, mainly. I've found cannabis helps, along with doctors meds. Only some type of doctors meds because some didn't agree with me, or i didn't agree with them. Good luck with your choice amanda. Shane.

• Posted

Dear Amanda

I think surgery works different for every person, I had my surgery ALIF back on Sep, it has been almost 4 months, the pain in the lower back is less, how ever the pain in the left left leg is very bad, my Dr keep saying is going to leave, some people take like 8 months to feel better I hope it goes away soon.

I wish you good luck. I was not sure but when I did it I did not have anything to loose and just hope.

Cordially

D

• Posted

I had decompression surgery in October following L4/L5 disc bulge. Had left sided severe sciatica in lower leg for 10 months.

Decided on surgery as any recovery plateaued after 6 months, and had a relapse 1 month out from surgery when pain intensified again.

surgery has its risks. During my surgery the dural sac around the spinal cord was torn (quite common apparently) and had to spend 48 hours flat on my back. I also received nerve damage and loss of feeling in my buttock which i still have 3 months on.

I would not have gone for surgery if my pain was improving. However i have no regrets as I am now completely pain free.

• Posted

Hi Karl thank you for getting in touch. I am so glad you are pain free. It is also a little comforting to know that your surgery was not straight forward but, still you are fine. Thank you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.