Finally I am no longer on Amitryptline........

Posted , 7 users are following.

I can't believe it, after 7 months and 8 tapers later, I have made it, this is my first night not on it.  I feel like celebrating!  am going to take the remainder of the meds back to the pharmacist tomorrow, and will post a letter to my doctor to say am no longer taking it.  7 whole months of withdrawals, am expecting to feel bad in the next few days, normally the tears start by the afternoon on the next day.  I don't care anymore and will just go through it, am not expecting it to be easy and every bit of withdrawal is one less.  I am so relieved to no longer feel that awful fatigue and feeling out of it anymore.  My doctor and neurologist said just come off it, OMG! so sad that they have no idea how some people suffer with it, thankfully I didn't take their advice and tapered slowly.

Thank you all for listening to me, I know this med helps a lot of you which is great, unfortunately it didn't help me, it made me ill, we are all different.

Keep strong everyone x

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations....1) for tapering slowly and carefully and 2) for reaching your goal post!! Well done, and I wish you a rich and happy Amitriptyline free Life. Onward and upward cool 

• Posted

Hi Paula could you please explain how did you taper it off the dosage and duration 

I have been off for the past 7 months but I am on Xanax for sleep insomnia 

please help

• Posted

Can i ask you what your tapering strategy was. And what withdrawal symptoms you endured.  I am trying to stop them
  • Posted

What dose were you up to, and how long were you on it? I am currently building up on amitryptyline now. The fatigue all but went away after about the 3rd week for me. It's not really helping with anxiety at this point, though. I just recently went up to 50mg. I've heard that Amitryptyline can stay in your system for anywhere from 11 to 20 days depending on physiology. It will definitely be one of the tougher drugs to come down from. I can't believe your docs told you to "just stop taking it". That is pure negligence.

This is how I would probably attempt it. Get separate prescriptions for ALL of the dosages up to the one you were at (ex. 25, 50, 75, 100mg if you were up to 100mg). Take each full pill for 2 weeks, then cut in half for another 2 weeks, go down to the next full pill, and repeat.

• Posted

Cam, when I was down to 10mg my neurologist told me that she has never come across anyone that had withdrawals coming off that amount. I said to her yes you have, me! Thats the short version she said she would warn future patients. If anything good comes from the hell of the last 3 years, thats one of them with me being able to raise awareness and help others.
  • Posted

Congratulations Paula! I had to come off 150 mg quickly (over less than 3 weeks) & it was pure hell. I wouldn't wish those withdrawals on anyone & I know each person's body experiences things differently. Be proud for being so tough & persistent!

• Posted

Lala, I could not imagine taking that dose or going cold turkey, makes me feel like my small amount is nothing, accept it made me so ill, and withdrawals are horrible off this. I just dont know how you got through it, I was signed off work a few weeks ago and given blood pressure pills because the tapering spikes my blood pressure to hypertensive. So pleased to hear you have recovered.
    • Posted

It was so horrible I tear up thinking about it. But after taking it for years I experienced severe cognitive issues. I was actually diagnosed "demented" because I couldn't do my bills, drive, understand what I read or remember it or conversations 10 minutes after having them. I don't have family to care for me & I was terrified! After going off other meds, which was rough, I just stopped amitrytiline cold turkey, I was so desperate to try to get my brain back. I had the same withdrawals as you other than no blood pressure issues.

Everyone's body chemistry is different. I was on high dose for over 5 years before I began having cognitive issues. My friend was put on them at a high dosage & still has no problems. Many people, like you, have horrible withdrawals after a small dose for a short time.

For me, the mental issue was such that I didn't care if quitting killed me so I guess that's how I managed to get through the horrid withdrawals.

• Posted

Lala, have you recovered from your cognitive issues?
    • Posted

Oh yes Paula! Within 2 months of quitting amitryptiline I had my brain back. Passed all Dr's cognition tests & cancelled neuroligist appointment! It was the best Christmas present ever!

• Posted

Lala, thats wonderful am so happy for you. You have given me hope that I will recover from all the awful symptoms I get. Am in withdrawal now, I had an awful day yesterday my blood pressure spiked to 151/107 , I felt sick, parathesia all down my rightside plus other things, The doctor said I am in withdrawal. Have had broken sleep and now I have an awful headache, this is so hard, am going to be ok though. Your post has really helped, thank you.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone thank you for your replies. 8 months ago I was taking 6 meds, including citalorapram and amitriptyline. The doctors wouldnt give me more than 25mg of Amit because of possible serotonin syndrome. I am aware that this is a low dose compared to alot of people on here, I and the doctors didnt know until after nearly 3 years of being on all the meds that I have a sensitivity to them, and mistook my neurological symptoms for other things. When I realised it was the meds, I took myself of all but Amit and cita, and dropped 10mg off cita and 5 mg off amit. Long story short I ended up in bed for the best part of last December, the withdrawals were a living hell, and I would not recommend anyone doing what I did back then. I was scared of having a stroke, despite the hell of withdrawal my neurological symptoms disappeared quickly. When I recovered from this I started tapering off Amit by 2.5mg, and waited until I was over the worst and felt semi normal before I did the next taper. By March all this had taken its toll so I gave myself a six week break until I felt ready for the next taper. I literally begged my doctor for a liquid form of Amit, as my pills were so small I couldnt get them accurate. I am so sensitive to Amit, that my withdrawals are not easy. My withdrawal symptoms include, body aches, nausea, extreme tiredness, dizzy, blood pressure spikes, I now own a blood pressure machine, headaches, memory and concentration are off, they start with tears, takes a week to get over the worst and 2-3 weeks to feel semi normal again. I have been unlucky you may not be that unlucky. The experts recommend 10% reductions according to what I have read. I would not recommend alternating these, due to half life.
    • Posted

I also plan my tapers around bank holidays, weekends and take work leave. I prepare my family and Friends, they dont get all this though, thank god for this forum, it has given me the strength not to give up. I have woken up this morning with a heavy head and am tingling and feel sick, am going to be ok thats what I am focusing on. My withdrawal has started, its not easy and will just go with it.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone, I have just found out that complete withdrawal is different to tapering withdrawal. The doctors dont tell you this, if they did we could prepare for it. I was expecting to feel the worst on day 3 not day1.
  • Posted

Well Done Paula. I stopped this awful drug in December 2017 after  an 11 month taper. Yes i had lots of nausea, anxiety, cramps etc and still get some nerve pains but, so glad i am no longer on this drug xx 
    • Posted

Thanks Amanda, it is an awful drug, am so happy that I do not take it anymore despite the withdrawal symptoms. Am sorry to hear about your nerve pain, have you tried massages and/or chiropractor treatment? I have had back issues with nerve pain down my legs for years, and now have a special neck pillow and pillow for between my knees to keep my hips and spine in the right position in bed, and do not get pain anymore. I am also careful when on computer and do lots of stretches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.