FINALLY I'V DONE IT !!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Having wavered forever I  now have a date for my hip replacement.

After consulting 3 different surgeons who all recommended THR I have finally made the decision.

Because unlike most people I have not been in serious pain, I was reluctant to undergo a serious operation.

I have been told that my problem is a joint deformity which prevents me from standing upright.I walk with a nasty limp bent over and leaning to one side.

This is not a good look and also limits how far I can walk without becoming exhausted. Pain sets in after 15-20 mins and hip sometimes gives way without warning.

I hope I have made the right decision to go ahead.

My op. date is 29th September.

Now I am panicking !! So much to consider,How will I dress myself,put on trousers/knickers/socks/trainers?How will I wash and dry my feet?

Will I be able to make my bed? Access food in under counter frig?

Climb in and out of bath? My shower is over bath!

The 90 degree rule scares me to death, how to be sure I won't bend too far,just getting up from a chair or out of bed I seem to lean forward for leverage. 

Thank goodness for this wonderful forum with ready responses to every query however daft it might seem to non hippies.

Thank you all for just being there!!

From a very nervous

Joy x

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Joy:

Like you I put my hip replacement off forever, and you are the first person I have seen on here or heard of who just like me leaned way over to one side. In my case when looking at my ex-ray a week before surgery it was plainly seen that my right side in the acetabelum was way higher than the left, this making my leg shorter on that side so I leaned. Their are many devices out their that can help assist you with being able to get dressed and reaching things, also some kind of bath seat with a pull down sprayer on a shower is very helpful. I can imagine some things would be difficult if a person lives alone. I have had many times I have had to ask my husband to pick something up for me, and he still helps me with my shoes unless I wear slip on shoes. Getting dressed has never been a problem since I have had to learn how to do this the past 15-16 months not being able to bend, walk or barely function. Funny how we all seem to adapt to things learning new ways to cope when we become disabled. I hope it all works out for you, and you feel better soon. Wishing you well....Barb

• Posted

Good for you Joy. It is a big decision to have the hip replacement. And it's true that it may not hurt that much pre op like for me but the discomfort, restricted range of motion, not being able to run made me go for it. Lots of good advice on the forum and pre surgery education literature. Forum hippies have super advice and support especially post surgery.

All the best to you,

Cathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.