Finally into walking boot!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dr today allowed partial weight baring for my post fusion surgery i had in June.. I've been losing my mind not walking.. It's not healed yet but fusing well so good news today😬

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle,

Prior to my ankle replacement I had a subtular fusion and it was almost 3 months before I was allowed to partial weight bear.

All I can say is please follow the surgeons/consultants instructions to the letter as it is so important not to do too much too soon.

I hope it rids you of pain, unlike mine, hence the replacement but then we are all individuals and what works for some doesn't for others.

When you get to walking properly the thing I found weird was walking up slight inclines due to the inflexibility but you soon get used to it.

Don't be shy in asking for the screws to be removed if they cause grief in your footwear (that's a doddle if you have to have it done.)

All the best for the future.

Jean 😊

• Posted

Yeah he was so vague on telling me as tolerated and weight bare as I feel comfortable.. Umm that is so hard for me because I can't quite determine what is too much. My foot feels fine but you're right I can't do to much too quick

• Posted

That's great danielle!

I'm glad to hear your out of the cast. The boot is so much more comfortable. You will eventually want to be rid of it too but it is a good bridge until your ready to be done with it. I am so happy for you. I know how nervous I was thinking they were going to tell me that it wasn't fusing yet or something along those lines. Did they give you a time line for how long you are partial weight bearing to fully weight bearing?

• Posted

The doctor told me that I can walk as tolerated.. Only problem is.. I don't feel pain right so can't judge when my foot is done.. I've been walking around my house for now without crutches because he said that I needed to see what my foot can take and go from there.. He also told me I could drive a little and that isn't fun.. When did you have surgery? How long did it take for you? Guess this is a big deal and I'm scared it's not gonna heal right because I unintentionally push it.. I know its fused but he said it's still soft but in a month he is expecting it to be a solid fusion

• Posted

Mine surgury was July 19th. I have been weight bearing and walking for 2 weeks. I can walk 1/2 an hour to 40 minutes before I start to feel it getting tired or ouchy. Then I need to elevate it. Can you use your swelling as a guide if you don't feel pain? I can take walks multiple times a day but that is about how long they last. Once or twice I walked for two hours without any ill effects but

• Posted

Sorry I hit the reply before I was done but I was saying that I walked a couple of times for 2 hours without any problems. One time wad for clothes shopping, lol. I thought I overdid it but I was fine after resting it. But clothes shopping and to the store wasn't like continual walking like on a track so that is why I could last longer on those outings

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.