Finally Kicking In

Posted , 5 users are following.

Was diganosed about 4 months ago with Hashimotos.  I felt like I was never going to feel any differently.  I know for some people Levothyroxine doesn't work, but for me I am starting to notice improvements.  No more constipation.  Don't feel tired ALL the time.  I just wanted to share with others who are just starting out.  I know it's difficult, but hopefully with the right medications and right dosage those suffering can feel at least a little better.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Cleveland.  I too am starting to have decent days.  The waiting game for the medication to work is the hardest part in my opinion.  I just want to guzzle a whole bottle of the stuff when I know that won't do me any good, and I simply need to be more patient.

For reference, I am on Tirosint 25 mcg a day.  Upping to 37.5 soon.  What dosage are you on that has worked so well?

Rose

• Posted

I am on 50 mg of Levothyroxine.  Started at 25 for 7 weeks then had it upped.  How long for you?
    • Posted

Cleveland, I started on Tirosint 13.5. mcg in April, then upped to 25 mcg about 7 weeks later, now upping to 37.5 today.  I'm hoping this is my last increase but I am of course will to go further unless hyper symptoms kick in.  My endo said she is willing to get the TSH to 0.5 if that's what it takes to relieve all of the symptoms.  I am a subclinical case although my TSH has been as high as 11.  

What about you, is your TSH way low now?  Do you think you'll need another increase?  

I'm not sure how far we will have to go since everyone's magical number is different. 

• Posted

My TSH started at 5.62, went to 3.99 and was 2.0 on last lab about a month ago.  I don't feel "great" but I sure feel better than before.  Feeling lousy didn't happen overnight so I assume feeling better won't either.

• Posted

I feel the same way, I ignored my symtoms for years because I never thought that I had an autoimmune disease (mine came on after the birth of my son 4 years ago).  Since it took me years to get so bad that I finally sought treatment, I assume it'll take me at least a year to feel better.

And I don't feel great either but I don't feel "slammed" every day....which I'll take!  

Do you have any weird not-so-common symptoms like near-constant hunger?  

• Posted

LOL My only constant hunger is just before my period.  My symptoms were fatigue, depression, constipation, change in libido, gained a few pounds that I couldn't get rid of, sensitive to cold.  My only non normal symptom was night sweats.  But we figured out that I was always so cold when I went to bed that I bundled up too much.  I hadn't been to a doctor in years so I have no idea how long I had the problem.  But I could tell I was feeling worse.  I just attributed it to getting older.  Was happy to know it was actually treatable!

• Posted

Thanks for the info, you definitely had some of the classic symptoms.  And yes I agree, so nice to know there's something that might help us.  Can you imagine back in the day, before doctors knew about hypothyroidism?! OMG people must've really suffered.  Thank goodness for modern medicine.

• Posted

Also would you mind sharing what symptoms have gone away or at least lessened?

For me I had terrible neck and shoulder pain on the left side, which is completely gone.  Migraines and headaches that are gone.  Bad knee pain on the right that has almost gone away.  Wooziness every day that has lessened but is not completely gone. Blood sugar imbalances still present.  Fatigue (especially after eating) is still present in differing degrees throughout the day.  And worsened cubital tunnel in the right elbow that I hope resolves as time goes on.

• Posted

Have you had other blood work done?  The fatigue after eating might be caused by something else.  How is your iron and B12?  Being low in either can contribute to fatigue. (I have to take supplements for both)

The symptoms that have changed the most for me would be I am going the bathroom on a regular basis.  It's an embarrassing topic, but going daily has made a huge difference!.  I lost the few pounds I wasn't able to.  I no longer have brain fog.  (That was driving me crazy!)  I would also say while I don't feel like I have an abundance of energy, I don't  feel like I am lacking energy either. So it's an improvement.  I am sleeping better too.  But I also started taking 3 mg of melatonin, which could also be playing a factor.

• Posted

Cleveland thanks for the suggestions.  I did have low ferritin last year (started at a 6) but am now up to 77 and have stopped the iron tabs.  B12 testing was fine as well.  Also had vitamin D testing which was good.  It must be the thyroid, or at least I am hoping it is, and that after this or the next increase that symptom will subside.

Going to the bathroom regulary can seem like such a LUXURY!  smile

Was your brain fog a physical sensation, like a head heaviness?  Or was it just "Where did I put my car keys?"

• Posted

My brain fog was more of a struggle for the right words.  It was embarrassing.  
    • Posted

Gotcha, thank you for clarifying.  It's so weird to me how our symptoms can be so different from person to person. The thyroid really affects everythng.  

• Posted

Thank you - this is so positive, and gives me hopeconfused
  • Posted

Have been on Levothyroxine a week now,25 micrograms . I take the tablet every morning at 7am and have a cup of tea around 9am. Shortly after I start to feel very nauseous and in about  1-2 hours have 1 bout of explosive diarrhea. I don't feel well until the middle of the afternoon. Is this normal, will it get better. I feel as if every morning is wasted, I never leave the house.

• Posted

That does NOT seem normal at all.  Are you eating anything or just having the tea?  Maybe you need some food in your belly.  Levo takes a bit of time to kick in (usually a few weeks or more), so I am surprised you would have such a dramatic reaction so quickly.  I would check with the pharmacist or doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.