Finally lifted leg!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Thank you to everyone for their words of encouragement and as you have all said I finally lifted my leg today after 7 weeks. It just happened when I was trying  and I am over the moon. Very strange as I really tried every day. Problem is my leg has now become really swollen and stiff. Can hardly bend it. I am elevating and using ice but little impact. Do I still do physio or hold off? I really need to work on bend and straighten as not good. I am seeing consultant on Monday and want to avoid MUA. Any suggestions? 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Congratulations on reaching a HUGE milestone!😁My left knee was a real bugger, and the lifting of it was a HUGE challenge. I certainly can relate to your JOY in finally achieving this!

Some knees swell more than others. I can sympathise with you on the SWELLING thing, too! My left knee swelled no matter WHAT I did until about 12 weeks.

Swelling complicates physical therapy. It complicates pretty much everything we try to do to get back in the fight! Ibuprofen helped me with swelling. Walking around d the house and in the yard and drinking plenty of water helped, too. Compression stockings that are thigh-high are helpful.

Keep in mind that swelling is our body's natural defense to combat trauma that has happened to it. Swelling is the body producing a kind of immobilisation to keep the injury (surgical procedure in our case) insulated from further damage. I guess some people's bodies are more defensive than others! I know my LEFT KNEE certainly was!!!😲

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl I think my left leg was weaker than my right too. The swelling is terrible and I am having to ignore it to some extent or I wouldn't do anything. I am doing knee slides and off most of meds too now. Just the bend to sort out. I also developed an infection in one of the stitch holes this week and so on antibiotics. That has been sore and may have restricted movement as right at the top. I wish the tight band feeling would go but that takes time I think. Thanks for suggestions. 

• Posted

At 12 weeks my leg is still very slightly swollen, but I think you are right, there is no point focusing too much on general swelling..unless things suddenly flare up. I want to encourage you....my tight band literally disappeared over night at 12 weeks almost to the day, cannot quite believe it
  • Posted

I'm only 1 week out from tkr and they just make me feel bad cause I can't do the straight leg lift. Thought I was out of the norm but reading all of this I find I'm not. It does make me feel better but yet not. I would like to just be able to do it and not feel like my leg is being ripped off it hurts so bad. None of the other things hurt like this. One other thing when did they go down on pain meds these seem a little over and a little much for before therapy I get way light headed and unstable.  Any suggestions are welcome.

• Posted

Hi just thought you'd like to know I am 6 weeks and still can't do the straight leg lift seen my consultant all he said scar looks good see you in 6 months and will then put me on the list for other knee. My physio is lovely and she said not to worring she did say don't lift if it's not going to try and a tube put under your knee and try lifting from the knee. She also which did work go on your side lift leg bringing foot up then roll onto to your back keeping you leg up it's painful just give it a go xx

• Posted

It just takes time.  Don't put ANY pressure on yourself.  Give up ALL expectations regarding time and don't compare yourself to anyone else.  This is YOUR recovery...OWN IT!!!  Keep up the good work...it will happen when it's meant to happen.

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

#1...  DON'T TAKE CRAP FROM ANYBODY!!!!!!!!

We are all different and react to this in different ways.  Understand that 1 week out is "the horror zone"...the first 30 days are the worst.  Get rid of all your expectations and just manage the pain.  That's it.  Just do the PT work and control your pain.  Endure it...get past it.  No judgment, no comparisons, no depression...just get past it.  Things will definitely start to improve.  

We've all been through this.  I'm surprised you're even on the computer.  I was just incoherently drooling on my pajamas.  Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.