Finally off Mirtazapine! You can do it too :)

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been off Mirt for just over two weeks now! smile Here's my journey.

For one year I was on 30mg for anxiety/mild depression. I do think Mirtazapine is a great drug for these conditions. However, weight gain is pretty much a guarantee, and this (for most people) will contribute to more anxiety. I did gain a few kilos - nothing overly noticeable – but I started feeling quite uncomfortable in my body/clothes. And the junk food cravings are the worst! You feel so out of control.

Anyway, my process for coming of 30mg:

Phase 1: A few days alternating between 30mg and 15mg

Phase 2: Two weeks on 15mg

Phase 3: Two weeks on 7.5mg

Phase 4: Nothing

This taper process might be too quick for some, but I was so desperate to get off Mirt that I wanted to speed things up. My doctor initially advised me to take three/four weeks on each phase, but I decided against this and it worked out fine. I felt well enough to come off. I didn’t notice any major withdrawal symptoms, but initially on some days I did feel more anxious. It was nothing I couldn't manage though. Now it has been over two weeks and I feel pretty good!

Please ask me ANY questions you may have and I will answer them happily and without judgement. You guys rock smile

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Give it another week or so and let us know how you are. You may be one of the lucky ones that got off of it easily. Congrats.
    • Posted

I'm trying not to detect negativity in your comment but thanks, I certainly will.
    • Posted

No negativity intended. I wish you all the best. I know people who were off it for nearly 3 weeks before WD set in. Just being cautious for you. I most sincerely hope you are completely successful and have no further problems. There are folks who do as well as you, it's just we are used to the ones that don't.

Wishing you ALL the best!!!  confused

• Posted

Hi sapphire, firstly a big well done, I am currently trying to withdraw but having a bad time, I have been rotating for a week on 15/7.5 but have to say feel rough everyday, some worse than others, I am tempted to just drop to 7.5 and try and ride it. Feeling fed up to be honest, the rotating doses seem to play my days up as well like a pattern, so think I might just stick with 7.5 and hope for the best
    • Posted

Thanks Craig, I really appreciate it. I would suggest you at least try just dropping straight down to 7.5 for a while and see how it goes! At the start of my taper process I alternated for a few days on 30/15mg and I found it was really uncomfortable and made me feel rubbish! I wish you all the best. Stick at it and don't give up!
  • Posted

sapphire, all I have to say is that you should thank God for your unusual progress. You are definately the exception to what most people suffer. I wish you well and hope things continue to improve. Congrats, David
  • Posted

did you have anxiety while going on the drug?  i was trying to do 30 but was having so much anxiety the dr. reduced it.  i feel like i am on a roller coaster and i don't know what to do.
    • Posted

Yes, I had bad anxiety when I went on the drug. Just stuck with what is feeling right for you. Listen to your mind and your body smile
  • Posted

Well done! You are one of the lucky - and determined - ones. Unfortunately I had horrendous withdrawal effects after reducing from 30 to about 22.5 once a week for 2 weeks, then twice a week for a few weeks,then I got to once every 3 days, and then the effects suddenly escalated and have CONTINUED escalating for another 2 weeks with me back on the full dose. I'd been on it for 6 years, so perhaps that was a factor, but I'd been fine for over a year before I started the reduction.
    • Posted

She is only 2 weeks out. I am curious to see how she does after another week. Although, she really MAY be one of the lucky ones.
  • Posted

Thats good news, I am currently coming of Mirt, so far so good, I had a lovely e mail from CITA before they closed, on how to taper of successfully and have to say so far so good, ive gone from 15mg to 7.5 to 3.25, I am on my second week of taking half the 7.5 tablet ie: 3.25 and feel fine, no problems, next week, I will start to taper down to half of 3.25 and then miss a tablet i day out of 7 and so on.

Do not want to put a downer on, but a friend of mine stopped after she got down to 7.5 and after two weeks, felt terrible and had to go back on, I guess its different for everyone. 

• Posted

Hello Sapphire,

Well here's a good story for once !!!  I truely wish you well and hope all your troubles in future will be little ones wink  Please keep in touch with us struggling to follow in your foot steps.  If all else fails and you need to share your story again or look for support, or share your fortune of  return to the real world it will be great to hear from you.  

Best wishes to you 

• Posted

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!!! It makes me hopeful for coming off Mirt and going on an alternative.

Were you feeling well enough to work throughout the tapering process?

I am wondering if I'll be fit enough to work next week. yikes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.