Finally off venlafaxine

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's taken about 9 months, 2 trips to Emergency department, lots of hard work, but I'm finally about 1 day away from being on a Max dose of 300mg.

So i hope this is some encouragement to others who feel dependent. It can be done. Its not easy and you have to stick it out but I'm an example.

Worst for me was around 100 down to 50. That took longest. It involved 24 hour headaches and constant nausea. I basically lived off a prescribed high dose of ibuprofen and paracetamol. Plus i had to get a prescription strength anti nausea tablet.

But there's light at the end of the tunnel. I'm now on about 5mg and stopping in the next day or so. Now i don't have headaches. I do have slight brain zaps but i assume I'll have to live with that for another few months.

So if you're on the journey or thinking about it, feel free to ask me anything. But the overall message is its doable.

Ted.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Nice one Ted, I've just started taking Venlafaxine again. 

• Posted

I'm coming off all depression related meds cos my doctor and psych said they don't work. It hasn't helped me in 5 years so im going out alone.

And no, I'm not better now. I'm worse than ever but at least I'm off what i think is The most addictive drug money can buy.

• Posted

I take venlafaxine and it helps me. If you are coming off all meds,that could be dangerous for you. You obviously have ben on the wrong ones for you.Do you have support? Do you see a Phychiatrist??
    • Posted

I have 2 psychiatrists!

Honestly, nothings gonna happen all of a sudden. I've been months coming off this drug.

My doctors have left me on 1 medication that doesn't work for 5 years with no attempt to change to other anti depressiants. This is despite every piece of literature saying you should get to try every type.

I've given up fighting them. And I've given up fighting depression. For me the battles over.

• Posted

I have taken venkafaxine and mirtazapine since July 2015 and I have my life back. I hope they keep working so well for me. I never want to go back to the hell I was in before my psychiatrist found the meds that worked for me.
  • Posted

That's good to know Ted. I've come off of it once before from 150mg and it was pretty crap. Back on it again at 375mg and it's not doing much at all.

My psychiatrist is now talking about starting to come off as it is obviously not helping. I've taken other antidepressants in the past (sertraline and citalopram) with little effect on my depression.

He's now wondering if I am drug resistant which scares the sh!t out of me. I hope they try you on something else if that's what you want.

• Posted

Hi Ted,  

That is flipping awesome, great work man.  

Venlafaxine is a special demon and may those who prescribe it without full warning and disclosure, one day feel the shock of a cattle prod on their head so they realize what their patients feel like.  I know sometimes it's really needed, but what would a little upfront honesty hurt?

Even though you've proven yourself a true warrior please don't get cocky at 5mg.  I know it sounds strange but the last bit can still be tough after long weaning.

I'm just saying don't let your guard down now after coming this far.

One more suggestion - when the last symptoms stop, consider taking a picture of yourself giving the middle finger to a bottle of VF and sharing it with us.  Then, we'll all stand over the corpse of one of suffering's slain soldiers and spit on his grave!  Too dramatic?  Ok forget sending the picture, I've just walked in your shoes and am so glad to see one more person make it.

Congratulations -

• Posted

I have taken venlafaxine and mirtazapine since July 2015 and I have my life back. I know the same meds don't work the same for everybody, but for me they saved me from the hell I was in and I'm still doing great.

• Posted

Thanks Unforgiven that's some great comments there. Its like a combination of coming off VF and a tribute to Black Sabbath!

I'll definitely take your comments on board. I know I've a few days to go to get it out of my system!

I dunno what the plan is next. Few weeks of no drugs. I think I'm drug resistant too. That or drugs don't work. As i said above, my doc and psych said drugs aren't gonna work for me. Its going to have to be all my own work. I don't fully understand what that means cos in the last few years I've overcome addictions, repaired relationships, gotten a stable job, gotten a place to live etc etc etc. But through it all my depression remains as bad as ever.

So im pretty much giving up as to this is my life now. Its a pain cos all i want is pain relief. Take a pill every morning and feel free of suicidal thoughts.

But that's not real life. That's not gonna happen.

Ps... Love the imagry of using a cattle prod on the heads of those who prescribe this cr@p too. So apt.

• Posted

Ted, have they never tried you on anything else at all? I'm going to ask if I can try a non SSRI or SNRI medication, maybe one of the tryciclic antidepressants as they work in a different way. The other thing that's been suggested is ECT treatment but I'm not going anywhere near that until they've tried everything else.

Good luck with the last bit. Keep us posted on how you get on smile

• Posted

Well Unforgiven was right. I got cocky with 5mg to go thinking I've finally beat this stuff.

How wrong i was. Venlafaxine is the most evil drug i have ever comne across. 6 months trying to get off it was hell. The 2 days on 0mg have been worse. I can't work. I can't do anything. I'm shaking, sweating, disoriented, fearful, depressed. I finally took xanax which took the edge of the withdrawals. That's fine but it makes me so tired. Haven't been able to do anything.

Oh, abs the electric brain zaps are back and worse than ever.

Im on day 3 day and more resolute then ever not to go back on this terrible drug. But I'm dying. I feel like I'm fading away. Anyone gone thru the last few days or there to help me.?

For anyone thinking of starting VF, just read my thread. Stay away from this hellish most addictive drug you will ever have the misfortune to see.

Now to vomit and shake my way thru day number 3.

Ted

• Posted

Not all people who take venlafaxine react to it the way you do. I have taken it for two years now and I'm doing great with no side effects. It gave me my life back. How lucky no did you take it and why did you decide to stop taking it? Did you talk to your doctor about your problems with it and discuss other options? You may have been on the wrong dosage. Any medication taken lol no term can become addictive. That's why your doctor will usually tell you how to taper to avoid the worst symptoms of withdrawal, if and when you need to stop taking a med.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.