Finally PIP decision letter has come

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

I went for my assessment in July and today received the decision letter. I was previously on standard rate for both components. I have been awarded enhanced care and remain on standard rate for mobility. Disappointed with mobility component as I struggle a lot. What's the best way to appeal this

Secondly what bearing does it have on my ESA. Just had my assessment for that two weeks ago and currently awaiting decision. I'm on contribution based at the moment

And I just want to say thank you to all of you, you made it much easier for me to handle the application and thanks Denise for answering all my questions. God bless

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

I was only thinking about you a few days agho and wondered how you got on. I'm sorry it's not the decision you were hoping for.

Firstly how many points did you score for the mobility part? Deciding whether to ask for the MR you need to think very carefully because they will look at the whole award again and not just the Mobility part, so you do risk losing everything you have. On the other hand most MR decision remain the same 80% do infact. The likelyhood of you having to take it to Tribunal is very high 65% of those who appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour. Is it the "moving around part" you were awarded for? If you decided to ask for the MR you have 28 days to do this. Having a copy of the assessment report for this will help.

The PIP has no bearing on your ESA what so ever i'm afraid. They're 2 completely different benefits with completely different criteria. People claim PIP and work. With ESA you're assessed on the work you can do and not the work you can't do. Being on Contribution based you would need to be put into the Support Group for this to continue after 365 days (1 year) if you're put into the WRAG and you're not entitled to Income Related then it stops after this time. For me ESA assessment is always the worst one. Hopefully for you the decision will be in your favour.

Allways happy to help.

• Posted

Hi Denise

Thanks for your reply as always. I was given 10 points on the moving around part. So I was just 2 away from enhanced mobility. Last time they gave me 8 I think. I feel I should have been awarded points for planning and following a journey due to distress on account of my anxiety

On care component I was given 16 points

Thanks

• Posted

2 points off is so close, yet so far away. Scoring any points for anxiety for the mobility part of PIP is extremely difficult, which is probably why you didn't score anything for that. Do you have any evidence to prove this descriptor applies to you. This is the descriptors that awards 4 points...Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. Hmm this is a very difficult one and to be honest if it was me then i'd take the award i've got and say thank you very much, but you're not me. How long is the award for this time?

• Posted

The award is until 3 July 2020

What sort of evidence would they be looking for under needs prompting to undertake a journey. On the form I did try and explain due to anxiety I suffer panic attacks when I to outside.

• Posted

So next review would be July 2019, as they review 1 year before the award is due to end. Evidence based on descriptor. When you had your last assessment, was anyone with you and where was it, at home or did you attend one of their assessment centres?
    • Posted

I had the assessment at their centre and was alone as I had nobody to accompany me and had written requesting a home assessment and they refused
    • Posted

Oh, well being alone  during that assessment and also saying you have anxiety issues and wanting 4 extra points for the mobility part "planning and following a journey" when the descriptors states this... " Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid over whelming psychological

distress to the claimant". Being alone for that assessment would have gone against you, i'm sorry. Those words "overwhelming psychological distress" makes it extremely difficult for those with mental health issues to gain points for this part of the mobility. I would seriously take your award you have and say thank you very much. Of course it's totally your decision what you do, but you would need extremely good evidence to gain those 4 points.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.