Finally PT

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I finally went to PT and took my first steps! That was my biggest fear that I would not walk! Was sent home with home exercises. I get a one week break and I will have PT twice a week! Out of cast 09/27/18. Orif Surgery for ankle on 08/15. Still painful and stiff ankle! Wish me luck. I will keep you updated on progress๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Wow! Good for you! You can walk!

Questions:

What did they do in PT that enabled you to walk that you weren't able to do at home?

How was your foot after PT?

How is your swelling?

Unfortunately, I can't walk at all.

My PT at the moment doesn't involve ANY walking. My ankle is too stiff (there is no 90 degree angle) and therefore, my foot won't lie flat on floor.

I think my progress is going very slowly. I am starting to get p****d off about it.

I wonder what am I possibly doing wrong.

Missy

• Posted

I thought the same way too. I soak my feet in hot water and I can move my ankle while soaking it. After I put like Vaseline on my foot for dry skin and I put sock on. After I try wiggling my toes and moving my ankle as much like doing the ABCs. It will still get stiff and pain is there. I keep wet washcloths in the freezer for pain and elevate it. I had only one visit with my PT. She made me put weight in my boot. I am not 90 degrees either. She massaged my foot and we went over my exercises. I had to touch my ankle, massage it and move it around myself. No pain a slight discomfort but I did it. She helped rewrap my ankle in the boot. I had to stand straight and put weight in my boot. She got the walker and told me to walk. I just did little steps to the door and turned back! My ankle was in pain and it was swollen. I just did the ice and elevation. It also got stiff and sore.

I wish you luck on your rehabilitation!

• Posted

My PT is ongoing.

• Posted

Missy, I've had 4 sessions of PT and they are not having me walk either. I too am VERY stiff. I did take about 7 steps at home last Wednesday with no assistive device. I haven't been able to do it again. In fact, the PT advised against it unless I had a walker in front of me with at least my fingers touching for safety. It's difficult to not compare to others' progress, isn't it? I'm sure we'll all be walking soon at our own pace. Which bones did you injure? How many weeks post-op are you? I know you posted before somewhere... Hope you're having a good day.

• Posted

Hi Adzaa211!

Gotta admit your first day of PT that starts right off the bat with WALKING is definitely a lot different from what I'm being asked to do.

My PT stated that without being able to place my foot flat on the floor in correct angle (heel on the floor) - walking would only be painful - if not impossible (or very unstable).

Or is that bulls**t?

This inconsistency in rehab really troubles me and angers me. How can anyone know they are getting the RIGHT treatment when every treatment is different. I'm definitely going to bring this up tomorrow with my PT tomorrow.

But I'm happy with your progress! Good job Adzaa211!!

Missy

Accident: Trimalleolar Fracture 8/10/18

Surgery: ORIF 8/16/18

• Posted

I see that most of you are a little further ahead of me and am wondering what PT was like for you guys? I fractured the distal end of my left fibula on 10/23/2018 and had ORIF surgery on 10/31! I am 4 weeks post op in a walking boot and feeling great. I started partial weight bearing 2 weeks post op after finding some scientific studies that said weight bearing as tolerated sped up the healing process without causing damage (orthopedic told me non weight bearing for 4 more weeks post op). My swelling is almost non existent, I have much of my range of motion back, and I feel comfortable walking unassisted even without the boot (for those times i just want to walk around my room or to the bathroom). As an athlete, I am trying to be fully functional for a national cheerleading competition Jan 20 (so would want to be practicing about 9 weeks post op). How long was PT for you guys and when were you fully functional?

Thanks so much for any help!

• Posted

That's awesome. Positives give me hope. I had an ORIF of my left ankle on November 6 due to a trimalleolar fx. I fractured it playing football with my sons and ended up with 13 screws and 2 plates. It has been pretty tough on me because I'm very active and can't stand sitting still. I'm a little over 3 weeks post op and the pins and needles and burning are driving me nuts. It's constant. When does this go away? I know everyone is different. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

still struggling had setback injured my knee so have to do PT for both ankle and knee. I am in a walker makes it easier than a crutches. Recovery is slow still have PT. Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.