Finally quitting tramadol!

Posted , 4 users are following.

First, I am new here. Let me start by saying I have been taking tramadol for almost 4 years. I usually take 4 50mgs a day sometimes 3, sometimes 5. I finally made the decision to stop for good. My quit day is tomorrow Nov. 27, 2017.

I was extremely worried about the withdrawals, because if u research it says you can have hallucinations, seizures etc. So I decided to try it before I was out to see if it was really that bad. The first time I made it 32 hours and gave in.the second day I made it 46 hours. It was pretty bad but I was taking xanax so it helped a little. But tomorrow is the day and there's no turning back! Anyone else going thru the same?? I could use some reassurance and hope. Thanks for reading!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Just don’t give up & quit. I assure you that it will be the roughest 3 weeks of your life if you stop cold turkey. I was taking 6-8 50mg pills/day then went to 1 1/2 pill/day & I still experienced horrific w/d’s. I’m not going to sugar coat this & tell you that you will have good days during those 1st few weeks, but I promise if you keep at it, at about week 4 you will notice a drastic difference. I stopped with 2 entire prescriptions left & I remained strong & didn’t give in. It’s a fight worth fighting. I did go see my primary care doc to get help, and I highly suggest doing the same thing & tell him everything. They will help. I was also given Xanax but I tried to stay away from that stuff unless I absolutely couldn’t take it anymore. Getting hooked on Xanax & trying to come off of it can apparently be just as bad. Towards the end, I will tell you that you may stil lack some energy & have some slight anxiety but I found that getting outside & walking or working out helped with that tremendously. There is an end to it... but it’s your fight & only you can do it. I’m lucky my fiancé was extremely supportive & he knew what he & I was going to go through during the w/d process. So, it also helps having someone close to you for support. I’m here if you have any questions. I commend you for doing this.

• Posted

Thank you for the quick response. Did u ever during the first week try any supplements or home remedies? I only have enough Xanax to get me through the first week. But I am going to go thru with this no matter what. Sleeping is the hardest part tossing and turning, cold, and sweating. Ugh I wouldn't wish this on anyone!

How long have you been clean?

Thanks again😊

• Posted

Hi "respect" 👊👍

My advise to you is to go down slowly 3 tabl 7 days,,

2 tabl 7 days it's like 30%

1 tabl 7 days is 50% from 2 tabl.

And 0 tabl is 100%,,,so think about it before you quit,,if you go slowly you will succeed! I am on tram long time and I was clean 3-4 years,but accident toke me back,,but I will quit again,,and I m talking like 30 x 50 mg/ day.

Good luck! You will succeed!!

• Posted

Unfortunately I was pretty unsuccessful with the taper thing. I was only able to get down to 2 a day, but I am completely out except for 2 that my husband is holding off unless absolutely necessary. But there's no chance in hell I will ever go back. Just looking for insite to see how people handle the withdrawals. Thank you😊

Success stories bring me so much hope😊

• Posted

I started back in july when I did that “super taper. I finally was able to be clean from it in oct. I decided to do a much slower taper coming off. Once I was finally comfortable with the 1 1/2 pills/day I started tapering down 1/2 pillabout every 2 weeks or until I was completely comfortable at that dosage. I finally was free from them for weeks, until I decided to take 1 every now & then. I admit I got back on them again but only taking 1 pill/day. Again, I tapered down to 1/2 pill/day until I was comfortable & I’m free from them again. This last time around was nothing compared to the 1st time. I finally ran out & that is the best thing that’s happened to me. If I ever get hurt & need pain meds again, I will specifically not ask for Tramadol. I’ve never take any type of drugs in my life before Tramadol. I’ve never had the need until I had a botched knee surgery that led to several more surgeries to follow. It’s amazing how your body reacts on them & then getting off them. Again, I commend & highly support anyone thatsngoing through this.

• Posted

And to answer your question, I did not try any home remedies at all.
  • Posted

Day 4.. still no sleep, pain, sweats, creepy crawling feeling.. ugh I just want this to be over!!! I'm not giving in but I am starting to have urges again. When will the worst be over?

• Posted

So sorry you’re going through this but it is going to take a few weeks, not days. If you can take time off work, I highly suggest you do. Get outside & make yourself walk & try to get lots of sunshine. Watch lots of movies or read a good book. You have to keep your mind busy. At about the end of week 3 those symptoms should start letting up. I will tell you that you will continue to have some anxiety & tiredness but that will pass as well. Caffeine seems to make you feel worse so try to lay off coffee. Drink lots of water or Gatorade. Again, keep busy & exercise even if it feels like you’re going to collapse. Those are the things that got me thru it. Keep at it. Prayers coming your way. I promise, there is an end.

• Posted

How’s your Tramadol “recovery” going? Hopefully you’re over the hardest part by now. Merry Christmas!
    • Posted

I made it to 3 weeks yesterday! I'm very proud but it has been very hard, alot of depression and anxiety. I'm glad the worst is over, I just hope the mental stuff goes away soon😏

• Posted

That’s awesome! I’m so proud of you. I didn’t listen to another when he suggested I get rid of that last prescription I was hanging onto & started taking 1-2 a day. Then I started taking 1 pill/day & had to wean myself off again. I’ve been off of it again for about a month & I am out of them. I don’t have the depression at all but I still get the anxiety. It’s mild & tolerable, but still frustrating. I’ve been tolerating it because I have to but then I find something to keep myself busy & it goes away. From what I’ve read on these forums it can last for months but it does go away. You should be proud of yourself. It’s not an easy battle, I know. Congrats for beating this. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.