Finally Some Good News For Me

Posted , 5 users are following.

Firstly, this is not an attempt to gloat here. I'm all too aware from years of suffering that I'll never be completely in the clear with kidney stones, ever. But I have had a rough going in the last few years, and this forum can be rough reading for those of us who suffer from them. So in the hope of raising some spirits, I thought I'd share some of my recent good fortune.

I had my one-year return appointment with my urologist last week and received an "All Clear" from him. Images were taken of my kidneys prior to the apointment, and they only showed traces of microscopic stones which he feels should easily pass on their own. The urine sample I provided showed no traces of blood or any high content of minerals. The doctor said something along the lines of "keep up the good work" and that said he'd see me in a year.

Needless to say it was a relief to hear this.

A year ago at this time I was preparing for ureteroscopic surgery to remove a 6mm sized stone. The immediate post-surgical experience was painful (primarily when I had to urinate), and that damn stent I had to have inside for two weeks and a day was a miserable experience.

Over the course of the last year I made my most concerted effort yet to lower the amount of oxalates in my diet. I'd done this in previous years too, but I always seemed to fall off the wagon after a few weeks/months. This time I made it a major part of my daily routine. I also dramatically cut my sodium intake -- this is hard to do because I was (past tense!) a huge lover of salty snacks, especially at night. And, of course, I've made a more determined effort to increase my water intake all day long. I still need to be better about this, but I'm better about it than in any previous period of my life.

The only other change in the last year is that the urologist prescribed Urocit-K (potassium citrate) tablets after my surgery, and I've been taking it twice a day ever since. I'll continue to take them going forward too. It had been previously prescribed from about age 35 to 45 , and I remember it being pretty effective then too. But when a former GP changed my blood pressure medication to Losartan -- which already contains a fair amount of potassium -- I was taken off of Urocit-K. I now take Amlodopine for high blood pressure, however, so that interaction is no longer an issue.

I know some question whether potassium citrate is really all that effective against the production of stones. I suppose like so many other things, it probably depends on the individual. I'm going to simply believe that it does help me. The co-pay for a 30 day supply with my insurance is fortunately only $10.

I am 59 years old. I had my first kidney stone at 25 and have had at least four surgeries to remove the larger ones. I can't even begin to guess at the number of smaller ones I've passed with awful pain.

My vigilance with the diet and water will continue unabated. This will always be a lifetime struggle for me. But it was nice to have had a stone-free year, and I sure as hell hope I can continue that for a while.

I wish the same for all of you. Keep the faith!

• Martin

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Martin

So I've suffered plenty too....and I have them in me still today.... that they wanna wait and see...

(so I'm a ticking time bomb) ...the urologist and the kidney doctor pass me back and forth neither one ever makes it a commitment to fix the problem...(the Cause !)

1. So my question to you is What exactly did you change in your diet ?

2. My stones were oxylates , they said no more ice tea

3. I hate water too... but I'm trying to increase it..... I drink alot of lemonade now

Any other ideas ?

• Posted

Hi, Jaguar.

I tried to follow as carefully as possible a diet that was low in oxalates. I read as much as I could on websites and in books, but honestly there are so many inconsistencies and conflicting information among all the sources. Some will say "x" is fine to eat, while others say to stay away from it. It can drive you crazy. So you sort of have to follow your own nose, find a directive that seems to make sense and stick to it.

Yes, ice tea is a no-no. So are most black teas (herbal are fine, though). Stay away from whole wheat, chocolate, green peppers, beans, salt-heavy foods and snacks, egg plant, potatoes, quinoa, buckwheat, draft beer, spinach, rhubarb... okay, I'll stop there, but there's so much more. It's maddening!!!!

What can you have? Well, if you like to have a cocktail before dinner, wine and hard liquor have very little oxalates. So have that martini without fear. You can also have coffee. Raw tomatoes are fine (careful about cooked though), pasta, oatmeal, chicken and beef, rice, corn, corn meal, oats, corn chips (but watch the sodium!), bannanas, apples, pumpkin, melon.... and the list goes on and on also.

It takes a while to adjust, and for the first few months is overwhelming and taxing. But eventually you do begin to figure it out. Now start Googling! 😃

Good luck and keep the faith.

• Martin
  • Posted

Martin,

thanks for the post. It has been really encouraging to most of us who have these problems. I also had a terrible experience with stones. Over the past 2 years, I have been taking some natural supplements and vitamins to cleanse my system and have to admit, I have not had any problems since I started taking these. I was recommended by a friend and will forever remain grateful to him

• Posted

Bekind,

That's wonderful to hear. However you've managed to do it, two years of being stone-free is fantastic. Terrific news! I read all the new posts on this forum religiosity, and so many are heartbreaking. I just thought it might be helpful to share something positive.

Keep doing what you're doing and stay stone-free!

• Martin
    • Posted

Absolutely Martin. The condition of some people gives me goosebumps. I thank EU Natural for the supplement that changed my life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.