Finally stopped

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was on 30 for over 10 years and finally decided it was time to stop. I spent several weeks gradually lowering the dosage with no side effects. I have found my mind is clearer, started writing again, so far so good. Things are still going wrong in my life, but I am coping. I don't regret taking them but am now glad to be off them again.

I just wanted to share this, and wish all of you the best with your ongoing journeys

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Brilliant, well done, how many weeks did you taper off for, I hope to be med free by the end of the year. If all goes to plan
  • Posted

I can completely relate. I've tapered gradually for the last 3 months and I feel like I'm back to my old self again. Now on 5 mg, will take it down to 2.5 mg and in a couple of weeks stop completely. They have done the trick for me, but I couldn't cope with the sexual side effects and the anhedonia. 

As you've been on for many years (I was only on for 10 months) I suggest you taper very slowly and reduce the doses gradually, even if it means tapering over a year or so. The more gradual the taper, the better you will feel once you are completely off.

• Posted

I would say at least 8 weeks. Reduced 5 at a time, very cautiously at first. Really hope I never feel the need to start again, though thank God for them when they are needed
  • Posted

Hi Helen I am currently on 40mg and know I have a way to go yet. It is so good to hear positive news from someone who has benefited from cita.

Gives us all a boost and something, one day, to look forward to!

Excellent news, we are glad for you.

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Just in response to some questions, the length of time coming off takes is very personal. It will vary depending on dosage, the reasons for starting them, your circumstances and mental state now - the list goes on.

What I would say is that you need to be tuned into your 'inner voice' if you can't withdraw yet then don't. Still needing medicinal support is not a failure, wait a while, try again, take it as slowly as you need. There is only one right way - your own way.

CAUTION - don't rush it. I didn't speak to my GP first but I should have done so please do

• Posted

Well done Helen, and thank you for writing your message on here, I started to cut down yesterday from 20mg to 15, I tried once before and managed to get down to 5mg but I think I should have stuck at it then but didn't and went back to 20 which is something I always regret, I'm glad you are feeling a lot better now you are off of them.
    • Posted

What was it that happened when you got down to 5 last time? That dosage is only a mild sedative so the work was really already done. Was it too soon, did something happen to panic you? I have no magic formula, other than lots of deep breaths ( literally) Best of luck with trying again, hope you succeed this time x
  • Posted

Hello Helen,

I have been taking Citalopram 20mg for quite a few years now and prior to that 'Seroxat.' I have tried numerous times to come of it completely but without success.I suffer from anxiety, panic, depression, Citalopram has definately helped me.Although I do get very depressed no one would really notice that. .Since two months I have been cutting down on my intake and am now taking a little leass than 10mg a day(5 a week).Everything seems to be okay except for one thing; I have never been so tired in my life.I am in my sixties but quite fit and not over weight and have never smoked.I can easily sleep anytime of the day and that would've been unheard of before.I am yawning all day and my eyes feel as though I've had a good cry.(which I haven't.Maybe this due to something else?  I wish you the very best in succeeding with coming off this tablet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.