Finally switched to Escitalopram!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've had the bottle of pills in my cupboard for probably 7 weeks now;-). I'd just been too nervous to switch.

?Previously, I was on 40 mg. of Citalopram for 5 years, when it quit working for me. That was a huge and scary disappointment, because I'd just sort of assumed they'd always work for me, and I planned to always be on them. Citalopram was the first antidepressant I had ever been on, and I had a really rough time starting them, so I was not keen on switching to something else!!

?My doctor wrote me out a prescription to escitalopram. I'm hoping a lower dosage will be effective for me, so I had her start me at 10 mg. rather than the 20 mg, which is what the equivalent dose is for Citalopram. When I started Citalopram, my doctor (different one than this one!) started me on 20 mg, then bumped me up to 40 mg. after a week, so I never got the chance to see if 20 mg. would have worked for me. I'm hoping the 10 mg. of the Escitalopram will work; that way I can always move up if needed:-).

?I'll probably keep updating here how my switch is going. I cut the three pills in half, so my first 6 days will be 5 mg.

?So far, after taking the 5mg this morning the only side effect I've had was a very minor stomach ache about an hour after I took it, probably from taking it on an empty stomach.

?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Day 47 on 15 mg.

?Overall, I'm doing well on the 15 mg. I no longer have feelings of dread, and I'm usually in a pretty good mood, even when having a blip.

?I'm still having sleep issues off an on. I'll sleep great for several nights in a row, then have insomnia, which triggers anxiety. Then, I'll have worried thoughts and lack of appetite. I think I am starting to handle it better though.

?I'll probably end up going to 20 mg, but I want to wait at least another month, to see if I even out on the 15.

• Posted

I was wondering how you are doing. I was taking 10 mg of Cit for 19 years and ran out when I went home to Ct to take care of my mother.

I wound up being off it for a week and felt absolutely fine. I immediately went back on citalopram when I got back home and suddenly out of nowhere woke up on day three like inwas an empty shell. No emotions,no appetite, high anxiety and also incurred obsessive thoughts after the first week of being paranoid that I am stuck like this.

I am on day 22 and I feel like i may lose my mind unable to focus on anything but my lack of emotions and how I feel dead inside.

I have been told that I can feel this way for weeks or even months and its killing me.

My Dr refilled my script but changed it to Escitalopram 20mg I have about two weeks of CIT left and wonder if i should just swap now or not swap at all.

I feel like I am losing my mind and I am so desperate to have feelings back and rid this obsessive thoughts so i can be happy again.

I went on a one week DISNEY cruise praying it would spark some emotions but it didn't help.

I have so much to look forward too and i feel hopeless.

any insight would help.

Andrea

• Posted

Andrea, you definitely need to swap to Escitalopram! you've suffered long enough, you need to get back to feeling like yourself again, I take Escitalopram myself and it does wonder, effective and few side effects. Best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you for replying Hana,

can I ask how long you have been on it and what side effects you had?

I have to ask my Dr what the best way to switch from cit to escit is as I am currently taking the last of my Citalopram.

I have read mixed messages from people.

Some say they went straight into the Escitalopram with no issues and others say they had to slowly go off the Cit before starting the Escit because they became worse.

My side effects are at their worse right now so not sure what else I can get so starting straight into seems best but I am so afraid.

Thank you again!!

• Posted

I've been taking it since last June, the biggest side effect I had is insomnia during the first 2 month but it's gone, mild Anxiety in the morning also the first two month. They say it's easier to switch to another Antidepressant, in my case I was taking Zoloft for 6 month to no use, my feelings were similar to yours at that time and I needed to change that, so I started taking Escitalopram right away and thank God it worked!

So to answer your question, small percentage of people have to slowly taper off. You never know till you try.

• Posted

I am on day two of Escitalopram 10mg yesterday i did great.

Felt less anxious after a few hours and today wow not good.

I know it all takes time. I am trying to stay focused on that.

It helps me to post an update.

• Posted

Thank you!!

I am so glad you're doing better!!

I cant wait for that to be me

thanks again!!!

• Posted

has anyone suffered the loss of emotions and feeling like an empty shell? If so how long dis that last? my emotions have been gone for 25 days which is what i believed caused the severe anxiety and obsessive thoughts.

i switched from 10 mg of citalopram to 10 mg of escitalopram yesterday.

Yesterday I felt much better 2 hours after my first dose and today I woke up with severe anxiety. I took my second dose at 7:00 am and I am still bad.

I just walked 30 minutes and its taken the edge off but nothing like i felt yesterday.

ALSO did anyone go from one to the other without tapering? My dr doesn't have me tapering and im a tad nervous but feel i cant get worse.

24 hours a day I am a mess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.