Finally went to the ortho

Posted , 5 users are following.

From this discussion: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/should-i-go-to-an-ortho--531157

If you don't want to read all that: I sprained my ankle in April, it never healed right, I went to the ortho.

So I went to see the ortho today, and I feel like I had a pretty comprehensive exam. He watched me walk, he looked at my ankle, tested my ROM and strength, the whole 9 yards.

He said it was obvious that I re-injured my ATFL, so he put me in a boot for at least the next 3 weeks which realyl sucks, but oh well. I see him again in 3 weeks, and hopefully we see some healing! He did scare me a bit though when he said "hopefully we can fix this without surgery." I can't do another ankle surgery! One, surgery sucks, and 2, I need to be working, I can't be off my feet for as long as that would take. So let's hope and pray that being in the boot and having that immobilization works!! Oh, and it's a fancy boot -- one of those grey Aircast boots that come apart and have those air chambers. Never been in one of these before...they look space like lol

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Keeponsingin, love your name, by the way!  I hope hope you don't have to have another surgery either.  I had one to put the metal in and I have to have one more, to take the screws out (per my doctor, after 10-12 months). 

I had the same boot you mentioned.  I'd like to offer some friendly advice:  IF possible, take your foot out of the boot every single day and try to move your ankle.  Even if it's for literally 1 minute.  I stayed in the boot so long, my ankle is basically "frozen."  No ROM.  It's only been about 4 months for me, but my ankle is stuck in the flat position. 

Good luck to you!  :-)

Beth

• Posted

Thanks for the comment on my username smile

My doctor said that I don't need to sleep with the boot, so I absolutely won't! But hanging out around the house I will because I get up to go places so often. So unless I know I'm gonna be somewhere for a good bit of time, it's gonna stay on.

I still have the screw or whatever in my ankle and its been 9 years! But it wasn't meant to come out, so it's all good smile And it's not metal which I know because I can have MRIs done.

Here's hoping that this all works out!

• Posted

Hey!! I got my boot yesterday and it is so much better than the cast; I will have it for 6 mos and then PT. I was told I could take it off if I am just laying around and also have to do ROM exercises 5 times per day. I can already see a little bit of progress but it is so painful. I also do not have to sleep with the boot. I worried all night that my hubby would inadvertently kick it 😱. All docs are so different ! I also will not have to have plate and screws removed unless there are problems down the way.... Though I m pretty sure the inner ankle screws are causing some pain...will see.

Hang in/ we will all get through these miserable injuries - what does not kill you makes you stronger.😉

• Posted

Keeponsingin,  biggrin

Lucky you - as far as not having to have the screw removed.  I guess it depends on the doctor, as far as removing the screws.  Maybe my screw isn't meal either.  I'm glad you mentioned that.  But eventually, I'm going to be walking around with a "lose screw."  LOL!!  Everyone who knows me, know I already have a lose screw!  And yes, here is hoping this all works out.  lol

Beth

• Posted

It's just too much work to put it on and take it off if I'm just hanging around the house and will most likely get up multiple times. Like I said, if I know I'm gonna be in one spot for awhile, I take it off, but if I think I'll be moving I'll leave it on.

• Posted

Hi Jan,

So glad you got your boot yesterday!  And also glad to hear you're seeing some progress already.  I remember having to sleep with my boot on for a few weeks and the first night they told me I didn't have to sleep in it, was pure heaven!  My foot was actually happy!!  LOL 

You are lucky that you don't have to have another surgery.  I sure wish I didn't!  And yes, we will all get through this together.  We should be good and strong then.  Hahaha!  biggrin

Beth

• Posted

Haha, I a learning it is too much work to put it on and take it off- so today- it is staying on except for exercises (5x / day I was told) and then I ice it and that is clearly the best part of my day!  It was extremely purple and swollen last night so maybe keeping the boot on will help.  

I would have had no idea of what to expect if it was not for this forum- knowing that purple is normal helps.  

Thx!

• Posted

I can't imagine sleeping w/ it, but I am so protective and paranoid over it- my hubby and me have a pillow between us!  I was put on gabapentin for nerve pain this week and it really helps at night.  Having slept thru the last 2 nights has been awesome.  Unfortunately, there is still a pain right at the inner ankle where the 2 screws are- I was hoping it was nerves, but I do not think so- it is burning and constant- occas throbs.  My plate and screws are all titanium- I thought everyone had that- did not know they made some that are not metal... that is interesting.  I see a google search in my near future!!

He Lamborghine Gal- I am assuming you have a Lamborghini?  and perhaps a beagle too- basset hounds are my absolute favorite!!  All hound dogs are pretty special for sure!

• Posted

Keeping u in prayer for no more surgeries. Afterall we get to go thru with ankle injuries, the thought of more surgery is so off setting.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hello you will not have to have surgery trust and believe in god he will work it out..what made you go to the doctor and check it out to see if something was wrong...i hated the walkin boot i was never in a cast i went straight to the walkin boot the same exact one..i had to wear it for 5 weeks then my Doctor said i didn't have to wear it any more best wishes

• Posted

I've known something was wrong for a long time, I just didn't do anything about it. I hope I don't have to have surgery. That would really, really suck. The boot is annoying, but not that bad. In 10th grade I spent about 4 months in the boot and on crutches for at least half that time.

• Posted

One week in the boot down, 2 1/2 more to go (unless ortho orders more at re-check). My ankle is pretty much in the same condition as it was a week ago which is a bit annoying because of course, you want to get better ASAP. I did tweak it a little the other day and now I have a twinge, but hopefully that'll be gone in a few days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.