Finasteride

Posted , 22 users are following.

Just wondering if there are some men who can comment on this drug.  My Urologist wants me to take it to reduce the size of my prostate.  I have very mild bph symptoms.  I even sleep through the night without having to get up.  His concern is my psa score has gone up 2 points in 3 months.  I did a 3T MRI which shows no areas of concern.  So he gave me three options.

1) Do another psa in three months.

2) Do a biopsy to see if there is any sign of cancer.

3) Take Finasteride for 6 months to shrink the prostate so if the psa score continues to increase, the prostate is smaller and therefore less samples from a biopsy are needed.

I was in favor of the Finasteride as a smaller prostate would be nice and the Urologist said there were no bad side effects.  However, from what I have read, there are side effects that are not very appealing.

I am now thinking of just waiting to do another psa in 3 months but if the score continued to rise, I will need to make some decisions.  

Anyone with thoughts regarding my three options are welcome. Plus If anyone is taking Finasteride (or a similar product), I would like to hear your experience.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I took finesteride for a couple years. It did help me especially on hesitation. No real side effects, but it did effect my libido and climax was strange at times. No biopsi without MRI guided.

Jim

• Posted

Took it for about 3 months for prostatitis and BPH and experienced very bad side effects - Libido/ED, lack of energy, mental fog and very bad insomnia. Most went away after I stopped, but it took me months to get over the insomnia. Everyone reacts different though, many don't have problems, others do. I recommend doing some internet research.

• Posted

What is your PSA score? Mine is 12 and my Canadian urologist is not overly concerned. Have had a biopsy -- benign. He claims that his American counterparts are over-aggressive. I self-cath successfully now for two years.
    • Posted

Last test was about 9 months ago, and I can't remember exactly, but it was very low after taking the finasteride, which I understand does reduce the PSA numbers.  Prior, to taking finasteride, I believe the PSA was in 3 - 4 range.  12 seems high to me.

• Posted

I would not!!  Read the studies about diminished libido!  My urologist had me do the same and stopped it do to libido issues.
  • Posted

My psa is 10.  Was 8 three months ago so that was a jump of 2 points in 3 months.  but was 16 before that.  The higest was 2 years ago 18.5 just before I had the HIFU  procedure for cancer.  According to the last 2 MRI results, there are no signs of cancer and it also has  pretty much taken care of my bph issues.  It also reduced my prostate from 98cc to 90cc.  My libido is good and everything sexually works as it did before the procedure.  I was just considering the Finasteride to reduce the size of my prostate but there are too many downside side effects

I think from what I am hearing from everyone, I will just do another psa test in 3 months and will look into the SelectDX test.  I will NOT do a biopsy unless/until an MRI shows an area of concern. 

• Posted

There is some controversy with respect to Finasteride, stemming from the PCPT, which was undertaken about 30 years ago.  Google it and educate yourself.  There's some indication that the AUA finds Finasteride safe, despite PCPT's position that it increases the probability of Gleason 7+ cancer.  

Finasteride has a host of side effects.  Loss of libido and ED are not rare; gynocomastia is also a concern. 

In about 6 months it can reduce the prostate 25% or more.  A new PSA baseline would need to be set as it will nearly halve PSA readings. Make sure you test % free PSA if total is between 4-10.  

As others have said, I would not recommend a blind 12 core TRUS Bx.   That is a shot in the dark, and especially since you did not have a  PIRADS 3 or higher on your MRI reading.  Also, a history of negative DREs to go with a negative MRI suggests there is no clinically significant cancer.  

Know your PSA density.  Take total PSA and divide it by prostate volume measured in cc's.   Example: total PSA = 10, prostate measures 100 cc.  10 divided by 100 gives 0.1.  You want PSA density to be 0.1 or lower.   A man with a PSA of 15 and a very large prostate of 150 cc would have a PSA density of 0.1, but a man with a PSA of 15 and normal-sized prostate of 25 cc would have an alarmingly high PSA density of 0.6.  The latter would be a potential warning sign of cancer; the former might just be the result of a huge prostate (normal prostate cells also express PSA into the bloodstream). 

Also, look into other tests before thinking of a biopsy:  MiPS (University of Michigan genetic markers in urine); 4Kscore (I think this was developed by Memorial Sloan Kettering); PHI (developed by Dr William Catalona at Northwestern Memorial).  

Keep us posted.  God bless you. 

Michael 

• Posted

Hi, ES,

I spent one month on Finasteride but did not stop to find out if it was beneficial for my prostate. My breasts

eveloped alarmingly over this short period, and that was enough!!!.

Warm regards. alan86734.

• Posted

Hi ES28567,

I had a cystoscopy in October 2016 after which my urologist prescribed Finasteride, telling me that possible side-effects included breast growth, loss of libido and the inability to get an erection.  I had to stop taking Finasteride because it gave me palpitations.  I would wake up in the middle of the night with a heart rate of 120 or more so my GP referred me to a cardiologist.  Both my GP and cardiologist agreed that Finasteride was the cause.  It's not a drug that I would take again.  It undoubtedly works for some people but not for me.

• Posted

I have been taking Finasteride for a couple of years and have not had any side effects, it has reduced the size of my prostate and also reduced my need to self cath from 4-6 times a day to 2-3.

I also probably have low grade prostrate cancer, I have a Pirads 4 lesion but I have refused to have a biopsy out of concern for the possible sexual side effects as I have a young wife. I figured that I could always stop the finasteride if there were SE's but a biopsy could be permanent.

Finasteride reduced my PSA from 11 to about 4 within 6 months of starting the drug and the PSA has remained at around 4 for  couple of years. Since I wont have a biopsy my VA urologists want me to continue with the finasteride indefinitely as a way to monitor the potential PCa, if my PSA begins to go up that could indicate progression.

Everybody is different for some Finasteride is a good choice for others it definitely is not, do your research consult with your Doc's and make the best choice for you...

• Posted

Find yourself the right urologist.

Many are still banking on PSAs, they are unreliable, confirmed by the founder.

I'll search and forward If you are unable to find that article.

• Posted

PSAs are tricky. Mine never went above 3.8 and I had 3+4 Cancer. I took Duodart (another 5ARI drug - Dutasteride + 4mg of Alpha blocker)+ another 4mg Alpha blocker - Prazosin for a year just ahead of my diagnosis. I suggest caution and careful reading ahead of any blind biopsy or 5ARI drug. They say biopsies don't spread any cancer they hit but you bleed  a lot for a week after and they base the lack of risk on another organ and its survival rate which to me is pretty irrelevant. MRI or PET scan and only then biopsy. Biopsies from ultrasounds are pretty useless..

Barrie Heslop

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.