Finasteride after TURP?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 65 years old and I had TURP surgery 6 days ago.  I am doing well so far; urinating decently (although with URGENCY), and without pain after catheter removal yesterday.  I had a Foley Catheter for 27 days because of urinary retention.  From what I have read in this Forum I PROBABLY WILL STILL have more challenges to come while recovering from the surgery.

The ONLY THING I KNOW FOR SURE is that I don't want to have another one UNLESS i really have to!  But I don't want urinary retention and more bladder damage in my future either!

I have been taking Flomax for years.  But I've only been taking Finasteride for about 1 1/2 months to try to reduce the size of my prostate (77 grams).  I should have started Finasteride long ago; maybe I wouldn't have needed the TURP.  Because prostate tissue sometimes grows back and again blocks the urethra AFTER TURP, I am wondering if I should ask my Urologist if my continuing to TAKE Finasteride might help REDUCE the chance of recurrence of urinary retention in the future.

Does anyone out there have experience with taking Finasteride AFTER a TURP?  Does it help?

Gary

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Read the studies that indicate that it can result in low libido and ED even after its use.
    • Edited

Thanks for your reply william10248.  I am not concerned about the sexual side effects, because diabetes and other meds have already made me impotent. 
  • Edited

I had the same surgery and from what I understood 9 out of 10 have regrowth of the prostate within 7 to 10 yrs. I have been taking finesteride for some time now 3 or 4 yrs prior to surgery and have been taking it since the surgery, which has been 2 months out now I have been struggling with having to pee in an instant and have about 5 to 8 secounds to get to the John or I'm done for. Also when I pee I have the serious sensation to poop, so with all that, my answer would have to be that the finesteride is not changing a thing for me, of course everyone has a different reaction with there surgery one is not the same as the others, best of luck to you...if my situation does not improve then my career is over (ups driver) hard to be in residential areas and have 8 secounds to pee.

• Edited

How long since the surgery? Myrbetriq could be a  godsend for you - ask your doc for a prescription. It helps with urgency a lot and most have no side effects at all. Could take a couple of months to be fully effective, but could also allow you to keep your job.
    • Edited

Thanks for sharing your experiences henrya.  I REALLY HOPE your situation improves quickly!  I'm fortunate that my TURP came after I retired, or I might be having job problems also.

• Edited

Thanks o.b it's been 2 months now. Still have that gotta go and have 5-8 secounds to make it. Also a burning deep inside by the scrotum and the feeling to poop, which sometimes I do. I will mention it to my doctor, your big time help O.B thanks.

• Edited

Finasteride doesn't shrink the prostate permanently - it can shrink it for as long as you take it, but once you stop it reverts. I would see how you do before considering it. Chances are, you'll do fine. Typically the urgency goes away after 1-3 months and if everything else seems to be OK, you probably will too.

If you need another procedure in 7-10 years, it won't be a TURP. My guess is that by then there will be many far less invasive ways to do the same thing - I think there are now and the options will only get better. Those drugs can have awful side effects that can be permanent. Stay away unless you have to take em is my suggestion and see how you do after fully recovered. Most are fine with no help.

• Edited

Finasteride does shrink the prostate, however it takes 2-6 months to be effective, and yes, to prevent the prostate from growing again and it will, you must stay on it most likely the rest of your life.As far as awful side effects; whenever you start a new drug there will be side effects as your body has to get used to it, I have been on both Flomax and Finasteride for 6 months now both pre Op and post op, very little if any side effects. In regards to the "new" surgeries, there are a couple of promising ones, but they are NEW and can only give a 5 year guarantee and they do have side effects, it is after all surgery, Bi-Polar TURP has a 7-15 year guarantee and it is not that invasive, plus tissue samples can be taken to ascertain if cancer is present, better that having a prostate biopsy, the newer surgeries can't give you that. In 7-10 years these newer procedures may prove to be effective, we shall see.

• Edited

I am wondering if I should ask my Urologist if my continuing to TAKE Finasteride might help REDUCE the chance of recurrence of urinary retention in the future.

Absolutely ask your doctor. His advice is likely to be better than that of strangers on the internet! 😃

• Edited

I am 61, my prostate is 80 grams. I just had TURP surgery done 3 days ago. Still carry the 3-way foley catheter and is experiencing horrible bladder spasm whenever I have an urge to urinate. I guess the balloon at the end of the catheter irritates my bladder. Can't wait until my doctor removing it in 1 wk after surgery. He told me to stop taking Flomax but continue taking Finasteride. If anyone else was told differently from your urologist, I would like to know.

• Edited

The urologist removed 50 grams from mine in 2009. I never spent the night in the hospital and my catheter was removed before I left. But, the next day I had to go to his office to get relief. I was OK after that, but I sometimes would have minor bleeding. I was told that my Finasteride I'm taking helps with the bleeding situation. I have rare bleeding episodes nowadays.

I previously had him do a TUMT procedure, but I told a sibling not to do that as it was a waste of time and money. He went straight to the TURP and made out very well.

My PSA was as high as 16 but there wasn't any cancer. The urologist said he only had two like me in his practice at that point. He had many a patient, but now he has left the area.

Too bad because he was well liked.

• Posted

Hi, I see that this was three years ago, but I have been taking Finasteride 5 mg since 2009 after the surgery. I don't have a problem with it. But, now I dribble when I run water for dishes or brushing my teeth. [No dentures yet] Very annoying and I resorted to wearing male guards in my briefs. They work well though and sometimes I get several days before changing it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.