Finasteride and depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

A warning to prescribers of Finasteride in the UK,

MHRA/CHM advice: rare reports of depression and suicidal thoughts (May 2017)

The MHRA has received reports of depression and, in rare cases, suicidal thoughts in men taking finasteride (Propecia®wink for male pattern hair loss; depression is also associated with Proscar® for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Patients should be advised to stop finasteride immediately and inform a healthcare professional if they develop depression.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't be surprised at all if men suffering the symptoms of BPH and those worried about hair loss could become clinically depressed in time.  Putting the blame solely on Finasteride is going to be hard to prove. If you read back through the years on the link between Finasteride/Dutasteride and depression you will find references to loss of libido as well as BPH and hair loss, all of them issues that could cause a man to become depressed. Yes, by all means stop taking the medication but when the symptoms of BPH remain,  hair keeps on falling out and loss of libido continues and the depression still remains, what are you going to blame then.  On the other hand what about when the medication clears up the BPH symptoms and the depression that has plagued you for years disappears along with those symptoms.  Not everthing in life is as simple as blaming a drug, it's often seated in the mind.  Been there got the tee-shirt, etc.

• Posted

After the disaster of my surgical treatment for BPH, constantly working to fight off depression has been my daily battle..   i think the BENIGN part of BPH is a grossly misleading adjective.  It may not be cancer, but it sure isn't benign.

• Posted

I could not agree more. Also I had to stop taking the drug because I immediately slipped into depression

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.