Finasteride, has anyone been told to continue with this drug after Rezum.

Posted , 10 users are following.

My doctor has had me on Finasteride for 2 months now after having a Rezum proceedure. Everything is working well so is it prudent to continue with this drug as there are many side effects and the procedure was effective?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It really doesn't make sense for you to continue the finasteride. In my opinion this is one of those situations where you just stop taking it because you know what your own situation is better than the doctor does. And you are the person who has to live with the side effects, not him.

My urologist said that I should continue to take tamsulosin afterwards, but I was peeing well, and wanted to get off it. At my next appointment, I told him that I had stopped taking it. As it turned out, he didn't care that I had stopped taking it on my own, especially when I explained that I didn't need it.

• Posted

Hi Harry, I had the UROLIFT done 2 years ago. I was on Finasteride for 2 years before the URO. Some of the symptoms returned and back on FINASTERIDE. I now take it every other night and my nocturia symtoms and are better. .some reduced semen, but really no side affects.. Has been effective for me. I plan to stay on it. Best of luck. Steve

• Posted

Hey there Harry

You should be able to get off of that pill yes there are to many side effect. Did you ask your doctor and what did he have to say.

Most of the time having a procedure done is why we have it to get off the pills. You can always try it to see what happens.

But I would ask the doctor first.

• Posted

Harry,

Drugs like Finisteride can cause reduced libido and ED. The doctors don't tell you it is permanent. You don't go back to normal when you stop taking it. Think about it, if you develop man boobs, it's a physical thing, they don't go away after you stop.

If your OK with all that, you could continue taking it because it probably will keep your prostate from growing back.

Thomas

• Posted

I agree with Ken...the procedure is done to relieve the symptoms and in the best case it works. Either one or the other. I had my procedure done in October 2017 and never took any of those pills thereafter.

• Posted

Hi Harry, Can you provide any details in why you decided with Rezum and what symptoms you had. And how you're progressing after the surgery.?

• Posted

Hi Tom, I had all the symptoms that most guys have with BPH...urgency, 4-5 trips to the bathroom every night, trouble starting and then not emptying the bladder, always on the lookout for a bathroom . I chose the Rezum procedure because it seemed to be the least intrusive of the lot. I had an 82 gr. prostate and received only 4 steam shots (I was expecting 6 to 8) The procedure went easily enough but recovery was difficult with having a foley bag on for 3 1/2 weeks and then convincing my Dr. to let me self cath. I would recommend self catheterizing after the first week if a catheter was needed....some guys need em while some don't. I'm 7 weeks post rezum and doing well. Only 1 or 2 trips per night, strong flow and no urgency issue.

• Posted

Manufacturers reps known as detail people bring samples to doctors and offer incentives to push it to patients. Many do and many will not. For the most part these drugs do little or nothing but could be harmful.

• Posted

That is true about the people that push the medication. And some doctors will give it to you because they look at the good in the pill to help you not at the side effect of the pill

That is why when you get a new medication you have to read up on the side effects and if you do not want to deal with them you tell the doctor no. That is your right.

You have to voice your concern

All the best to all.........Ken

• Posted

Proscar/Avodart turned me into a eunuch after 5 years and after that time I am tied to it for the rest of my life. Throw it in the garbage asap!!

• Posted

Harry,

I had a Rezum at the end of November 2018 by a urologist outside of my insurance plan. Three months later, I saw the urologist in my insurance plan and they said to stay on the Finasteride to prevent the prostate from growing back. I get his logic on this because the big unknown with Rezum is how long it will last because it is such a new procedure. I decided to stay on the Finasteride, because unlike Tamsulosin which gave me some bad side effects like blurry vision, I had no bad side effects from Finasteride, and it did fill in my bald spot.

Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.