Finasteride (Proscar or Propecia) question

Posted , 8 users are following.

Are any of you here on Proscar for treating a enlarged prostate or Propecia for treating hair loss? The main drug in both is Finasteride and I was reading where it can give false PSA test results. If this is the case how does your oncologist check your PSA test results. I currently use Saw Palmetto for treating enlarged prostate and a lazy bladder but have been thinking about adding Propecia for my hair loss. But the fact is if it causes advanced prostate cancer by misleading PSA test results I'm not sure the risk is worth it. Any replys would be appreciated.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

PSA is unreliable.

Cancer will happen whether u r 0.00 or 200.

I'll send u the article where the founder admitted it if u r unable to produce it.

My BPH improved when alcohol was excluded from my diet.

• Posted

You need to stop Saw Palmetto for a few days before a PSA test as well
  • Posted

Propecia is an antiandrogen. 

Prostate Ca is androgen driven.

Ergo if anything Finasteride should decrease your risk for getting Prostate Ca.

The dose is different between Propecia and Proscar. Propecia is 1mg and Proscar is 5mg.

• Posted

My 28ry old nephew tried it for hair loss only, after a couple of months he suffered from erectile dysfunction and stopped, fortunately it did not have permanent side effects.

I tried it for a while for BPH, it made me feel listless although I did not get ED. I stopped it after 3 months. I have a full head of hair so didn't need it anyway for that :-)

• Posted

I took another 5ARI drug that was supposed to [u]mostly[/u] reduce prostate size by altering testosterone to change cell structure. It also reduced PSA outcomes. My GP later suspected PCa from the PSA outcomes still. It's not so much the number but the variation that aroused his suspicion. A MRI detected 3+4 = 7 PCa and Open RP left me 2 years of incontinence following a long and hard recovery from the rest of the ops effect on my body. I was on Alpha-blocker, Prazosin for my BPH before the 5ARI. They knew it would require an increase from the 4mg a day dose after 2 years but no one bothered to do the research. They wouldn't prescribe more than the 4mg and the 5ARI unfortunately came into play. Don't worry about the PSA number. The variance will help detect any PCa with a MRI. Check the 5ARI though with the TGA's DAEN. If you find any PCas there write to TGA and ask what Gleason Score and check if the drug company reported the adversity. They are legally required to report any "serious" adverse events of their products.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.