Find that Afib is connected to stomach issues.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am so pleased to have found this sight on Afib and bloating, has and stomach distress. Ive mentioned to others who say there's no connection. Am supposed to have an echo and colonoscopy next week for stomach problems and constipation and am now again in Afib. I think there's a connection .

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

When I had a colonoscopy it stimulated my vagus nerve and put me into AF, It certainly scared them as my BP and heart rate dropped alarmingly and they had to start pumping drugs into me.The good news was that the colonoscopy was clear.

• Posted

I'm having an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same appointment. I'm afraid if I show up with Afib they won't do the procedure. However, I'm beginning to think that the stomach issues and vagus nerve may be the culprits for the Afib. At least once a month I develop Afib for 3-4 days and then self regulates. It's been 6 weeks since my last one. But before the Afib, I had really bad bloating, burping, etc. Now I'm wondering is I need to see a nutritionist to help with my diet. This site has given me so much to think about regarding my heath issues. I live in the U.S. No one here seems to connect the two.

• Posted

HI. My son has vagal Afib . How dangerous is it to go through procedures/ anestheic ? Now, Im worried about something else!

• Posted

Hi Carol,

I have had stomach troubles for a good number of years, and had a couple of endoscopies that revealed nothing adverse. My symptoms were acid reflux and much bloating and burping.

Then in late 2016 I was diagnosed with atrial flutter, followed a couple of weeks later by a stroke. Other than age (68) I had no other risk factors for either. It seemed that when my stomach was bloated, palpitations or AF would set in, fortunately not lasting too long.

Eventually, like you are asking, I went to see a nutritionist and found I was significantly intolerant of cows milk, and hence all things dairy. I have now changed my diet and bloating and acid are mostly a thing of the past, and my heart is the better for it. I also only use a protein-pump inhibitor (Omeprozole is one example in the UK) on the rare occasion that I indulge in something dairy, whereas I used to take it on a daily basis.

I take a supplement called Nutrimonium which is good for gut bacteria and eat well with plenty of fruit and veg, plus nuts every day, especially almonds, and also bananas to ensure plenty of support for the heart.

I don't believe the AF was caused by the stomach problems, but believe bloating especially can trigger the AF or palpitations, so control of stomach is critical. I still lead an active life and cycle and walk regularly.

Good luck in your quest for resolution of your AF and stomach problems.

Best Regards

Sherpa Al

• Posted

I twice had an anesthetic and they were concerned about it and did an echocardiogram first. They are always very careful.

• Posted

are you on blood thinners? They can affect your stomach

• Posted

I was on xarelto briefly, but I couldn't tolerate the side effects. Ask to try a different blood thinner and see if the stomach problems improve.

• Posted

I agree. I think for some people there can definitely be a connection. One of my triggers seems to be if I eat fatty and greasy foods ( a substantial amount at a meal). I also make sure that I do not lie down too soon after eating.

• Posted

Research shows clearly the association between gut problems and AF. If your Dr is say no then you need another doc. I assume you are seeing an EP for your AF

Gastrointestinal comorbidities associated with atrial fibrillation

François Laliberté, Yuliya Moore, [...], and Patrick is one article you can google.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.