finding best urolift provider?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello guys, this forum has been useful to me as I think through my options.  Nothing's guaranteed, but urolift appears most least risky, for the time being anyway.  I'm joining the forum because the urology practice I've been seeing (here in Santa Cruz California) has just started doing the procedure.  As with any even minimally invasive procedure, experience counts and a track record is essential... and this is still a new treatment.  So I'm trying to figure out how to find the most experienced providers and how to assess their track record.  Not knowing my way around this world, I am tempted to just try to get into the Mayo clinic in Arizona, based on their general reputation... but it would be good to have some sense of the lay of the land...  So I would be grateful if anyone could point me to a resource that offers that sort of data (eg, number of procedures done over time, complaints, outcome data...?) or at least shared personal knowledge along those lines... thanks!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Do your research well and choose an established and good uro. My Urolift was a complete failure with some lasting negative side effects. Some guys have had good success. Good luck.
  • Posted

Best to find one that have had some patients you can talk to them. Also make sure   you find a doctor that will put you out and it is not performed in a office.  He what the best exsperience not one of the horror storys.  Look up Urolift in your area and see who has been doing them for a while.  Had mine 2 1/2 years ago  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken:

Many urologists are taking urolift out of the hospital and into the office surgical suite using just a local. sad

• Posted

We do the Urolift in our office under anesthesia; hospitals have issues including infection rates as well as significant time delays. Performing the procedure in the office if anesthesia is offered allows patients to be comfortable with spending a minimal amount of their day dedicated to having the procedure done.
    • Posted

Yes I think that is a shame.  My doctor is doing some of the procedures in office.  I know he did a friends vesetomy in the back office but most of the other procedures are done in the same building in the surgery center.   I don't think any man should have anything done while he is awake.  Have a great day  Ken

• Posted

Having  anesthesia in the office would be nice.  IT would be alot cheaper  for the patient  Ken
    • Posted

Absolutely.

With the increase in deductibles, our patients were getting huge bills from their insurers for "facility fees" from surgery centers and hospitals.

Being able to offer our patients procedures and anesthesia in the office has saved them a lot of money.

• Posted

Good Morning Jersey:

Does your facility offer male nurses for men who are not comfortable being so intimately exposed in front of female nurses?

Thanks.

Raffie

• Posted

Can you imagine a gynecological office telling a woman they only have male nurses? Or a lab doing mammograms saying there are no female technicians.

In NJ I underatand that it is imperative that a male doctor have a female "chaperone" present when examining a female patient.

Perhaps in th einterest of equality all hospitals and medical offices shold be required to have an equal proportion of male and female personnel???

• Posted

We hire equal opportunity.

If we have qualified candidates, we hire them.

It is illegal to discriminate based on sex

There are very few male employees at our surgery centers and hospital ORs as well.

It is generally not an issue for our patients

• Posted

The gender gap also exhibits itself with grammar school teachers. Very few males will be hired by school districts.
    • Posted

Can't speak for the schools but assume it is in many industries.

In medicine, nursing schools and medical assistant schools predominantly have female students.

We receive fewer than 1% male applicants for positions.

Anyone going into this field should be professional and qualified, so I would hope that the sex of the person aiding in ones care shouldn't matter

• Posted

Raffie,

My former urologist used an outside male PA for urodynamic testing, and did indicate that his patients appreciated that. Even his own female nurses were not present for "intimate" exams unless absolutely needed. On the other hand, I learned how to do CIC at a teaching hospital by a female PA in a semi-private room where you got the feeling that anyone could walk in. Not a great experience on multiple levels. 

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim:

It’s nice to see some urologists are using male caregivers for their male patients. I’m sure they really appreciate it and those are the urologists that will gain patients.

Women have NO business teaching guys how to self-cath. Do male nurses teach women how to do it? I don't think so.That’s more BS.

I like many other guys know, if urologists/urology departments were to survey their male patients and asked them would they be more comfortable with male caregivers, they would be surprised at just how many men say yes they would prefer male caregivers.

The reason men have so much trouble getting same gender care is twofold.

One. The field of male nursing is still relatively in its infancy.

Two. The way society in general views the sexes.

Society has for ages viewed women as precious fragile individuals who need to be nurtured and protected. At the same time, men have been viewed by society as being emotionless brutes.

Two views that couldn’t be further from the truth.

One day women all the sudden decided they’d had enough of being exposed in front of strange males so they started raising their voices against the system that the healthcare industry had in place at the time.

The healthcare industry listened and male x-ray technicians were taken out of the role of giving a women a breast exam and male nurses were taken out of women’s labor rooms.

So they made changes and started protecting women’s privacy and dignity.

So what about a man’s privacy and dignity?

Because society and the healthcare industry still view men as emotionless brutes, they felt changes weren’t applicable.

They'd rather trade dollars for lives so to keep from spending the funds necessary to hire male personnel the US healthcare industry is using a male weakness against men.

Society’s archaic view of men has been that they are strong and emotionless because of that view of how men are “supposed to be” most men out of fear of being seen or interpreted as being weak will NOT say anything in a medical setting that they know they are completely uncomfortable with. The medical community knows this weakness and uses it against men on a daily basis.

Men have the same rights as women so they should WITHOUT QUESTION be afforded same gender care for all intimate related exams, tests, or procedures if they so choose.

Next time the nurse tells you “there’s no modesty here”, look her straight in the eye & reply “okay if that’s the case you strip down too”. See how fast she turns on you then. I’m soo tired of their BS.

If a facility requires a chaperone then that facility should be obligated to have both male and female personnel on staff and the patient must have the last say as to who will be the chaperone. If only one sex is available, then the patient should have the right of refusal of having any chaperone at all.

Men everywhere must start standing up for their right to choose. No more wimping out with your okay with something when you’re really not.

When men stand together as one and say enough is enough, the healthcare industry will have to make changes and take better care of their male patients physical and more importantly their emotional and psychological needs.

It is what it is, doesn’t mean it is what it has to be. SPEAK UP the system has to change. There’s NO reason as more men enter the medical technician and nursing field that directives cannot be put into place that if a male patient wants male caregivers only, then that’s what he gets.

The way men are being treated has left a real sour taste in their mouths.

Men are continuing to walk away from needed healthcare rather than hand over their dignity and respect at the door. This has to stop.

Men are human beings first and foremost and deserve to be treated with the same level of respect the medical community affords women.

The US healthcare industry needs a refresher course in CPR.

Choice. Give ALL patients the right to choose same gender care.

Privacy. Protect the patient’s right to privacy as if it were your own privacy.

Respect. Respect all patient’s the same way you’d want to be respected if you were in their shoes.

It’s up to you guys. What do you say?

Regards to all,

Raffie.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.